• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trigger tutorial concierge help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I reccently started working with the Galaxy editor and I would like some links to all available trigger tutorials. I haven't programmed in years so this can be a bit intimidating for me. I have already checked out sc2mapster.com and they only have 2 basic videos on map triggering.

My goal is to get my head wrap around the power of Triggering in Galaxy editor. I am a Starcraft1 map maker used to having only 10 total available actions, 2 conditions and no variables watsoever. Many maps i made had at least 1,000 triggers (thank god for scripting and Notepad). I want to be able to understand and know the Galaxy editor really well to narrow 1,000 very basic triggers to just a few triggers running all these variables, arrays, if then else watnots at the same time.

The map specifically I am creating is called Desert Strike Night, a map variation of Nexus wars or Income wars. A 4v4 map, 3 players and 1 computer for each team. The objective is to create buildings that send units to attack enemy base. Team that destroys enemy headquarters wins the game. (just like any other Tug map) Website here: http://www.desertstrike.tk

Things I am trying to understand:
- how can i create a simple character select screen (dialog system ) during map initiation which i can easily add things to it later?

- How can I create a continuous spawning system that checks what the player has built and spawns units?

- I am used to having triggers to have specific-player labels. Here on worldedit/galaxy editor, you can simply use something called "player group" that is 1 trigger to fire to every active player *blows mind*. What are other efficient ways to narrow down simple triggers?

-Can I troll around hive's wc3 tutorial section concerning Triggers and still be able to learn something. (Looks the same to me)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
how can i create a simple character select screen (dialog system ) during map initiation which i can easily add things to it later?

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/resources/tutorials/17193-sc2layout-files-how-to-adjust-them/

How can I create a continuous spawning system that checks what the player has built and spawns units?

You will want to make a periodic function that selects all units of a type (ie "hellion builder") and for each unit in that group, creates a unit (ie hellion) then orders that unit to attack to a point.

I am used to having triggers to have specific-player labels. Here on worldedit/galaxy editor, you can simply use something called "player group" that is 1 trigger to fire to every active player *blows mind*. What are other efficient ways to narrow down simple triggers?

There are beyond countless ways... Warcraft 3 alone had probably a hundred ways to speed up the process compared to sc1.

Can I troll around hive's wc3 tutorial section concerning Triggers and still be able to learn something.
Yes. The Sc2 trigger editor can do more than wc3 could, including people who coded in vJass.

If I could give you any tips, I would recommend learning the new data editor inside and out. In warcraft 3, I made stack based faux-MUI systems that did "cool" things that can be now be done in sc2 without a single trigger.

Level 5
youtube channel: onetwosc

has most tutorials for the things you listed and more

also check sc2mapster, is a dedicated sc2 modding site which is way more comprehensive than hive

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I love how people are directing members away from hive... I am sure this is vurging on breaking the no advertising rule.

Anyway, triggering for SC2 is the same as for WC3, the only difference is how some constructs behave, the syntax of the language and ofcourse the natives you can use.

For that mater, SC2 is easier to program than WC3. JASS (WC3) was a sort of hybrid language between C (type safe) and a scripting language (python). SC2's scripting language however is heavilly C based so if you can program C or JAVA you can jump straight in and make great stuff with minimal former experience with the language. Within a single weekend I made a fully functional tetris game using the dialog system of SC2 without having scripted anything before in SC2. It really is that easy to step to if you know how to script WC3.

Infact it is prety much identical to C with the exception of many constructs not being available.

just so you know this guy came from sc2mapster :p, im pretty sure i led him here (when i linked to my project from there, which hees been the most helpful sofar, and ive only known him for about a day..)

@being close to advertising; i dont really think its advertising if the links are relevent/free sites :p, and not just spammed into every single post in a forum..
but it does kinda feel like your pawning him off.. for his newbie status, and jumping straight to asking how to do stuff/ for a project team without getting to know everyone a bit better :p

Status
Not open for further replies.