• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

AI for attackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

at

at

Level 4
Ok, here's the deal: I'm making a lotr campaign, (my first ever, so it's probably gonna be shit, but whatever), and right now I'm creating the Helms Deep Map. I've played alot of those, but the difference here is that it's going to be a single player map, and the player is gonna play the defenders.
To my request: I need some1 to explain, or to link to some1 that can explain, how to make the uruk'hai, attack, build new units, and attack again, and also using siege like ladders and catapults, and then after an amount of time, blowing up the bridge. I guess this have something with scripting AI and stuff to do, but I don't have a clue how to use it. Mark my words, I don't want them to spawn one by one and run straight att the walls, I want them to form up and then attack at some weak spot together. Sounds though, huh? :p
All help is appriciated :)
Thanks.

Level 9
AI is a permanent behavior
for sequencing, you should better use triggers
open the trigger windows in your world editor, and look what you can do with
a trigger is basicaly this:
when one of the event happen, if all condition are true, all actions are done
event, condition, and action... 3 hudge list you'll have to read to find all you need

sample: for the big boom
Event: there is an event "time is elapsed"
Condition: visibly none
Action: playing a big fx, kill every one in a short range, remove the wall, ...

you can't come here and just tell "how does it work"
we won't make the whole map for you, we're already on our maps
so try it by yourself, and come back when you've more specific question

anyway you should start with a more modest project...
we learn walking before running

at

at

Level 4
anyway you should start with a more modest project...
we learn walking before running

True, but this is not an "official" project, it's more a way to learn for me.
But a specific question then; Is there like a trigger that can make alot of units, of different teams, like 150 of them, move together, or do you have to make one trigger for each one?

Level 12
Pick all units in Region, Pick all units of type, Pick all units in range, blahblahblahb... search in the unit group type of actions, and you will be able to see what type of units you can pick all of. Then, order picked unit to attack move to another region... learn to check for leaks. I havent yet. Infact, I am going to right now.

at

at

Level 4
Thanks for the answer :)
Another question, maybe stupid: I've looked, but I can't find it, how do you make the units say things, showing their portrait and the text in the box down there, you know, like they do in the campaigns :p

at

at

Level 4
A question: I want the maps linked together, and I have two questions.
Is it possible to keep all the items and custom units that I've created in the last map when I make a new one? I don't want the heroes to level up to 10, and then start again at 1 at every level, but I want it to go slow and steady, and keep the levels between the maps, if you get my point. How to? (Most simple and annoying question :p)
Thanks /at

at

at

Level 4
Thanks, I've checked it out.
Another probably dump question: (I seem to be full of them) Is it possible to create units with triggers even if that teams food capability is maxed? My point with this question is wether I need to create more then 1 uruk'hai team to be able to create like 250 units or something, more than max.

at

at

Level 4
Another question :D
How to make a certain area black and not walkable?
And one more:
How to make big, flat slopes without using the ramp tool? I've seen them, and I want them :p

at

at

Level 4
Thanks, another question, in addition to the one remaining post:
Is there any command to like move straight forward a certain leghnt or something? The point is, I want to pick (with triggers) like 20 uruks that's standing in a cube, and then make them march forward without transforming into a swarm. Possible or not?
EDIT: Having a litte problem. When I run the campaign, I see the map as a button, but when I click it, the screen fades to black and then I come back to the same menu. What's the problem?
EDIT2: I'm proud, found a way to solve my first problem. Move to units position offset and then a value. Looks awesome when they march in formations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.