• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AotF - Icecrown Citadel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38735

Hi guys. This is a terrain preview w.i.p for the Icecrown Citadel, the home of the Scourge and the Lich King. In "real" the citadel is not like this at all, it has no walls and such, it's only underground under Frozen Throne. But since it will be an RPG, i think it looks better this way, and say what you like about that point aswell as what i should improve. Remember i will update terrain.

PS. sry for bad screenis, i am not good at it. And i haven't calculate shadows, it take too long time, but i will do it in the end. AND I HAVEN'T STARTED TERRAINING EVERYTHING THAT IS SNOWY FLAT!!!

1. The main gate of Icecrown Citadel, guarded by 2 elite abominations. Death Knights are on their way in.

2. A navy assault, preparing to attack Coldarra.

3. A rope bridge.

4. The upper base, with many way connections.

5. The navy assault from an other angle.

6. Inside the lower base, the slaughter row and some lazy warriors.

7. Magical prisons, guarding the growing threat of Nathrezim from the Burning legion and their minions the Unbroken.

8. The way to the Frozen Throne. A fallen necromancer was carried to the Lich King by two comrades, and was reviven as a Lich.

9. The way to the Frozen Throne from an other angle.

UPDATED:

1. Simply a bridge over a river.

2. An overview of the map.

3. A big camp with necromacers and their raisen allies.

4. Another camp with lazy soldiers.

5. A camp of ghosts, many from a nearby burned village.

Attachments

• IcecrownCitadel.w3x
    191.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Level 15
About units and doodads inside; i haven't started. Ofcoarse i will add units, doodads and such, but i count that on details for moments but i will add it later. Rocks outside; i haven't begun terraining outside except small around the wall. What kind of frost traps do u mean? Plz show or tell which one/example you mean. Towaers will be added, but there will be alot of outposts and other defences anyway. Sure i can read tutorials, but this isn't first time i terrain and this is far from done.

Level 34
The entrance is actually quite nice. Although you need more still. More doodads, more doodads, and more doodads!! I can't tell what's going on in the last one, but I think I like it as well. In the second to last one, the road type terrain, the road is in too much of a ditch, the angle is too sharp. Make it a little more open. Tile variation is fairly good, I especially like it in the base, although outside could use some more. You seem to only change the variation for roads and things, make sure to make variation even in the snow, but I do know it's hard with the Icecrown tileset.

Level 15
Well, everything outside the gate/castle, and just everything around things (roads and such) i haven't started terraining much yet. I will terrain those places, but i focus most of the citadel for moment. And the "sharp road", is a glacier, which runs down to the last picture. It is a little sharp though. I have just started terraining inside the citadel (gate and above) with doodads and such, so you will see this later. I will try to make imageshack images.

EDIT: Uploaded images in different way.

Level 34
Well, something seems to be wrong on the Hive, not sure if it's just me, but I can't open the thumbnails normally (in any thread). I have to double click and open in a new tab/window. So I guess they do work, but not how they are supposed to.

Level 34
Looking good! I think you could still maybe use some terrain variation, although it's almost impossible with snow unfortunately. I think that the first screen outside the base could use tile variation.

You did a pretty good job with the cliffs. It might look better with raised ground, but maybe not worth all the trouble.

Level 15
Yes, this is going to be a playable terrain if u guys think so. As said, it's for my RPG, but it will only be used if it is good enough. Or, i will make a new one like it, but this one looks a little good to me. Sry but again, the most of all-snowy places arent fixed yet, i will make a msall variation improvement later. For the Lich King walkway, the cliffs were neede since you can't high more (cliffs go down insted) except if i high the Miscdata file, which i won't. So are the unit's looking good? It was kind of fast done, but i tryed to think a bit not just place them.

Level 15
Thx guys, i guess i will use it in game. I have continued terraining, and i guess i am done with the most of the terrain, i have updated first post and attached map. I must say it was hard to get a good variation in this tileset, i have never tryed before. But i sure have learned some and it turned out pretty good to me, so i guess it's done. Just tell me if u want any changes or so, but remember i will go to mom tomorow (no warcraft, though i might log in here (also in school in 2 days (computer lesson)))

PS. post number 99!!!

Level 25
Very true. Since this is an RPG/ORPG, the terrain deserves above average work. And just as a quick tip, the following map genres require good terrain in order for the map to be interesting in visual aspects:
  • Cinematics/Cut-scenes/Teaser/Trailor
  • Role-Playing-Game(RPG)
  • Aeon of Strife(AoS)
  • Campaign
Without good terrain, the map's visuality rating definately drops by a lot. However some times it is harder for people to notice bad terrain when custom tiles, units, doodads, and skins are being used. But otherwise, it is a very good idea to put as much time and effort into your terrain maps. Never give up on your terrain, especially if you get negative reviews regarding the terrain. Terrain is one of the easiest elements of making a map in just about any game (In my experience at least) and if you settle with the least, you'll end up no where and all the time you've spent on your map will go to complete waste.
So please, work on your map and never stop. Improve, improve, improve! And when you think it's good enough or perfect, provide screenshots and we will be the judge.
~Craka_J

Level 34
I would say most maps terrain is the easiest, but often the longest part (exception for heavily JASS'd maps).

Level 25
Actually... it depends on the size of the map and how dedicated you are to the map you're working on. Sometimes terrain isn't the longest part of making a map ya know. Triggers are harder and take longer because you need to check for leaks, balance things, fix bugs, etc.
~Craka_J

Level 15
Ok... Guess my terrain wasn't as good as I thought. I didn't understand what i should improve with this terrain, i just tryed to add more variation (map attached). From now on, i will work much longer on my terrain maps to improve the result, and i guess i will experience much harder things to terrian. I have 1 final question on this thread, which i hope to get answered as fast as possible (probably 20 minutes or atleast tomorow); Do i have to hire a terrainer for this project, or can i terrain my maps if i improve my skills, and take longer times on my terrains?

See you later, especially in this forum!!

Thx ~ Revolve

Attachments

• IcecrownCitadel.w3x
    193.5 KB · Views: 55
Level 34
Terrain is IMO the easiest part of making map. Some people just don't seem to like it. I have no artistic talent, and it may come out in my terrain, but I can still do a decent one. Anyone can terrain, it may not be the best but it will still be a good terrain if you put some effort into it. With practice your terrain will get better and better. Keep working on it!

I think terrain is quite hard.Most of map makers just place a lot of trees and cliffs and they think that they made a great terrain.No.First of you must use a variety of trees and doodads.For example having only rocks and grass won't make the terrain beautiful.And also make some areas from your mind.Not only the same theme all over the map.Make a little river and then create a forest.Then a cave or something like that.This is how a terrain becomes good.I think terrain is one of the most important parts of map making.

Status
Not open for further replies.