• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alpha Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hello.

I try to rip these Feralas trees, coverted TGA into BLP, applied the texture and it has these rectangle textures with leaves beackground visible, I tried adjusting layers with Blend and Add Alpha, but all this led to a failure. Can anyone tell me how to deal with this so that only leaves are visible?

Thanks.

cYFrLxL.png

Model, BLPs and TGAs attached. This version is without further editing with transparent / alpha materials or texture IDs.

Attachments

• FeralasTree.rar
    363.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Yeah, Talavaj was correct in that the BLP lost its alpha channel when it was converted.

In BLP lab, when you go to File -> Save As, click the "Alpha channel" button and make sure it is set to "Spec decides that for you".

In case you ever need to check whether an alpha channel is working, you can just click this button in BLP Lab (note: this is an image with a working alpha channel):
attachment.php

If it shows up transparent in the places it should be, then it should be working just fine. If shows up as all white, then it has an opaque alpha channel (where nothing is transparent), and that is usually a problem if the texture normally has transparency.

I also changed the model's materials back to transparent to test it out. It works ingame. Here it is fixed:

Attachments

• BLPLab.jpg
    BLPLab.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 381
  • FeralasTree.zip
    181.5 KB · Views: 68
Level 12
This is why I just use TGAs. They're only slightly bigger and they're supported on so many programs. =\

From everything I do, it's very unlikely I'd ever reach that 8MB limit. So it's no problem for me.

EDIT: Oh, uh. This particular problem I have ran into before and I think it had to do with just the entirety of the actual texture file becoming corrupt for some odd reason. Try redownloading/re-exporting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.