• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Art Supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hey guys, ive got a few questions.
What would you say is the best way (money is concerning me)
to get your ideas onto the computer. I already have a scanner and what
i have been doing is drawing on paper then scanning it then drawing over
my pencil lines with the mouse on the comp.

Would you say it would be better all together if i bought i tablet and drew
right onto the computer? would this allow for better coloring later on?

Would it better to get a tablet but still sketch on paper then go over my lines on the computer w/ the tablet?

Let me know what you guys think, wanna win the concept art challenge for 25 rep :DD

-inverted

Tablets are good. Don't get an extremely cheap one, but get one that is the right price. The cheap ones sometimes aren't even worth it.

It really depends on what you prefer for the last part. I mean, sketching it out on paper then on the comp would take a bit more work. It is kind of to your preference. I would just use the tablet fully.

Tablets don't only help for the drawing portion, but the coloring as well.

Level 45
I found art to be easier digitally when i brought my tablet, but it took time to get use to. Tablets are good at mimicing traditional methods and is more realistic in use than a mouse, its also alot faster and smoother.
Tablets are good in pretty much all aspects beside you becoming dependent on them, their cost and some possible work flow (making you feel like you need to rush).
I wouldnt buy a cheap crappy brand if i was you, wacom only as they are the only reliable trust worthy brand. Find a cheap wacom on ebay and make sure its 6x8inch+ and is usb based anything smaller is a waste of money.
Also, ill say again, tablets take time to get use to, they are a tool, they help aid you, they do not give you awesome drawing powers and shit :/

Level 26
Ink your pictures by hand then scan them. Drawing anything with a mouse is pretty bad, because you can't control the thickness of the line. Even tracing the lines exactly looks weird with a mouse.

EDIT: Or get a tablet. If you have $$$ to spare.

Last edited:
Level 10
Wow thanks for the all input guys!
I know this educational website where i got the educational version of max 8 for 400 bux then max 9 was shipped to me free so ill get my wacom there! Thanks for all the help.

PS: What do you recommend most for drawing straight on the computer in terms of programs. like the exact name of the program that you think uses the tablet best.

Okay guys i've been looking and im thinking of getting this one.
As i said before im looking for a really good high quality tablet, i will use it for a very long time and dont want something thats so-so.

This is what i found:

12x19 Wacom Intuos3 Tablet - $648.95

This looks like very high quality and it sounds good.
What do you guys think? My monitor is a 27" so it said that this tablet would work best.

Lookin for your guys' input.
-inverted

Last edited by a moderator:
12x19 Wacom Intuos3 Tablet - $648.95

This seems fine to me. I mean, there are some Tablets on Ebay for really really cheap prices. That seems like a good deal.

What do you recommend most for drawing straight on the computer in terms of programs. like the exact name of the program that you think uses the tablet best.

I think you could use OpenCanvas or Photoshop. I use Photoshop CS3 and I love it. But it made me quit wc3 for a long long time ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.