• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Anyway possible to increase maximum hero ability capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
As the title says. The maximum is 5, but is there anyway to increase this at all?

If not, is there a way to make unit abilities level up like hero abilities?

Last edited:
Level 6
It's not the easiest thing in the world to explain, but basically - you're going to have a spell book ability called "Hero Abilities" that takes the slot the usual "hero abilities" button does (this means none of your heroes will have any hero abilities). You will then give this spell book as many spells as you need. These spells will all be dummy spells based of channel with different spellIDs. They will have no target and be self-cast (make sure to check "visible" in channel too).

Then you'll need a trigger for each spell. Events would be "a unit begins casting a spell" Conditions are "spell being cast = ability A, player has greater than 1 lumber*" and actions are "IF / THEN / ELSE: IF Hero does not have ability A; THEN give Hero ability A; Else, raise level of ability A for Hero"

*lumber is the common 'hero skill points' mechanic but you could also trigger this without using lumber using variables for a player
*to do this system, all of your heroes will use "unit abilities" that will be leveled via the above triggers

I'd give you a way to do this with some greater detail but

A) I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't already a system like this ready for download. You should look around and see if you can't copy and paste a system like this already made for you into your map.

B) I've outlined what needs to be done, you only need a few triggers but it can be confusing if you don't know what you're doing.

Level 4
It's not the easiest thing in the world to explain, but basically - you're going to have a spell book ability called "Hero Abilities" that takes the slot the usual "hero abilities" button does (this means none of your heroes will have any hero abilities). You will then give this spell book as many spells as you need. These spells will all be dummy spells based of channel with different spellIDs. They will have no target and be self-cast (make sure to check "visible" in channel too).

Then you'll need a trigger for each spell. Events would be "a unit begins casting a spell" Conditions are "spell being cast = ability A, player has greater than 1 lumber*" and actions are "IF / THEN / ELSE: IF Hero does not have ability A; THEN give Hero ability A; Else, raise level of ability A for Hero"

*lumber is the common 'hero skill points' mechanic but you could also trigger this without using lumber using variables for a player
*to do this system, all of your heroes will use "unit abilities" that will be leveled via the above triggers

I'd give you a way to do this with some greater detail but

A) I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't already a system like this ready for download. You should look around and see if you can't copy and paste a system like this already made for you into your map.

B) I've outlined what needs to be done, you only need a few triggers but it can be confusing if you don't know what you're doing.

Have you actually tested this?

That is a bit complicated and I've looked around with no avail for any system like the one I described.

Level 6
Have you actually tested this?

That is a bit complicated and I've looked around with no avail for any system like the one I described.

No I've not tested it.

I'm surprised, because I've seen it in numerous maps.

• Events
    • A Unit Starts the Effect of an Ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability = HeroSkill1
    • Player - Owner of (Casting Unit) has greater than or equal to 1 lumber
  • Actions
    • IF THEN ELSE
    • If
      • (AND) All of these conditions are true
        • Hero has HeroSkill1
        • AbilityLimit is 7 = false
    • Then
      • Increase ability of HeroSkill1 for (casting Unit)
      • Decrease lumber of owner of (casting unit) by 1
    • Else
      • Give Hero HeroSkill1
      • Set Variable - Abilitylimit + 1
Hmm dunno why I thought this would be complicated, lol. Maybe I was sleepy when I wrote that... well I'm sleepy now... ugh

The above trigger should work, right? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the rough idea. You'll need this trigger for all the spells in the spellbook, as I said earlier the spells in the spell book need to be dummy abilities (perferably something like roar or channel but you need different spell IDs for all of them).

Level 6
you don't need to use and, you only use and if its in an Or - conditions

That's what I thought lol but I've been second guessing myself lately (too many triggers not working)... been putting tons of shit in and, but I'm glad to know it's unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.