• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Any good skinner who works with Photoshop help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I use the airbrush with various sizes alot, rarely ever use the pencil tool, sometimes use dodge and burn but usually just darken or lighten the color I want a little more on the palette. if using photoshop or another one that can give you percentages of pressure, they are my best friend, they help blend stuff together. I used to just do recolors too, but since I started completely redrawing the units and stuff, people seem to appreciate them more. (2 in the top 15 dl's now woo hooo and I didn't even abuse the dl system lol) Make sure to have a program like wc3 viewer, so you can mess with things various times to make it look just right on the model. And hmm that's about all I have to say.

1. Make them different. No one wants to download stuff that looks almost the same as the original.
2. Make them interesting looking, or peticularly make them relate to whatever theme your new skin is about.
3. Don't overcomplicate them, I use symbols and stuff on some of my skins, but you just jam pack it with things it looks weird and you'll lose alot of it in game. Plus don't use too many colors, and make them contrast well. So they show up well on small models.

These at least are the ways I follow when I make crap.

Level 13
you shouldnt ask anyone for a method when you begin to skin. what you like comes along. you will get used to a method, just begin to skin, but don't submit them if they suck. until you'Ve found a good method, do your skins with it, and if it sucks, don't submit it, pratice furthermore. also draw outside the computer, very important.

Level 2
GreyArchon said:
The Magic Wand and Lasso Tool is your friend.
so is the options tab, regular brush, dodge and burn(which i dont use too much)and history brush. and btw what does the 'hand tool' do? doesnt do anything for me

Level 4
because saving in .tga using paintshop, for some unknown reason, is the only way to save the alpha channel with the skin to be able to convert it into a .blp for use in the game. its weird tho, cuz the program states in the help section that alpha channel will only save correctly in .psp format. however, it seems to recognize .tga in the same way and will save the alpha channel correctly as long as the alpha channel is correctly compressed with the skin layer. you gotta merge all (flatten) before you save to do this... i think. at least, it werks for me.

Level 9
Saving as 24 bit will not be a problem. Also if you save it was a .jpg it will work out. Do however not flatten the image, its simply not necessary, but will ruin you're layering.

The wc3viewer will add the alpha channel to .jpg's. So they dont have to be there when you save you're file from psp.

Status
Not open for further replies.