• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tips for designing a fortress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm making a private altered melee map wherein you play as the Lich King and try to defend Icecrown Citadel from Tirion Fordring.

For the citadel, the walls are just made of cliffs. But I'm having trouble designing the interior. I need ideas on what rooms to put.

For now I have:

Throne Room
Library
Dungeon
Graveyard (Not sure about this one. Should I keep it?)
Art Room
Boss Rooms

However, even with these rooms there's still a lot of space lying around. So I need suggestions on what more rooms I can put.

Level 5
I think you should give the Throne Room a lot of space and it shoud be the highest room, overlooking all of the others.

Instead of a graveyard, wich I assume you plan to summon units from it, you could make a really big great hall with a big amount of dead corageous adventurers who ventured far too deep and understimated the Lich King's power.

I'm saying both the Great Hall and the Throne Room should be as big as possible to appeal to the Lich King's great ego.

You could also add a treasure room, filled with stolen goods and different artifacts that you'd have to use depending on the situation. For example, in comes a wave of spellcasters so you rapidly take the Lich to the treasure room and change one of your items for a "magic shield" or anti-magic potion.

I'm saying both the Great Hall and the Throne Room should be as big as possible to appeal to the Lich King's great ego.

A prison is also a good addition. You could have an ability that captures an enemy soldiers and, depending on the kind of characters you captured, you'd get different units to aid you that are, either mutated versions of the prisoner or a combination of two or more of them.

There could be a Workshop where several acolytes design and construct different evil machines aid you in battle.

I pretty much imagine the map as a base defense where you control Arthas/Lich King and have to battle through waves and waves of enemies while beign aided by your own minions. Correct me if I'm wrong. But still, whatever the gameplay is like, you can easily give those rooms different uses or just have them as decoration.

Level 3
I like the decorated hallway idea. It gives that little finesse for the Lich King's castle. The Treasure Room is a nice idea now that I think about it. Aside from the Lich King, I can load it up with a crap load of custom items and just have him or one of his generals switch gears anytime I want.

I didn't get to make his throne room very big. It is long however, just to give that ominous feel as you walk to face the Lich King himself.

The workshop is also a nice idea.

The great hall is genius. I'm thinking of making a trigger where undead units spawn as soon as enemy units enter the area.

Level 5
You could have necromancers in the great hall, needed to summon all kinds of undead. The trick would be that you don't have more than those you are given so you must protect them well.

A good amount of micro should be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.