1. Triumph has risen from these uncharted shores. The 34th Modeling Contest Results are out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Awaken what lies in the heart of your swarm. The 17th Techtree Contest has arrived!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Hive Workshop is launching its first HD modelling contest. How HD should it be?
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff Job Openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Argus, homeworld of the Eredar

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Archian, May 4, 2017.

1. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello community!

I present to you a little sneak preview of Argus, homeworld of the Eredar. Before the coming of Sargeras. I started modding again. Below are some screenshots of a soon to be announced project of mine.

I'm looking for some uncorrupted Eredar (draenei) decoration models. Do any of you terrain experts know of such models and where to find them? Or something simillar? Currenly, I'm just reskinning ingame doodads.

[​IMG]

Untitled-3.jpg Untitled-4.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Wow! Reskins are really awesome!
    I don't have such models you want, maybe other members will help you.
    Anyways, great project! :)

3. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Are those skins available for public use? I'm making a campaign based upon Wc1 and those skins would be perfect for it.

4. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, glad you like it :) It's the first time for many years that I've used cliffs. Normally I would just raise the terrain. But the old school cliffs fits for this project.

Not currently I'm afraid. I'm making those textures for my project. And as with most of all projects resources aren't usually released until it's completed or cancelled.
    I dont really want to publish these yet, since much of the work is still WIP. I'd rather wait and release them all in a pack when they're done.

However, send me a PM with your request to the specific texture you'd like and I can give it to you ;)

5. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I feel like the standard trees + grass ruin the piece, I would look for replacements.

What kind of terrain is it supposed to be? If it is for a melee map it might be fine, but for a cinematic I would use way more decoration objects.

6. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is still WIP. And those aren't standard trees. It's made by HerrDave. And yes, I plan on making a new grass tileset texture.

Well, the project will have both cinematics, dungeon crawling and melee aspects.

;)

Got inspiration from this for the terrain:

[​IMG]

7. Wait, those trees are re-skinned Blizz ones? WOW... I mean, you're good but, damn, that's good.

8. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It can be downloaded here: Spruce Tree

Guys, read the thread ;)

9. Oh...oops ._.

On a side note - do you know how HerrDave reacts to modding the texture? Askins since I'd like to add a orange-red flavour for a more flamboyant forest and autumn terrain.

Also - I COULD help with textures somewhat - though my skills are limited.

10. Naze

Naze

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looking sweet, Archian.

Those trees are fine for me, though I would recommend to avoid filming them from their side on your cinematic, as they don't look that good from that angle (pic below) and may break the magic.

trees.jpg

Yes, the skins are great (just the stairs of the throne are too bright and could be better shaded though), keep rocking!

Edit: About the models, I can't remember anything of use right now, but you can edit Northrend's Crystal model and give it an opaque texture to fit the reference image you posted. Just mess around with it with the Model Editor > Materials I guess

11. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Hello Archian, welcome welcome to our shady laid-back old sofa that breaks sometimes :^]

I think that you're on the verge of getting the look just about right. BUT...but what screams as too much to me is the fog and the over-usage of crystals. I mean, they're fine in moderate amounts and in groups following some kind of construction pattern or natural growths 'round the edges but overdosed they're just a no to the NO for the eye.

I'd go for a better integrated crystal look if I were you. For example, think of this or this and try to take something from it while keeping it your work.
    See how the crystals sprout out from the ground while being kept at a reasonable amount? Now try fiddling 'round the given idea.

Another example could be this. It gives out a positive vibe with the dense vegetation and the various natural features. Not to mention how the Eredar civilization coexists alongside its surroundings without much damage ('least before the Sargeras encounter). That alone says much about the race's whole understanding of its own world.

Take that and go wild with cities that are green and have different constructions around or floating areas if you want something more fantasy-like.
    Don't forget to variate the vegetation even more. @Talavaj has a pretty impressive repertoire of resources 'round his thread here. Check it out!

'regards Heinvers :]

12. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thank you all for your feedback guys. It's much appreciated!
    Thank you, I hear what you say. I will definitely decrease the amount of crystals in the real map. The screenshots was taken from a test map, where I experiment with diffrent terrains and units.

Yes I have seen that terrain. I use it for reference for the capitol of Argus, Mac'Aree. Right now I'm just testing diffrent doodads for walls etc. since there's hardly any Eredar (draenei) models out there. Seeing what works and what doesn't etc.

6.jpg

Thank for the hint. I will check out some of his stuff then :)

Northrend doesn't have any crystal model. You must be thinking about the Icecrown Glazier Crystal, which I already use ;)

Also trying to design some creep camp locations for the melee part of the map. Going to add more rubble and vegetation. Using your texture for the Snap Dragon @Heinvers <3

I call them Viperwolfs, native animal of Argus.

7.jpg

A crystal golem.
    8.jpg

A Great Ikran, flying predator native to Argus.

9.jpg

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  13. Naze

Naze

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oops that's the one! Hehe. Anyway I meant that those crystals can be made more opaque (just like your reference) instead of transparent like you're using them. Like this:

CrystalsEdit.png

I opened one of the crystals in Mago's Model Editor, then I went Windows > Material Manager, changed the only MaterialLayer filter mode to None, then created a few new material layers using the same texture but with filter mode Add Alpha. Just an example of what I meant - you may get a result closer to your liking if you fool around more with it (the model is attached below).

Your creep camps are good (although the 1st one is messier than the 2nd), and your terrain is developing nicely according to your reference. So I think that's it =P Expecting your next skins and terrains!

Attached Files:

14. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice, thanks man! I see your point.

Currently trying to find more creeps to use in the melee that fits the fantasy. I use Doom Ravager with shiik's Hound skin adding the latest addtion to Argus's native predators, the Great Leonopteryx.

10.jpg

Again, keep in mind that this is still just testing out stuff to see if it works well and to get your feedback and suggestions.

As you can see below this is just a map full of experiments, that means the real map will look a lot better with more details, doodads, tileset textures etc. (currently working on a new grass and dirt texture fit for Argus)

testmap.jpg

It looks pretty awesome with a new texture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  15. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    So far so good and exotic in fauna. I like the general vibe. Is it Pandora inspired in some parts? :]

Speaking of the hound skin, you just gave me an idea for the blue felstalker skin.
    Good job!

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  16. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is indeed :) Thought that the fantasical type beast from Pandora would fit the world of Argus. I also plan on using music from the Protoss, as it fits perfectly for the master race of the Eredar, an equally powerful advanced race like the Protoss.

Just imagine building an Eredar base to this soundtrack:

Haha nice, I think I know what you are thinking of ;) Because my original idea was to use shiik's skin as a Thanator ;)

[​IMG]

If you decide to make a texture for the blue Felstalker skin, I'd gladly put it in this project :D

17. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Not exactly 100% but mostly some reference from it. Came out as a different beast than the original intent.

Gharana Brute

Feedback is welcomed, as always.

The Protoss track works like a glove, good pick for it.

18. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Glad to see you back at it Archian.
    It's looking great thus far.

19. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Archian, looking great! Really great use of more contemporary models and textures while retaining the Warcraft feel. In the first screenshot, I'm really happy about your use of structures and trees to frame a well-proportioned space surrounded by negative space. Should make for a good scenario.

I have a few suggestions
    - The cliff tex is really high contrast, maybe darken it or lower the intensity a bit?
    - Understory details could really enhance your groundplane - think small shrubs, patches of flowers, and rocks or chunks of debris.
    - Personally, I'd aim for two or three more tree models. At the minimum, another pine of similar size/form with a slightly varied texture, and a dead tree or larger canopy tree. Having canopy trees really increases immersion in playable terrain.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  20. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks guys :) Good to be back at it.

Another example of a creep camp. I've retextured some ingame Rubble models and added more understory details (shrubs and big ass flowers for fantasy effect).

I think it looks a bit messy. I would prefer a cleaner style for this map but that would result in fewer doodads. I need to find some that fits perfectly with the enviroment. What do you guys think?

I really don't like the ingame shrubs. Do any of you guys have any suggestions for what to use instead? I've looked though our model section, but didn't really find any that suits this map.

11.jpg

Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I will look into that :)

EDIT: Added another tree model. Using a canopy tree model by HerrDave that uses the same texture as the pine tree.

12.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2017