1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Airships

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Raydin, May 13, 2019.

1. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is the main point here, a player has finite resources to spend, most players, and definitely not a computer AI in a campaign will spend all their resources building towers to fend off an attack.

2. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    OK so how do you prevent surprise air raid from leveling a base in a campaigns

3. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can suggest two things:

1 Proper balancing of heavy air units
    2 Make sure the enemy's base has lots of towers when creating the mission

4. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    I would suggest giving the airships a slow speed. It will be much harder for the player to pull of a surprise attack then.

5. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Also one more anti air suggestion which I used but completely forgot to mention:

6. Zepher

Zepher

Resources:
    Resources:
    You can achieve an almost identical effect using the sorceress' slow ability without having to modify anything much, assuming you have sorceresses at your disposal, but nevertheless that is a great suggestion.

7. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks. I know it's good cause I've used it in maps and it worked really well

8. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    So Phoenix you made a campaign yourself right What was the air combat like in it?

9. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you mean in terms of the airships, well there was a lot, but from what I remember working on/testing we basically had a 2000hp airship with light armor, a piercing attack against air units and a siege attack similar to the canon tower against all ground units. Both attacks had a range of 450 and the air attack had a much shorter cooldown and did much less damage (around 1/3 actually) than the ground attack.

10. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    So essentially a flying cannon tower with reduced range and lots of health

11. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    you would be surprised how fun these things were to control and attack with. . . and as far as the large hp. it had light armor which made piercing attacks deal 2x damage to it, so really it had 1000hp,

the balancing was just right, 9 food, lots of gold and lumber, you couldn't really mass these things

12. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Also, towers does nothing to move you closer to your win condition.

The moment you force your enemy to spam towers, you've already won the game. You don't even have to destroy any buildings, you forced them to waste all their valuable resources on something that does not move them closer to winning. They may never get those resources back, and the will never get the time back.

So the analogy does not work. Towers have no long term valuable.

13. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    What about when your win condition is to survive airship attacks for 30 min:D

14. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just tested this and it's a brilliant idea

15. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ye definitely a unique concept

I might try using it

16. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    You ever played Red Alert 3? If so remember the twinblade unit?

17. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    I played it a number of times but the twinblade is nothing like my bombers or anything else I'm trying to create

18. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    No I mean you know how the unit has a basic machine gun with a high ROF which it uses against everything normally, and has a secondary which blasts its targets with a barrage of rockets which have a high reload time, I'm thinking that using triggers and Cluster Rockets you can create an airship with a similar mechanic.

It normally uses a rather weak piercing attack with a high ROF against all targets, but when attacking a ground unit it will use cluster rockets once every ~10 or more seconds.

I'm checking it out now in the editor.

19. Raydin

Raydin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good idea in theory

Let me know if you succeed

20. Lord Alyx

Lord Alyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    It works,

First off you need an airship unit that uses a single fast piercing attack against all targets, next you need to modify the cluster rockets ability (make it a normal ability, give it a long cooldown, icon at 0,-11 to keep it hidden, remove the mana cost, adjust damage, remove hotkey, etc.)

Lastly set up a trigger similar to this one

• Cluster Rockets Trigger
      • Events
        • Unit - A unit Is attacked
      • Conditions
        • And - All (Conditions) are true
          • Conditions
            • (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Airship
            • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
              • Conditions
                • ((Attacked unit) is A ground unit) Equal to True
                • ((Attacked unit) is A structure) Equal to True
      • Actions
        • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Neutral Tinker - Cluster Rockets (Position of (Attacked unit))

It needs lots of balancing work and tweaking, but overall it's a solid mechanic