• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Studio Art vs. Digital Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Yeah, this topic. What do you think?

I'll give my opinion: I like studio art better. It's more fun for me to grab a can of spray paint or some thick sharpies and draw/paint on a surface that I can feel right in front of me than to grab a mouse or a pen tablet and stare at a computer screen. Studio art is just so much more real for me.

Level 36
Pencil and paper, though quite frankly I cant really say my oppinion about the matter, since I've never touched Photoshop before. I've used Gimp though :p Yet, that doesnt really count, do it?

No, pencil and paper will always be the best! :p

Level 6
Traditional media are a lot more fun, and satisfying. It's also more portable. Although, I guess with digital you could use a laptop, I'd much rather carry a sketchbook and some markers or a set of watercolours. With traditional work at least you never lose work due to a sudden power cut. >_<

Digital art, for me, is a lot about convenience. There's no mess, it doesn't take up too much room and you can stop and start at a moment's notice. Undo is always a godsend, although sometimes when I'm painting digitally, I'll just go over my mistakes like I would if I were painting traditionally, it depends on my mood really. Being able to return to old saves is also useful, it just seems sometimes like all those conveniences can become a crutch sometimes, if you see what I mean. I think it's just a little too safe at times. Another unfortunate thing about digital art, is the filters that many programs include. Or rather, the misuse of them, slopping on a watercolour filter to a random picture, adding a lens flare, and calling it art. On the other hand, the tools provided, when used correctly, can produce some amazing effects.

Sorry if this was too rambly. >_<
If I had to pick between the two, I'd honestly have a hard time, my preference at any given time has a lot to do with my mood.

Level 16
Digital. I practice anatomy and poses with pencils, but in digital you have so much different brushes and colours that it beats studio. There is much more you can do digitally that you cant do on paper. Plus, its not so messy. To work with paint you will have to have a studio for one, lots of expensive paint, and time. Digital you can just click -> save, paintwork has to be stored in a dry area etc. Still i love a huge painting, but for my use i like digital way better.

Traditional media are a lot more fun, and satisfying. It's also more portable. Although, I guess with digital you could use a laptop, I'd much rather carry a sketchbook and some markers or a set of watercolours. With traditional work at least you never lose work due to a sudden power cut. >_<

Laptops always yell at you when the battery starts to get low. So you have time to save and all.

Also, I'm getting this: http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/

Level 35
I prefer digital since it is cleaner and I can do more with it skill wise.

I am not good at painting on a canvas, since...I can't fix the layers or undo. But with photoshop I can streamline what I do and I don't have to wait for paint to dry and while waiting, lose my drive to make the piece.

Hum.. i don,t know..

In paper and pencil art, you make your drawing faster, you see the results faster, you have more fun doing it also, because your using a pencil and not a mouse.. like you actualy feel it! when you make each lines..

but digital, you can make much more details and lightning effects etc. and it's easier to make texture.. so at the end, a nice digital art is 10 times better (epic looking and feeling) than a traditional art.. but it takes more time.. D:

so the two are good :p, but traditionnal can be done in boring chemastry classes.. so ..

Level 6
Oh, something I forgot, the texture, and tangibility of "real life" art, or the way that the way light plays off of the brush strokes on the canvas. I know there are programs/plugins that can mimic this effect, but it's a poor imitation.

That's why you have professional printing :p
Prints are great, but the texture of prints, whether matte or gloss, doesn't complement the art like the texture of paint on canvas, or may other media can do. And a one-off is better, or more personal in some cases, than something that's been printed off a thousand times.

I don't know if this is veering too off-topic, but the same applies to sculpture vs 3D modelling software. (Although technology does seem to be blurring the line here, aren't there machines that can digital 3D models to 3D sculpture?)

One final thing: Art theft. Yes, with traditional work, someone can copy your style, or your ideas, they could trace your work. But with digital work, you can do all that, do it easier, and so much more. >_< People can duplicate your work, claim it as their own, spread it all over the internet. Although that I guess is just a product of our technologies, and the time we live in. And I guess even studio work is not safe, if you upload photos/scans, people can always get their hands on it, and edit, or again, just claim as their own.

A.R., lack of an undo can be good in some cases, either that it can make you be more careful and work harder to produce something good, or in the other extreme, it can teach you to correct, hide, or perhaps even make something better from your mistakes. That said, I wouldn't want anyone to ever take my undo away from me, and when I'm not working digitally, I do miss it like crazy sometimes. (I know I'm not the only one who's tried to Ctrl-z away from my computer.)

Prints are great, but the texture of prints, whether matte or gloss, doesn't complement the art like the texture of paint on canvas, or may other media can do. And a one-off is better, or more personal in some cases, than something that's been printed off a thousand times.
You can get prints on canvas. :D

One final thing: Art theft. Yes, with traditional work, someone can copy your style, or your ideas, they could trace your work. But with digital work, you can do all that, do it easier, and so much more. >_< People can duplicate your work, claim it as their own, spread it all over the internet. Although that I guess is just a product of our technologies, and the time we live in. And I guess even studio work is not safe, if you upload photos/scans, people can always get their hands on it, and edit, or again, just claim as their own.
Yep, scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.