1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Airships

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Raydin, May 13, 2019.

1. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    @-Phoenix-

Damn, you took my idea and went even further with it, you must really know your editor, are you currently still trying to tweak this, if so how is that going?

2. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Honestly the ability looks good...but thats about it...it does constant damage (whatever you put in the editor) each time it's fired, it does not effect magic immune units so that makes it un-realistic and there's a bunch of other problems that make it less than desirable as compared with a regular attack.

Anyway you can see why I prefer a cannon tower-like attack over this, it's very good in theory, but not so much so in practice.

3. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe try messing around with the orb of annihilation ability?

4. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    orb of annihilation?

5. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nevermind, I was thinking of something that can't be done, your idea with an airship which uses piercing against air and a cannon tower like attack against ground is probably the best option we'll find

6. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey. Experimentation is always good, that's how I got to be as creative/good with the editor as I am at this point, I like to keep all avenues open, you never know what you might discover/create

7. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you're thinking of orb of annihilation as a ground bombing ability, it has no cooldowm if auto -cast is on, the cooldown only comes into effect if it's clicked on just like any other regular ability

I tested this right now, it's really weird

8. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's correct, I would try working with acid bomb, a modified acid bomb plus Phoenix's trigger could give you great results.

9. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think that's the direction I want to pursue at the moment

10. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Then since you got me into this airship/bomber discussion I got two other ideas for you

*Add the Frenzy ability to your ship. Have the ship's ground attack cooldown at something long like 3.5sec or more, then use frenzy to cut it by a factor of 3.5 or so, but only for like 5 seconds, and give frenzy a 20 second cooldown. That way the airship will go into "barrage mode" for a short time rapidly firing a ground attack at its targets, followed by a period of slow attacks. This will make it both really strong against structures and yet vulnerable enough not to be some super op battleship.

*Create a metamorphosis ability that does the same thing, this is better because unlike the frenzy buff it cannot be dispelled and can temporary turn off the air attack but requires more work, but the downside is that it's not auto-castable

11. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Using metamorphosis crashes the damn game, Ive tried this and re-tried this

12. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've experimented with it and airships, and it works just fine for me, it might be that you gave the airship something that is incompatible with morphing or the game version you are playing is unastable, or other things on your end

13. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    My overall suggestion is to have 2 ships, one that fires fast piercing projectiles at air units and really slow but siege AOE projectiles at ground units

And a second one that fires fast strong siege AOE projectiles at ground units

Take the metamorphosis ability and change it such that it converts ship 1 into ship 2, but does so for only like 10 seconds and has a long cooldown

14. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    What exactly is the difference between this and using the cluster rockets ability that was said earlier

15. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cluster rockets does constant damage each time

Cluster rockets wont effect magic immune units

This basically focuses the airship on anti ground warfare for a short time, plus I think itll look good as an ability

You can set it up so that for those 10 seconds it drops extremely powerful bombs on things below it or right next to it

16. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    You could make it so that the airship gets either gets burning oil or liquid fire when it uses metamorphosis, if you tune them right the damage done to buildings with them will be colossal

17. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Imho burning oil would be the better of the two because it damages both buildings and units.

What I believe the key is to making this design successful is having the transformed airship (airship 2) having a quick siege attack that does some good AOE damage. Just picture it in your mind what this would do.

18. DingoT

DingoT

Resources:
    Resources:
    why dont you just give the airship avatar? I think thats the easiest solution @Raydin

19. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    This never crossed my mind actually. I will try it

20. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    That was never mentioned because the topic was increasing the fire power vs ground

Avatar increases hp, damage, armor and makes the unit spell immune,