• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Aetherium

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

Description
Is this a dream or is it just reality?

My entry in the Melee Mapping Contest #2.
145991-7244338f31a8faf2e721d75d44325514.png

Map features:

5 Gold Mines
2 Goblin Merchants
2 Goblin Laboratories
4 Waygates
1 Mercenary Camp
1 Marketplace
1 Fountain of Mana
1 Tavern
1.1 [19.09.2018]
-Changed the netherdrake green camp (9) to orange (12)
-Added Critters to allow more Rod of Necromancy usage (as many of the early creeps generate no corpses)
-Made both bases equally easy to wall off.
-Removed some unbuildable tiles next to early orange camps to allow easier Ancient of War creeping.

1.0 [15.09.2018]
- Uploaded

[size=-9] o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o[/size]
Feel free to rate and comment! Please report any bugs or suggestions down in the comment section below. Enjoy!
Contents

Aetherium (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Awaiting Update based on reviews here: Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Results
Daffa
Too long as Awaiting Update. Substandard until author updates and requested another review.
Level 29
Green creeps should be near base, is pointless to walk much for only green creeps, I sugest change green 9 with orange 12.

enviroment is really unique.

edit: I see inside the map that the level 9 creep is an airborne only, so I think is ok to have it there...

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

The greatest melee map ever made for Warcraft 3 ! 5/5 no doubt

Level 13
This makes me think of Peter Pan's Neverland turning into a nightmare.
The juxtaposition of the terrain is appealing and not randomly placed.
In fact, it's just like a chaotic form of organisation on an ordered, deteriorating disk of a dream.
I especially like the steps down for floating platforms.

EDIT:
This map has an excellent feel when playing soft final fantasy piano music in the background.

Last edited:
Level 3
Excellent work. Creative as hell.

In terms of suggestions, my only one is that there could be more going on with doodad work. Feels like a map that should have a mana fountain - not a literal fountain of mana, but a blue... doodad that could be interpreted as a fountain of mana. Somewhere. This is obviously supposed to be a very magical setting, so some wild magic present would spice things up. That Eye of Sargeras, for example, lacks presentation.

Continuing on from the doodad point, I feel that the map might benefit from more obvious subdivison into 'themes.' Perhaps one starting position could have a fire theme, the other, an ice theme, while the center has an 'arcane' theme - representing the three WoW mage specializations. Or perhaps the 'outer ring' should be more obviously crumbling, while the 'inner ring' would be more intact - representing the collapse of the dream?

More so than most, this is a map where the limitations of the world editor become somewhat apparent. This would be amazing if rendered in a more modern technology platform - the basic idea is wonderful.

Also, really, not even one flying sheep?

Great work.

Level 3
@W3Sour - why? Nothing in this map seemed problematic to me except, perhaps, the waygates - and they aren't actually problematic, just unusual in a standard blizzard map. For these ones, you can't build near them, they aren't too close to the bases, etc. If you actually look hard at this map and ignore the pink-sky-background, and actually look at the base layout and resources, it's pretty similar to Swamped Temple, which is now in the rotation.

Level 14
@JSRGN

Map has huge number of extreme chokes, down to a 1-and-2-tile-wide-bridges which is a big no-no.
Map is too large.
Map has some problematic creep camp combinations.
Map has large amounts of dead/air space, even around your entire Main, which can be problematic and very very hard to balance.
The width of the center ring could be considered okay, but the meeting points of the armies will most likely always be at the chokes - meaning - no surprises/surrounds/flanks.
It has mana fountain dead at middle.

And so on :)
Very unique but unplayable (maybe for fun only)

Level 4
I gave it a 9/10 in opinion. The art, layout, visuals... breathtaking. I can see how standard melee map strat might not work, hence some not liking since competitive play relies on being able to to things like rush a tavern, etc, as JaleVeliki pointed out. I myself like different melee strats for maps though... who wants to play the same build order and rush every time? Amazing stuff, love the backdrop!

Level 13
Super beautiful. I think i would have it on thumbs down as a ladder option because it's a bit large and some of the choke points are really tight and getting around in general is a bit convoluted because of the design, but top scores for originality and art.

Level 3
I must say:
This is absolute awesome.

I have downloaded your map and exportet the Alpha-Tile and the Skysphere-model. Currently i am playing around with them and have my first "it finally works"-experiences.

It would be cool to have an Tutorial about how to make an Alpha-Tile. (With Gimp for example, since it is for free)

But that is not up to you.
Thanks a lot for this map! ;-)

Last edited:
I must say:
This is absolute awesome.

I have downloaded your map and exportet the Alpha-Tile and the Skysphere-model. Currently i am playing around with them and have my first "it finally works"-experiences.

It would be cool to have an Tutorial about how to make an Alpha-Tile. (With Gimp for example, since it is for free)

But that is not up to you.
Thanks a lot for this map! ;-)
@Donnerkoettel I'm glad you like it. The alpha tile is actually available in a lot of places, including the bottom of my terraining tutorial. But it's basically a texture file fully covered in alpha channel. The color underneath determines the color it appears as on the minimap.

Level 8
Based on which part of the reviews exactly? The parts that say it's not suitable for ladder? Yes, it's not. None of my melee maps are, yet the rest are approved.

We're mostly referring to the aspects of the map that can be changed without reworking the map completely. I know it's obvious that a map like yours wouldn't probably appear in a ladder pool, but it's not about that. It's more about things that could be easily fixed by making a few simple improvements as mentioned in the reviews. For example, in my review I said that many camps have very generous drops and that the ramps leading to the middle of the map are too narrow and make units move in a clunky and confusing manner. If you could, say, tone down the drops a bit (and remove the ring+5 from the pool as it's much worse than the rest of the possible drops) and widen the pathways, your map would be much more fun and suitable for Melee. It doesn't have to be tournament viable, I just want to somehow encourage you to improve your "diamond in the rough".