• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Any way to open downloaded maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I've played a few custom maps, and while they are usually incomplete and buggy, they do frequently have one or two things that I want to learn how to do. Is there any way to open maps I've downloaded from battle.net with the galaxy editor?

Are you serious?

The ENTIRE point of this shitty battle.net 2.0 is so that you CAN'T open other people's maps.

1. Open.
2. At the top there's two tabs. Local Files and Battle.net. Log in to your account and go to Battle.net. Any files you've downloaded should be highlighted in... blue I believe.
3. Open the file. Some files I imagine can't be opened because they are protected.
4. Profit.

Edit: Battle.net 2.0 is awesome. Best thing since sliced bread.

Level 8
I beg to differ. We can no longer host our own games (i.e. play whatever custom game we want) and we can't play LAN. There are no channels. There are no clans. How many people play your custom game is completely at the mercy of Blizzard. There is no effective way to spread your map besides convincing people to join it in battlenet (and it may start all the way at the bottom of the list).

I beg to differ. We can no longer host our own games (i.e. play whatever custom game we want)

Yes we can.

and we can't play LAN.

Yeah, that sucks. I will admit. There are no channels.

There are no clans. How many people play your custom game is completely at the mercy of Blizzard.

Blizzard said in an interview they may over time add features like chat channels, clans, tournaments, etc.

There is no effective way to spread your map besides convincing people to join it in battlenet (and it may start all the way at the bottom of the list).

If you publish your map, there is a chance people will host it. I found my crappy little map being hosted once.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Currently any map relesed will get hosted hundreds of times cause there are only 12-20 maps to choose from. As time progresses this may change but thank god there is a recent feature that some people will surly use. Once its been hosted once its popularity will improve so become more findable and hosted more. If it catches on it will be highly popular thus appear easilly available for people to host.

The problem is a lot of "noobs" ill lock their maps, meaning that they will wall into serious disrepair or make learning hard. I seriously advise to not lock your maps, or alteast leave an unlocked old version for people.

Level 22
1. Open.
2. At the top there's two tabs. Local Files and Battle.net. Log in to your account and go to Battle.net. Any files you've downloaded should be highlighted in... blue I believe.
3. Open the file. Some files I imagine can't be opened because they are protected.
4. Profit.

I just tried it to see what maps I will see, as I want to go through how some ablities are made. When I tried to log on in the editor with my account it says 'bnet connection was been lost' - that's in the editor. It doesnt log on my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.