• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

another patch in a short time is unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
the new patch was focused on compatibility which is something that is important to blizzard. warcraft 3 really was a mess when it was first released. i had 2 pcs with pentium 3(one with celeron while the other had a slot processor) and only the one with the slot processor could run the game even though they had the same amount of graphics memory. actually it had less internal memory. after a few patches the game became more stable and could run on both. i know that this is oversharing but at least it is not hurting anybody. my point is that warcraft 3 have had compatibility issues so i understand that a patch was released to improve that.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Actually we do not know it will come until it does come. There is evidence they are working on another patch, but that need not mean that another patch will be released.
Semantics. They are working on it and blizz obviously puts money into paying these people to do something. so unless they get hit by a plane or a goblin magically destroys all the uncompiled sourcecode, we will very likely get a patch eventually.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Semantics. They are working on it and blizz obviously puts money into paying these people to do something. so unless they get hit by a plane or a goblin magically destroys all the uncompiled sourcecode, we will very likely get a patch eventually.
Like StarCraft Ghost, Titan, SC2E User manual, Diablo III competitive PvP and...

Even if resources are spent it does not necessarily mean anything will come from it. The best one can do is keep showing how much you want/need another patch.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Blizzard can release any patch they want for any of their games, whenever they see fit.
Please see Diablo II as an example (Glide users, rejoice !).

Current stats for year 2016 :
- Diablo II : +2 patches
- Warcraft 3 : +1 patch
- Starcraft : pending...

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/classic-game-patches

Still hoping for an official No-CD patch for WCII:BNE, btw :grin:

StarCraft : Ghost was designed as a full standalone game for the console market. I really do not believe the same course of unfortunate events which killed SC:Ghost's development, can be applied to PC/Mac patches developed in-house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

...but yeah, even some fully completed games are finally *not* released. Marketing studies may indicate they will not sell very well, for various reasons (bad game, over-saturated market, not enough high-tech equipment on the consumer's side...).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yes, a War2Patch_202b.exe would be sweet. WCII:BNE was first released September 30, 1999 in the US. Alas, any kind of Anniversary release seems very very unlikely. Too bad.

Instead you may slipstream your mpq, make an ISO and use a CD-Rom emulator.

Some might have forgotten Blizzard released a special upgraded exe, for the MS-Dos version. It allowed the original Dos game to have potentially less issues in a Win9x Dos box. It was a looong time ago, before WCII:BNE was released.

I might still have that file somewhere.

**edit **
For the files, please see here
They had been released roughly one year before WCII:BNE

**updated**
Current stats for the year 2016 :
- Diablo II : +3 patches
- Warcraft 3 : +1 patch
- StarCraft : pending...

Again, Blizzard can release any patch they want for any of their games, whenever they see fit
(hey, please do not forget us :grin:)

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Diablo II - Patch 1.14c :
- changelog (edit: link down)
- downloads

Enjoy !

** edit **

"We are releasing 1.14c and resetting the ladder for Diablo II today. We will take the servers down at 1000 Pacific and expect the maintenance to last 3 hours.

Patch notes:

Specific Changes & Improvements:
- Fixed 3 more bugs that cause Mac client crashes on “Save & Exit”
- nGlide will now load on PC

Known Issues:
- Spammers still making us all sad. We’re working on it."

Last edited:
Level 2
Like StarCraft Ghost, Titan, SC2E User manual, Diablo III competitive PvP and...

Even if resources are spent it does not necessarily mean anything will come from it. The best one can do is keep showing how much you want/need another patch.

True, but this is a patch we are speaking about, and has no where near the same concerns / risks / expectations than a full Game release, now does it?

It's my understanding resources have been deployed with Blizzard and work is being done towards new patches for Warcraft3.

This first patch was basically a "life-rope" that Blizzard threw to it's fans still playing this game, most of us grabbed that rope, and now boys and girls we shall begin climbing it towards the helicopter, which in it's turn will bring us back to safety shores, where we can live hapilly ever after.
#metaphor_for_future_patches

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
True, but this is a patch we are speaking about, and has no where near the same concerns / risks / expectations than a full Game release, now does it?
Still stuff can happen. Resources can be pulled, teams moved, businesses restructured etc. For example they might decide that patching WC3 is going nowhere and instead move everyone onto patching and migrating Diablo II so WC3 never gets another patch. There could also be some internal management mess up meaning that the legacy patch team gets dissolved before the next patch.

This first patch was basically a "life-rope" that Blizzard threw to it's fans still playing this game, most of us grabbed that rope, and now boys and girls we shall begin climbing it towards the helicopter, which in it's turn will bring us back to safety shores, where we can live hapilly ever after.
It was required because Warcraft III was suffering major compatibility problems with Windows 10 and Mac, to the point it could not be played properly. Playing in D3D8 mode resulted in no gamma correction and inconsistent and buggy frame rates. Playing in OpenGL required use of a command line argument and suffers from incorrectly wrapped text. Mac was not playable at all on modern Mac computers, the sort Mac owners generally try to have. After the patch WC3 works perfectly in D3D89 mode on Windows 10 and it is at least playable on modern Mac (or so I hear?).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Still stuff can happen. Resources can be pulled, teams moved, businesses restructured etc. For example they might decide that patching WC3 is going nowhere and instead move everyone onto patching and migrating Diablo II so WC3 never gets another patch. There could also be some internal management mess up meaning that the legacy patch team gets dissolved before the next patch.

My worst experience as a PC gamer was with Valve and Half-Life. After the last official patch (1.1.1.0, released in 2002), Valve decided to put its love and money in Steam, and in the Steam version of the game only. Thus leaving us standalone users in the gutter.

Half-Life 1.1.1.0 is so broken in places... In fact, many previous Valve patches for it were indeed broken. No QA imho. Oustanding management here. :thumbs_down:

Valve learned me to fear patching. And Blizzard gave me back confidence in it. Never had a single issue with patches for their 3 classic main franchises. Though I understand WC3 has an old *very* broken one.

[...]It's my understanding resources have been deployed with Blizzard and work is being done towards new patches for Warcraft3.

I would suggest reading the thread The Future of Warcraft, and explain precisely there to Blizzard why they must continue patching/developing for their Classic games.

Hint : imho the Magic word to use there is : money. :grin:

Things do not happen if you do not make them happen.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Yes, but let's be honest here: We thought that would take a couple of days to fix, not three months of silence...

Just to make my point clear: I'm not frustrated with how long it takes to get another patch across the ether, but with how little information and progress updates we get on that matter.

Just throw us a bone, goddamnit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.