• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Amphibious Units/Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
8just out of curiosity, is it possible to set it so that units create splashes when they wade through water or have small ripples emanting from them when theyre standing still?

sort of like how wc3 units would create standard footprints on solid terrain, but would have splashes instead when they moved through shallow water (larger ripples for boats when stationary/in transit).

as far as im aware, blizz hasnt incorporated anything about amphibious units (apart from the different water sets/dynamic levels, which is nice btw) since i dont think water is ever used for walkable terrain; unpathable terrain is almost always covered by deep water. i know you can simulate shallow water wc3-style by just adding some noise in the terrain so that it gets 'depressed' until you can see the water, but units just tread through the water without any ripple/splashes.

...which leads me to another question, is there a way of incorporating boats or fish-like units?

i know boats arent needed in sc2 seeing as how there are spacecraft and such (or are they hidden, just like how the snow tileset is hidden within the game files?), but it would still be nice to know if it was possible to make boats either as units or doodads, WITH the associated effects when it comes to moving i n water.

Level 12
Ripples: You should propably start with the "squib" actor, it can somehow distinquish between terrains, but I didn't manage to get it working.

Water pathing: It would have to be simulated somehow, with triggers. Create some objects that push units away, and place them on shore. It would look totally crappy, but that's exactly how air pathing is done :grin::grin::grin:

Level 3
i was merely curious as to whether there was actually a way of implementing it or if it was already in the editor but needed to be activated manually.

doesnt mean i intend to do it lol.

The way I see it as; is Blizzard did not make boats in the campaign.
They may have designed the GE to allow players to customize the game as they see fit, but I don't see too many examples of where Blizzard actually implemented any huge graphical changes to the game outside of their campaign or normal work.
Meaning; they won't make boats an option if they don't need them.
The only way that'll be possible is if you, the user, manipulates what is already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.