• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jumping on the scripting bandwagon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
I'll be brief.

I'm happy with what I can achieve in the wc3 editor now, after many years of practice, but there are many, many things I wish I had done or could do such as:

Model/Skin, Learn JASS/vJASS and actually 'release' a map :xxd:

So this time round, I want to do it properly, I would like to learn Galaxy, I would like to learn to model/skin, though this would come AFTER learning galaxy.

So basically, I'm wondering... how does one go about this?

Will their be tutorials for galaxy (eventually) as I haven't seen an awful lot for JASS/vJASS? Is it similar to learning GUI, you just learn by opening other maps and looking... I'm assuming the best bet is a friend who can show/teach you?

Any tips and/or advice will be gratefully received, I really want to join in with everyone else from the word GO, this time :thumbs_up:

You can start off by reading C language. If you are not familiar with the Jass language, it would be good starting by it. It will take some time before the editor is released, so you have plenty of time to do your studies. There is not an extremely big difference between Jass2, vJass and Galaxy. You just have to conceive some extra features this language has: bitwise operators, multi-dimensional arrays and other important facts. Once conceived, you will conceptualize it.

For modelling, you just need 3d modelling tutorials, there is nothing different from Wc3. Just a heads-up, most models cover a range of 1000-3000 polygons. There are of course some models (portraits mostly) which have even more polygons, because they are portraits and had to be done with proper detail; those ones have around 4000 polygons.

Level 8
Grab a C++ book that's about 200-300 pages, no more no less and start reading and practicing. When you learn just about most of the stuff in the book find some example Galaxy scripts in google or hive and you will learn the language in literally 2 minutes. On the other hand C++ will take you a few months to learn, but once you know it - you know every other language (well almost).

Level 7
The only reason I was able to finally learn JASS is because I asked questions.

Lots, and lots of questions. Moral is you can't do it alone, you need to find someone to give you the answers when your morale has fallen.

Level 20
Hehe... Thanks everyone, didn't expect replies so quickly or ones of such calibre ;)

I will pick up a c++ book and ask, and persevere! Seems the best combination from your answers. On a following note can anyone suggest a particular book/author?

Just bearing in mind I've only ever dabbled in flash action script and HTML, only the odd line as well... :/

Level 9
Grab a C++ book that's about 200-300 pages, no more no less and start reading and practicing. When you learn just about most of the stuff in the book find some example Galaxy scripts in google or hive and you will learn the language in literally 2 minutes. On the other hand C++ will take you a few months to learn, but once you know it - you know every other language (well almost).

I love your signature natives.

Level 11
SC2 GUI has significantly fewer limitations than WC3's GUI did, so it might be possible to make a good map without having to learn to code Galaxy. The main problem with GUI, for me at least, is the fact that it is extremely slow and takes forever to do anything, as you spend most of your time clicking through dialog boxes.

I would say try and learn C++ over the summer so you can at least be somewhat familiar with the language when the game comes out.

Alternatively, find a really patient friend who knows a lot about coding. I learned JASS as my first language with the help of a friend, so meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.