• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Age of Empires: Age of Kingdoms (Name is a WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Now I know what you're thinking... I've never EVER finished working on ANY map. Well, my friends, this ends now. See, I've hatched an awesome idea that may just appeal to some of you. I've decided to make a remake of Age of Empires, but at the same time, add a lot of new ideas, and change some things around to work with the limitations of Warcraft III.

Age of Empires: Age of Kingdoms is a free for all real time strategy that takes place in the medieval ages. Players start with the command of a "Kingdom" and various starting units and defenses. In order to win, players must conquer and control all of the Kingdoms (including various neutral ones).

Age of Kingdoms will have many features, some *hopefully* unique from other maps or mods of the same type.

1)As opposed to standard builder-type units, Age of Kingdoms utilizes a "building-plot" system. Each Kingdom gives you access to more building plots that you can use to build various buildings. However, some buildings can be built by a builder unit, such as various defense structures and resource-gathering points.

2)An Age of Empires-type map would not be complete without an Age-advancement system. Ages can be advanced through a Town Center, and each Age has various new technologies, units, and structures.

3)As most of you probably know, Age of Empires had many, many resources that needed to be collected. Because I am limited to two, I have decided to split them up in a logical way. Instead of Gold, Wood, and Food, players have "Food, Materials, and Population". Food can be gained by sending laborers to work on Farms, which can be built by the laborer himself. Materials can be earned by harvesting various resources, such as lumber, gold, and stone. Population can be gained by capturing Kingdoms or building Farms.

4)The combat will be much faster than standard Warcraft III. Units will have a very small amount of health and a very high rate of damage. Melee units' attacks will hit multiple units that may be standing nearby. Ranged units' (such as Archers, Crossbowmen, etc.) attacks may hit multiple units in a line. Hopefully these few things will make the combat a little bit quicker and exciting.

age%20of%20empires%201.jpg
age%20of%20empires%202.jpg

Well? Tell me what you think!

Last edited:
Level 15
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that! And if a player tries to build a building without the proper resources, the building he tries to create either: becomes destroyed or isn't built.

Level 15
Well, to be honest, I don't really know exactly how to approach it. I wanted to do a sort of Battle for Middle Earth-style system where you select a building plot and select a building you want to construct.

Edit: Early WIP screenshots of the terrain are up. When I'm completely satisfied with it, I'll move on to work on the building plots, where everything will go, etc. The map consists of a forest split into four by a stream. Each player starts in one of the four parts.

Last edited:
Now I know what you're thinking... I've never EVER finished working on ANY map. Well, my friends, this ends now. See, I've hatched an awesome idea that may just appeal to some of you. I've decided to make a remake of Age of Empires, but at the same time, add a lot of new ideas, and change some things around to work with the limitations of Warcraft III.

That's what I was always thinking when I started a new map...and guess what..I never finished it.

Also the terrain pics aren't good :/ Try a bit more.

Level 22
well, i recommend just creating a Building Plot building, based off of the scout tower or something. then make it invulnerable, walkable, etc. and make it upgradeable to all the buildings in your techtree, or whatever buildings you want. thats what im doing atleast.

Level 15
well, i recommend just creating a Building Plot building, based off of the scout tower or something. then make it invulnerable, walkable, etc. and make it upgradeable to all the buildings in your techtree, or whatever buildings you want. thats what im doing atleast.

That's what I was thinking, but I need to make it so that when the "kingdom" is captured, all of the plots connected become owned by the guy who captured said kingdom. It'll take some thought, but I still need to finish my terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.