• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Age of Kings - An Age of Empires Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Age of Kings

What is this map about?
This is intended as an conversion from Age of Empires 2 to Warcraft 3 with my own twists.
This map will go from dark age to castle age.
The area of the map contains: England, France, a part of Germany & a part of Norway
Its a project by me (Cr33d) in order to create a solid rts based on age of empires 2.
Using up to 90% imported materials.

What is included:

Factions:
There are 4 factions in game for now. More will come soon.
Every faction has an unique unit & has specific bonuses over other races.

this is a list of the factions implemented.

Racials:
Towncenters can be entered by peasants allowing it to shoot arrows at enemy units, making rushing pretty difficult on teutons.
Monks will get double the healing range, making them enable to be targeted by ranged.
Teutons get masonry upgrades for free each new age.
Farms cost 33% less wood.

This makes teutons a very defensive race, difficult to rush & strong endgame.

Special unit - Teutonic Knight:
Info: The power of the teutonic knights cannot be matched by any unit. They have high melee damage, high resistance making them extremely powerful. The downside of this is their slow movement speed, making them easy prey to kiting.

Racials:
Towncenters cost 25% less gold & wood.
Archers get 125 bonus range.
Units trained from archery range are trained 20% faster.
Peasants carry up to 5 wood more.

Brittons are a race that relies heavily on archers making them an excellent aggressive race.

Special unit - Sherwood Archer
Info: The pride of the Brittish archery. These highly skilled archers have the best bows in the world giving them an high damage output. Their ability to pin down enemy infantry makes them very viable. As well their ability to camouflage at night.

Racials
Franks start with farm upgrades for free when they reach a new age.
Castles cost 25% less for Franks.
Knights, cavaliers, and paladins gain +20% hit points.
Storage rooms cost no resources for Franks.

Franks are a good economic race, with heavy & strong knights.

Special unit - Cavalier:
Info: The french knights have always struck fear into the eyes of the enemies, these elite knights named cavalier are the best riders in the known world. They have good armor, good damage, high movement speed & spears to counter enemy mounted units.

Racials
15% health bonus for infantry
Docks cost 30% less resources
Have 200 population from start
Ships have an additional 3 armor.

This makes vikings a very good rushing race & very mobile.

Special unit - Beserker
Info: The most frenzied of all vikings are these fearsome beserkers. They are designed to be the ultimate warrior making them very good against racial special units. They are better then any average warrior & have high survivability.

Units:
Units will be basically the same like in age of empires.
I spent a lot of time just finding the good models for each unit.
EVERY UNIT, has a new skin or model. (Credit list to be updated soon)

Like in age of empires the game is based on counters.
E.G.
Spearmen are strong against mounted units like knights.
Skirmishers are strong against archers.
Horse archers can kite teutonic knights etc etc.

You have to be careful with using units.
Every unit also has a specific set of abilities, that upgrade when the unit kills an other unit enhancing their abilities. Archers have a chance to deal a critical hit, melee soldiers have a chance to block. Fighting a lot gives a unit experience allowing it to increase the effect of these abilities.

Here is a list of all units (yes units are upgraded to a new unit like in age of empires 2)

Workers:
Peasants
Artisan

Melee Units:
Axeman > Men-at-Arms > longswordsman
Spearman > pikeman

Horse units
Knight > Paladin
Horse achers

Ranged:
Archers > Crossbowmen
Skirmishers

Magic:
Cleric
Holy Monk
Satanic Monk

Siege:
Onager
Balista
Trebuchet

Naval:
Transport
Frigate
Battleship
Fireship

Other:
General
Spy
Tradecarts

As you can see there are some new units.

Generals:
These are hero units, every general has the ability to toggle an aura (defence, attack, regeneration)
They will be able to upgrade these auras. (note: only one aura can be handled by a general)

The downside of these generals is they aren't revivable so losing a lvl 10 general is a great blow to your forces. You will have to make a new one.

Spies
Spies is a new concept, they are stealted with good range of sight & have the ability to sabotage buildings pausing what ever the building is constructing.
They can be detected by towers & other spies.

Monks
Apart from the regular age of empires 2 monks, you will be able to upgrade these into holy or satanic monks. More info about this soon!

Game Modes
At the start of the game you will be able to set modes.
Do note that you can ally anyone you want by commands.
You will start neutral to all players until someone declares war on you or visa versa.

King mode:
You will get one king (he can enter castles for protection & has high armor) who you will have to defend, if your king dies so will you
Deathmatch:
Players get high resources and you have to kill all enemy units/buildings to win
Normal:
Low resources & kill every unit.
Pointmode:
You will have to gather points by like advancing first to feudal age. Having a good K/D ratio. Having a high economy, killing a player etc etc. The one to get 1000 points first wins the match.

Resources
I have pondered a long time about this. And I have troubles with it so i am sticking with goldmines & lumber for now. With the addition of farms. (You have to build a windmill which generates farmland. On this farmland farms can be build with a limited amount of gold. This works like a regular goldmine except they can be rebuild.

I am planning on converting the original age of empires income system into this map, when i have the time for it.

Recruitment
In order to keep this project alive I am in need of assistance.
-One coder (for the resource system & various other things)
-Modelers/skinners (for improving the units.)

Special Thanks
I like to show my gratitude towards these people for their resources:
-Cloudwolf
-Members of the Scarz of Conflict pack
-Chrome
-Maker of the medieval building pack
-And more to come soon!

Screenshots
Your average city:

City.png

All ingame units:

AokUnits.png

All ingame naval units (xept for fireship)

Age8.png

Misc.
Q - Are wonders going to be implemented?
A - Nope I am really against winning on such condition

Q - Relics????
A - Yes relics will be implemented apart from the victory condition.

I might make a mode for setting victory conditions, not sure

Q - How about gates & walls?
A - Walls are implemented but I am not going to add gates until I find a good system for it. WC3 sadly doesn't support good gate control as i am used to in age of empires so I will have to find a solution to it.

Q - When will this map be released?
A - Around the end of july

Q - Is there an AI?
A - For the time being no, not yet. Will be added after a large timescale. (I need help with this)

Q - Is Trade included?
A - Yes markets can trade with allies by sending tradecarts to allied markets to gain gold, based on the distance between the 2 markets.

Suggestions & Feedback are welcome!!

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I think someone is already working on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.