• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Argus, homeworld of the Eredar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Hello community!

I present to you a little sneak preview of Argus, homeworld of the Eredar. Before the coming of Sargeras. I started modding again. Below are some screenshots of a soon to be announced project of mine.

I'm looking for some uncorrupted Eredar (draenei) decoration models. Do any of you terrain experts know of such models and where to find them? Or something simillar? Currenly, I'm just reskinning ingame doodads.

18-jpg.267856

Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg

13-jpg.267664

14-jpg.267665

eredar01-jpg.274845

eredar02-jpg.274846

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Well, glad you like it :) It's the first time for many years that I've used cliffs. Normally I would just raise the terrain. But the old school cliffs fits for this project.

Are those skins available for public use?
Not currently I'm afraid. I'm making those textures for my project. And as with most of all projects resources aren't usually released until it's completed or cancelled.
I dont really want to publish these yet, since much of the work is still WIP. I'd rather wait and release them all in a pack when they're done.

However, send me a PM with your request to the specific texture you'd like and I can give it to you ;)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
It is still WIP. And those aren't standard trees. It's made by HerrDave. And yes, I plan on making a new grass tileset texture.

Well, the project will have both cinematics, dungeon crawling and melee aspects.

but for a cinematic I would use way more decoration objects.

I'm looking for some uncorrupted Eredar (draenei) decoration models.

;)

Got inspiration from this for the terrain:

artwork-naaru-crashsite-full.jpg

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Wait, those trees are re-skinned Blizz ones? WOW... I mean, you're good but, damn, that's good.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

It can be downloaded here: Spruce Tree

Guys, read the thread ;)

Oh...oops ._.

On a side note - do you know how HerrDave reacts to modding the texture? Askins since I'd like to add a orange-red flavour for a more flamboyant forest and autumn terrain.

Also - I COULD help with textures somewhat - though my skills are limited.

Level 28
Looking sweet, Archian.

Those trees are fine for me, though I would recommend to avoid filming them from their side on your cinematic, as they don't look that good from that angle (pic below) and may break the magic.

trees.jpg

Yes, the skins are great (just the stairs of the throne are too bright and could be better shaded though), keep rocking!

Edit: About the models, I can't remember anything of use right now, but you can edit Northrend's Crystal model and give it an opaque texture to fit the reference image you posted. Just mess around with it with the Model Editor > Materials I guess

Hello Archian, welcome welcome to our shady laid-back old sofa that breaks sometimes :^]

I think that you're on the verge of getting the look just about right. BUT...but what screams as too much to me is the fog and the over-usage of crystals. I mean, they're fine in moderate amounts and in groups following some kind of construction pattern or natural growths 'round the edges but overdosed they're just a no to the NO for the eye.

I'd go for a better integrated crystal look if I were you. For example, think of this or this and try to take something from it while keeping it your work.
See how the crystals sprout out from the ground while being kept at a reasonable amount? Now try fiddling 'round the given idea.

Another example could be this. It gives out a positive vibe with the dense vegetation and the various natural features. Not to mention how the Eredar civilization coexists alongside its surroundings without much damage ('least before the Sargeras encounter). That alone says much about the race's whole understanding of its own world.

Take that and go wild with cities that are green and have different constructions around or floating areas if you want something more fantasy-like.
Don't forget to variate the vegetation even more. @Talavaj has a pretty impressive repertoire of resources 'round his thread here. Check it out!

'regards Heinvers :]

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Thank you all for your feedback guys. It's much appreciated!
I think that you're on the verge of getting the look just about right. BUT...but what screams as too much to me is the fog and the over-usage of crystals.
Thank you, I hear what you say. I will definitely decrease the amount of crystals in the real map. The screenshots was taken from a test map, where I experiment with diffrent terrains and units.

Another example could be this. It gives out a positive vibe with the dense vegetation and the various natural features. Not to mention how the Eredar civilization coexists alongside its surroundings without much damage ('least before the Sargeras encounter). That alone says much about the race's whole understanding of its own world.
Yes I have seen that terrain. I use it for reference for the capitol of Argus, Mac'Aree. Right now I'm just testing diffrent doodads for walls etc. since there's hardly any Eredar (draenei) models out there. Seeing what works and what doesn't etc.

6.jpg

ake that and go wild with cities that are green and have different constructions around or floating areas if you want something more fantasy-like.
Don't forget to variate the vegetation even more. @Talavaj has a pretty impressive repertoire of resources 'round his thread here. Check it out!

Thank for the hint. I will check out some of his stuff then :)

edit Northrend's Crystal model
Northrend doesn't have any crystal model. You must be thinking about the Icecrown Glazier Crystal, which I already use ;)

Also trying to design some creep camp locations for the melee part of the map. Going to add more rubble and vegetation. Using your texture for the Snap Dragon @Heinvers <3

I call them Viperwolfs, native animal of Argus.

7.jpg

A crystal golem.
8.jpg

A Great Ikran, flying predator native to Argus.

9.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Level 28
Northrend doesn't have any crystal model. You must be thinking about the Icecrown Glazier Crystal, which I already use ;)

Oops that's the one! Hehe. Anyway I meant that those crystals can be made more opaque (just like your reference) instead of transparent like you're using them. Like this:

CrystalsEdit.png

I opened one of the crystals in Mago's Model Editor, then I went Windows > Material Manager, changed the only MaterialLayer filter mode to None, then created a few new material layers using the same texture but with filter mode Add Alpha. Just an example of what I meant - you may get a result closer to your liking if you fool around more with it (the model is attached below).

Your creep camps are good (although the 1st one is messier than the 2nd), and your terrain is developing nicely according to your reference. So I think that's it =P Expecting your next skins and terrains!

Attachments

• Icecrown_Crystal0Edited.mdx
    6.2 KB · Views: 115

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Nice, thanks man! I see your point.

Currently trying to find more creeps to use in the melee that fits the fantasy. I use Doom Ravager with shiik's Hound skin adding the latest addtion to Argus's native predators, the Great Leonopteryx.

10.jpg

Again, keep in mind that this is still just testing out stuff to see if it works well and to get your feedback and suggestions.

As you can see below this is just a map full of experiments, that means the real map will look a lot better with more details, doodads, tileset textures etc. (currently working on a new grass and dirt texture fit for Argus)

testmap.jpg

It looks pretty awesome with a new texture.

Attachments

• Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Is it Pandora inspired in some parts?
It is indeed :) Thought that the fantasical type beast from Pandora would fit the world of Argus. I also plan on using music from the Protoss, as it fits perfectly for the master race of the Eredar, an equally powerful advanced race like the Protoss.

Just imagine building an Eredar base to this soundtrack:

Speaking of the hound skin, you just gave me an idea for the blue felstalker skin.
Good job!
Haha nice, I think I know what you are thinking of ;) Because my original idea was to use shiik's skin as a Thanator ;)

thanator_2009_01.jpg

If you decide to make a texture for the blue Felstalker skin, I'd gladly put it in this project :D

Level 36
Archian, looking great! Really great use of more contemporary models and textures while retaining the Warcraft feel. In the first screenshot, I'm really happy about your use of structures and trees to frame a well-proportioned space surrounded by negative space. Should make for a good scenario.

I have a few suggestions
- The cliff tex is really high contrast, maybe darken it or lower the intensity a bit?
- Understory details could really enhance your groundplane - think small shrubs, patches of flowers, and rocks or chunks of debris.
- Personally, I'd aim for two or three more tree models. At the minimum, another pine of similar size/form with a slightly varied texture, and a dead tree or larger canopy tree. Having canopy trees really increases immersion in playable terrain.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Thanks guys :) Good to be back at it.

Another example of a creep camp. I've retextured some ingame Rubble models and added more understory details (shrubs and big ass flowers for fantasy effect).

I think it looks a bit messy. I would prefer a cleaner style for this map but that would result in fewer doodads. I need to find some that fits perfectly with the enviroment. What do you guys think?

I really don't like the ingame shrubs. Do any of you guys have any suggestions for what to use instead? I've looked though our model section, but didn't really find any that suits this map.

11.jpg

Personally, I'd aim for two or three more tree models. At the minimum, another pine of similar size/form with a slightly varied texture, and a dead tree or larger canopy tree. Having canopy trees really increases immersion in playable terrain.
Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I will look into that :)

EDIT: Added another tree model. Using a canopy tree model by HerrDave that uses the same texture as the pine tree.

12.jpg

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Looking good, Archian.

~Void~ is dead on with the trees. They look gorgeous, but desperately need an extra set of variations. Even a larger scale variation would be nice.

What will inevitably make or break this is lighting details. Since it's ripe with arcane magic and the sorts, I'd probably go with a denser fog too.

You could try out some arcane scorch marks in the ground for understory details, like in this piece by Kirsi Salonen.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Yeah, I know he used the Underground Ice Chunks texture.

Oh, and I just noticed he uploaded a map with the purple glow model XD Thanks, this will come in handy :)

This is starting to take shape. Thanks for the suggestions @~Void~ & @fladdermasken

13.jpg
14.jpg

Arcane Ore Vein.

Too much?

15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
Amazing. The textures especially.

ArchianHall.png

If the circled zone will be represented, it should be filled with something. Otherwise I'll be the first to say that it doesn't even look like warcraft III from how good that is.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Believe it or not, but these pics remind me of what one can do with Galaxy Editor if he has skills. Pretty good.
Nice compliment :)
If the circled zone will be represented, it should be filled with something.
By all means, if you have any suggestions feel free to share :) I'm thinking about some arcane braziers?
fits with draenei race.
Great, that's what I'm aiming for. Although, in this case it's the Eredar race (before they became Draenei).

Level 7
These look awesome. From a lore standpoint tho, a few pointers:you might wanna put in a few machines cause Argus was described as a planet with advanced magic and technology. Also the hills around the main city are described as "purple hills" (nothing compares to them), and the rivers of Argus were glowing even at night. Great job nevertheless!

i dunno how useful they'd be as doodads/decorations, but i made some building models for my draenei race https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/thw-tc11-draeneigt-w3x.266723/

draeneitechtree-png.267221

would your project be able to support melee gameplay? if so, it'd be awesome if you let me import my race into your map ^^ (though would be weird since there's a lot of draenor-era stuff too)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
YO ARCHIAN! THIS IS CRAZY GOOD!
Thanks man :)

you might wanna put in a few machines cause Argus was described as a planet with advanced magic and technology. Also the hills around the main city are described as "purple hills" (nothing compares to them), and the rivers of Argus were glowing even at night.
Indeed. That is the plan. The above screenshot was just testing stuff out. There will be magical constructs and technology. The Eredar was a master race kind of like the Protoss which I also use for inspiration (and soundtrack).
The main city you refer to must be Mac'Aree. It will be featured in this mod ;) More information on this whole project will come, when I'm done formatting a Map Development thread.

i dunno how useful they'd be as doodads/decorations, but i made some building models for my draenei race
Dude, that's awesome! Just what I need :) I already use the models made by SinisterX Draenei Pack - Wc3C.net (as so many others because there doesn't exist a lot of Eredar/Draenei buildings).
I see that you edited some of his models and made some new ones too. Cool! :) Willing to make some more? ;)

would your project be able to support melee gameplay? if so, it'd be awesome if you let me import my race into your map ^^ (though would be weird since there's a lot of draenor-era stuff too)
Indeed it will have melee aspects :D I can see from your map that we have simillar ideas for a techtree & units for a Eredar/Draenei race ^^ Your race would be a perfect addtion. However, there would have to be a few changes to it, though. As well as some new textures. Perhaps we can discuss this in a PM?

How come you haven't really made(or rather released) creature/animal skins so far? Given your expertise and this project, it could go ways...
Well, I'm using most of my modding time to make the maps needed for this campaign, as well as preparing this project to be announced with all the information stuff. But I do intend to make more textures that I need for this project. I could actually use some help in this regard reskinning a few units, tilesets and doodads. Would you be interesting in helping out? Or any other texture artists for that matter

Dude, that's awesome! Just what I need :) I already use the models made by SinisterX Draenei Pack - Wc3C.net (as so many others because there doesn't exist a lot of Eredar/Draenei buildings).
I see that you edited some of his models and made some new ones too. Cool! :) Willing to make some more? ;)
no sorry, i've left my modding days behind so i won't be making any more assets. if you choose to, you may edit the models to your liking and use/repurpose any stuff i've made so long as appropriate credit is given to me and the original creators (credit list can be found in the map's triggers). two unit models that you may find useful, which you can't find anything similar in design or quality, are the vindicator and draenei crossbowman. i've also got some decent outland stuff (e.g. elekk riders and nether rays), but they wouldn't fit argus lore-wise.

Level 36
Really liking the textures Archian.

And overall, it looks neat, but maybe just a little bit too... Normal? I always imagined Argus to look a bit more, well, alien.

I reckon there is no talking you out of those blizzard cliffs? And, well, if there isn't, you can still make them work. But I think
you'll need way more decorative doodads and small things to sort of divert people's attention. One great place to find stuff that
might fit with this terrain idea would be Tobyfat's Sc2 Conversion Pack. There you might also find some... Better suiting crystals.

Anyway, keep it up, it looks good so far :)

Level 51
I really recommend using the steinlords rock instead of the regular blizzard ones. Even though it has only 1 model variation, it still look so much more natural and can be easily modified in the editor to look diversified. I really think it boosts every terrain when it replaces standard blizzard rocks. It also can be modified using the model editor to match the terrain you are working in.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
And overall, it looks neat, but maybe just a little bit too... Normal? I always imagined Argus to look a bit more, well, alien.
Well, I'm getting inspiration from artworks such as this of Argus. I also get ideas and inspiration for doodads, creeps etc. from James Cameron's Avatar movie to get that alien look.

1-jpg.2951

One great place to find stuff that
might fit with this terrain idea would be Tobyfat's Sc2 Conversion Pack. There you might also find some... Better suiting crystals.
Thanks for link :) I'll be sure to check that out.

I really recommend using the steinlords rock instead of the regular blizzard ones.
Which one is that? Can you provide me with a link?

Level 36
The image you use as inspiration is not Argus, it is Azuremyst Isle, which is where the spaceship Exodar crashed on Azeroth.

It is a more night elven inspired location than I imagine Argus would be, there is nothing wrong with taking inspiration from it,
but I honestly think you could be more interesting in creative ways. Considering so little is actually known about the look and
feel of Argus. I'd like to see something more unique is all.

If anything, I think you should take more inspiration from Shadowmoon Valley, pre-destruction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.