• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Age of Empires(like) map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I am trying to create a map based off of Age of Empires II: Age of Kings with as much detail and accuracy as possible with a few modifications here and there for game quality. This is my first attempt at anything other than a melee map and i have reached the point where i havent made any progress in about a week and a half while working on it bout 6 hours a day. I am making this map mainly for personal use as all of my roommates and i like to play and are looking for another map to "smash" on. If anybody would like to help it would be awesome. I realize this is a simple idea for a map but like i said i am fairly new to anything other than melee maps and am having a lot of difficulty getting the multiboards to show for the other resources for each player and for the resources to be individualized for each player as well. ( Yes i have checked tutorials, and cant really make sense of them). I want to make this map playable for up to 8 people. and keep the multiboard as simple as possible listing only stone and food resources. Again if anybody would like to help me develop this I would greatly appreciate it!!! :)

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Well, age of empires is setup for 4 different resources, while wc3 only supprt for wood and gold, or whatever you intend to use them for.

Multiboards must be set in local for each player, but I can take a look when I arrive home. The more difficult thing I guess would be to setup a custom harvest system for the other minerals. Also how the workers should harvest food from different sources will be a challenge unless you already made those.

Level 3
how is this the wrong forum? im trying to somewhat remake a "decent" version of AoE for warcraft. but I have the multiboards up and running for the extra resources currently labeling only "food" and "Stone" and as of right now i have it so workers basically just attack the resources to harvest from them (without returning to base) as of right now anyways. but i'm maing sure the values are all there etc... which they are and i have Farms, Sheep, Pigs, Deer, Schools of Fish, and Fish traps that can all be harvested for food this way. still working on trying to get them to have a return to base harvest system. Was thinking maybe give them an item that represents that resource and when worker has "X" amount items return to base, drop items and items become the variables?

EDIT: nvm on the wrong forum thing did not see that this was for "non-related" i thought it read "related" to WC3
also how do i move the thread?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I advise you work on StarCraft II. A good map takes years to finish and by the time you do so for WarCraft III there will be even fewer players who would play your work.

Basicly developing for WarCraft III is like developing a N64 game when we have already gone to the Wii U. It might work and may be very good but few people will play it.

Level 3
I advise you work on StarCraft II. A good map takes years to finish and by the time you do so for WarCraft III there will be even fewer players who would play your work.

Basicly developing for WarCraft III is like developing a N64 game when we have already gone to the Wii U. It might work and may be very good but few people will play it.

I realize that but i'm making this game mainly for me and my roommates and friends. I've only spent bout 2 weeks on it already and its nearly done... (mainly because most of what i need is already here on Hive). Also every single account i've ever made for StarCraft2 (5 in total) have been hacked within a week of creation and permantly locked and all information changed. This has happened on 5 different internet connections, physical locations, and computers/emails. 4 of the computers being brand new and had just hooked up to the internet that same day. So i personally do not trust StarCraft2 simply because for me it is not a reliably playable game. That and out of every person i physically know that plays any Blizzard game, i'm the only one that plays StarCraft2 (when i can) or even owns it.

I also kinda prefer the "corny" anime graphics and limitations of WC3, in comparison to StarCraft2

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
So i personally do not trust StarCraft2 simply because for me it is not a reliably playable game.
The only thing not reliable is your security policy by the sounds of things. My (like most peoples) BattleNet 2.0 account has never been hacked. My brothers account has also not been hacked.

Just because a computer is brand new does not mean it has no keyloggers or viruses in it by the time you install StarCraft II. You might also be using easy to guess passwords or they may have comprimised your Email used to create the account.

Level 3
The only thing not reliable is your security policy by the sounds of things. My (like most peoples) BattleNet 2.0 account has never been hacked. My brothers account has also not been hacked.

Just because a computer is brand new does not mean it has no keyloggers or viruses in it by the time you install StarCraft II. You might also be using easy to guess passwords or they may have comprimised your Email used to create the account.

passwords were generated randomly and written down every time. and i made sure every email i've ever used for StarCraft wasnt compromised, and triple checked for keyloggers on all of them. I just have terrible luck when it comes to StarCraft 2... well with blizzard in general really every since they did the battle.net merger thing i've had constant problems no matter what i try... if it werent for all of those issues i'd probably use StarCraft instead but its just not a reliable option for me.... i also have had an authenticator with phone backup on all of these accounts as well. and even through all that they have been hacked every one of the...

Level 25
To be honest, I think Warcraft 3 will actually outlive StarCraft 2 - simply because of its offline capability and easy of installation.

If and when Blizzard one day decides that it isn't worth hosting SC2 on Battle.net anymore, players will be forced to use illegal hacks to play the game. A war3 server costs next to nothing - just a single box to do matchmaking and share gamelists. SC2, on the other hand, hosts every single game that is played.

Level 3
To be honest, I think Warcraft 3 will actually outlive StarCraft 2 - simply because of its offline capability and easy of installation.

If and when Blizzard one day decides that it isn't worth hosting SC2 on Battle.net anymore, players will be forced to use illegal hacks to play the game. A war3 server costs next to nothing - just a single box to do matchmaking and share gamelists. SC2, on the other hand, hosts every single game that is played.

I know i'll still be playing WC3 for years and years to come. started played the Warcraft series back on PS1 haha. Plus without extreme modeling and modifications StarCraft is pretty limited as far as genre and diversity of making custom games go... Even if the games are a bit cornyish they are relatively easy to make therefore there will always be an abundant mix of available games to play for WC3 and not as many for StarCraft. for example TDs on Starcraft including remade ones are all SUPER similar and almost annoying to play simply because they all use the same models with (maybe) different models for projectiles and thats about it...

Level 3
I don't really think its nice to start another one, i mean we already have Age of War. The closest thing that we can get for a AoE like map.

Yeah i've seen this one before. its a great game; however as i stated before i'm making this one because i've never made a non melee map before and want to try something fairly simple and its a project between my roommates and myself for mainly just our own personal use. Not really looking to make a huge commercial product here.

EDIT: Also Age of War/similar maps do not work on Mac Computers where as my map does and will continue to do so...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.