• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Map Showcase] - Music Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Musicgalaxylogo_zps0cabee8b.png

Music Galaxy is fun proof of concept piano simulator. Ever since Starcraft 1, I have been making fun random music maps. This is my 1st map on Starcraft II. When the game initializes, it spawns lots of engineering bays which acts as keys on a piano. Players can either click on bay or press a letter to make piano notes. The map was intended to be a guitar hero-like map but theres a definite lag on battle.net. It is published in ALL regions and up to 6 players can play together.

Development Story
------------
DrHu helped me on this project. He pretty much taught me how to make the map and gave me direct trigger examples. He was also the one that provided the sound clips.
1_zps866526b7.png

2_zpsaabbc495.png

Map Download
--------------
http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/galaxy-melody/files/1-music-galaxy/
Thank you sc2mapster.com for map storage and project page.

Youtube Video
------------
Here is me demonstrating the map, can you guess the songs I played?
(Note: must be a nerd)

Last edited:
1. mario
2. mission impossible?
3. black sabbath iron man
4. harry potter
5. pirates
6. inception
7. gangam style
8. pokemon center
9. tetris
10. zelda's theme
11. careless whisper
13. graduation song
15. adele someone like you
credits: heart and soul
can't name 12 or 14, but i know what 12 is

Im wondering how the dual hand playing was done?
is that with two people playing the game at the same time or can you prerecord the bass clef and then play the treble and vice versa?

Level 2
"Players can either click on bay or press a letter to make piano notes"

I am clicking the notes for the right hand and I am tapping on my keyboard for the left hand. In this map, the letters on the computer keyboard is set to only 1 key. When I play zxcvb, I am playing low notes of: CDEFG.

Hint for 12: Its a theme familiar to everyone. It is not from a video game, movie or show. You know it because when its played, it is played many times. (yay for vagueness)
Hint for 14: Its an intro to a relatively new show. I don't expect anyone to get it (my challenge question).

Thats all im giving :)

ah, i see
does every player get their own set of keys or do they all share one "piano"?
if you could find a way to make those piano keys look more like piano keys, (also the black notes black) then this could be a small little gimmick that may be popular with some.
If you ever want to develop more on this game, try to implement other instruments somewhere else on the map [like drums especially :)]

Level 2
ah, i see
does every player get their own set of keys or do they all share one "piano"?
if you could find a way to make those piano keys look more like piano keys, (also the black notes black) then this could be a small little gimmick that may be popular with some.
If you ever want to develop more on this game, try to implement other instruments somewhere else on the map [like drums especially :)]
Yea thanks for feedback:)
The map is server-side, not client side. That means that the engineering bays when click on other players will be heard by everyone. If I get some mappers interested in this proof-of-concept then perhaps I will add on to it.

My initial goal was super ambitious; my idea was to create this creative, music adventure rpg game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGEZXlPCJY
(skip to 6:51 and watch for only 30 secs)
Cheezy elevator music, hundreds of students walking around, a futuristic scifi campus. I was going to divide the map. 1/4 of the map was the overworld campus; a top down view of the different music buildings. When a players character touches a building, the map view changes into a 3rd person in different part of the map. The goal of the game is to learn how to play music, but in a adventure roleplay structure. That means, players will have to embark on quests, the cheeziest the better. For example, "Prof. Treble forgot his music sheet in the courtyard. You can either go get it for him or play the sheet for him". There was going to be challenge performances where the you have to play in recitals (Mechanics of Guitar hero). Players can also switch out into a different character who has a different discipline like the drums or guitar. Map would feel like Eternal Sonata RPG but you actually learn how to play music.

Again, the project is released as is simply because after many hours trying to reduce lag, I learned that they are present for security reasons; SC cleverly syncs many times so that very little is client side and that it makes it hard for players to cheat. Unfortunately even with how the game is programmed, I heard from master players that a few are still cheating. Never ending battle against cheaters -.-

"This is really random QueenGambit, why...?"
As you can see, i really like music... and I really like having fun playing custom maps. I have created a bunch of Starcraft maps that oddly have to do with music. Music Galaxy was suppose to be the amalgamation.

Status
Not open for further replies.