1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Airships

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Raydin, May 13, 2019.

1. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    You have any better ideas???

2. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Research the phoenix fire ability, it has a damage giving buff, really look into it and tell me what you think

3. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    You mean for anti ground

4. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Precisely, set up a mortar or flying machine projectile, and have the buff make the building take damage and look like it's on fire.

Also you can turn fan of knives into either an anti air ability (have a bunch of missiles shot at all air units around the ship) or alternatively you can make it so that it only fires several or 1 single but extremely powerful projectile at nearby ground unit(s) or structure(s) (probably better to go with a structure as the targets), see the results

5. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bombers and warships are 2 different types of air units, if its strictly a bomber it usually only attacks ground units, airships on the other hand attack everything, we have some really good ideas, but what Raydin needs to decide on is whether he is looking for a gunship/airship type of unit or strictly a bomber. A hybrid would be weird in practice because it would be good at both which dis-balances the gameplay.

My personal suggestion is go with a gunship that's powerful against structures, but not OP against then like your original unit

6. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    My original unit was not strictly a bomber because it could attack air units,. It was a bomber in the sense that it only attacked ground units that were right below it

But I think i will go with the gunship idea Zepher proposed some excellent to ideas I'm experimenting with the metamorphosis idea at the moment

7. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe something like the Giga Fortress from Red Aler 3 is what you're looking for

Skip to the 23 minute mark in the video below

8. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Woa, how would u create something like that in warcraft 3

9. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you mean in terms of the attack, you could mimic the beam effect by giving the unit a projectile with a tail that has a very low cooldown to make it look like its continuous. For the unit you need an extremely heavy and slow floating unit. It wont be a problem finding a model on hive.

10. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not what I intended
    But very I interesting

11. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    From all the flying units in that game....you choose to suggest that particular one, if anything the Harbinger Gunship is a much more suitable unit for Raydin's purposes.

12. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was not aware of the Harbinger, besides the harbinger is just an aircraft with a powerful cannon not unlike what you mentioned in your project, the only difference being is that it cant be stationary and has to keep flying in circles, I think the original bomber Raydin proposed is easier to develop in terms of the mechanics and is more effective on the battlefield.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  13. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    You're just too lazy to experiment with new mechanics

My enthusiasm with such things is exactly what lead to progress in the development of new technologies/abilities in my project

14. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry, but I don't have all day to fiddle with the editor

15. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's what separates pros from average joes

16. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    You're right I just don't have the time at the moment, too many things to do in real life, otherwise I'd be experimenting with all this stuff

17. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Fan of knives works great against structures btw

Don't know why I didn't use this sooner

18. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    @-Phoenix- This might sound like a stupid question but how do you make it an air only battle ? Take the ground units away? I can see other methods but they would interfere with the gameplay

19. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Highly depends on what result you want, here are a few methods but these had campaign missions in mind not melee matches also *I have not personally tested all of them so if something doesn't exactly work don't blame me for the results

1) Have the player and his opponent start on islands where the only way to attack eachother is through airship combat

2) Have the player and his opponent start on hills and again make air units the only way to attack eachother

3) Similar to 2) but just make the terrain un-traversable for ground units, (basically lots of hills, rivers, forests, and other un-passable obstacles which block any ground path between the two sides and force the players to engage in air combat)

4) Like you mentioned only allow the building of air units

5) We had a mission where you are up against this duke, he has a large base and in the back of this base is his personal base with his castle, the inner (personal) base is separated from the outer one by a river which had 2 bridges that the player could technically cross, but as soon as the player got close to this area the duke would have his forces destroy the bridges in a cinematic(no way around this). So the only way the player could've finished the mission was by attacking the duke's personal base using airships (no goblin airships or other air transports were available in this mission)

6) There was another mission where the last base you had to destroy was on top of a mountain, now while in theory you could go around the mountain and eventually get to the top where the base was this was very impracticable because I) the base was very well defended/fortified against ground invasions and II) You had a certain amount of time to complete the mission, so unless the player had some god like skills he would have to go the air route

20. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    Unique example. When those bridges are burned does the Duke just defend or does he attack you with his own airships?