• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Aeronauts Retry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
As a heads up, most of this is copied from the old Aeronauts post, which was masterfully done by ap0calypse.

Aeronauts-Second Time

Previous threads: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/idea-factory-462/map-only-sky-169686/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/aeronauts-170594/

Overview-
Aeronauts will become a map featuring RPG- and LoaP-elements, taken to the sky.
You will control an airship and can choose your own destiny.
The game will be a mix between various genres, such as fantasy and steampunk.

Gameplay-
This has changed, i think there should no longer be a "world below"
You will control an airship and have to fly around the world.
While doing so, you have several options: you can become an aeronauts who defends cities and/or other players from pirate attacks and accept missions to wipe out pirates, or you can choose to become a pirate yourself: raid cities, plunder wandering merchants and take all loot you can find.
If you rather want to become wealthy without too much fighting, you can become a broker and sell/buy resources, either for other people (missions), or of your own free will.
When you've become succeseful at either one of these and want to do something else for a change, have no fear: you can buy a second ship for a completely different purpose, note that you can only have one active ship at a time.

Classes-
Broker Specializes in the economy buying items from players and NPC and selling them to both also. Usually sticks around cities looking for the best deals. Airship will be upgraded to have more cargo as the levels increase.
Commodore Focuses on warfare and protection. Not only will this player complete quests for NPC, but can protect other players as the travel to another city. Conducts raids on pirates dose not have the option to attack non pirates
Freelancer Has a hybrid ship with the option of leaning more towards trading or more towards war. As levels increase player will be able to choose between trading abilities or warfare abilities. Note* this players warfare and trading ability will never be as good as the Broker or Commodore.
Pirate Turns their back on society, attacking who ever they please for profit. can trade within the pirate society and do pirate quests. All players who are pirates are hostile towards all, and neutral to to other pirates.

Races-
Human Their skills in diplomacy gives them access to a larger variety of quests, also their negotiating skills help them out of tight situations.
Orc Dedicating their lives to organized war they are truly the best fighters in the sky, their airships cause far more damage than any other.
Dwarf Their high attention to detail and use of extraordinary materials makes their ships the strongest and also applies to their craft. Any item modified by a dwarf will sell for double on the market.
Goblin Crafty and devious the Goblins get inside deals making all items and materials cheaper. Caring little about safety they craft fast weak ships that zip them along their paths.

Features-
Trading This is the biggest part of the game, most things in the game involve trade. Straight trading is when you buy or sell a raw material to an NPC and not to a player. Exchanges are when players trade, not sell or buy but trade one item for another item, not money. Such as a compass traded for a watch. In the game only certain NPC will but crafted items and those items made by dwarves will sell for the most. Goblins will get discounts when buying raw materials.
Raiding Commodores have warships that can attack other ships but also any defenses on a piece of land they are trying to claim, usually this is a gate or a tower that should be destroyed first so the payer can unload all their crew to kill and take over the land. Orcs get a huge bonus in attacks it may take an orc Commodore thirty seconds to conquer an island, and it takes a goblin five minutes with two separate attacks.
Exploring Landmarks and points of interest are spread across the map this usually involves a quest but discovering new places always gives experience even if its by accident.
Crafting All players craft items, when there are the right amount or materials in your inventory you use a recipe and make the item. Then items can be used to create complex items.
Materials The materials available are 4 Different Metals : Copper, steel, mythril, and the dwarf only elementium. 4 different woods : Maple, oak, mahogany, and ironbark. Metal in used for mechanical parts and string hull upgrades, and wood is used for low weight items, such as increasing your cargo without making your ship way too much.

Previous members/contributers of the Project:
Coffeeholic
Medion555
Takakenji
Kontulainen
De.Facto
spider22
WhereWolfThereWolf
ap0calypse
Indomitable1319
Supertoinkz

Screenshots can be found in the other posts, Note* I really have no skills in the WarIII editor except for some mild terraining. I would most likely just approve things and test, and make sure vampires don't somehow infiltrate this map. LETS GET IT DONE THIS TIME!

Level 11
aeronauts_predev_002nqia.jpg

aeronauts_predev_00555mg.jpg

aeronauts_predev_006fuhb.jpg

aeronauts_predev_010zkqs.jpg

Some of the last work-arounds on the first isles. I really would like to help you out, but I can't.
Good luck guys.

Level 8
Sure. But you should prioriotize and decide what to make first by yourself. Then if during that progress you'll need help or idea, contact us.

Sounds good. the thing im scared of the most is the systems, but i may just download some, and leave the rest like the "crew loading system" we were going to have, its not necessary because ships have cargo for units.

Level 10
Thank you for stopping by WherewolfTherewolf.

if people could help me make it by telling me how to do things it will be good, but if i hear any ideas that i could not actually do, even if i tried, i will discard them.

Observations from the downfall of the last time:
1) Leaders went missing randomly (and I'm saying they didn't come back for a few months at least)
2) Members fell apart after awhile from a lack of [organization] (not exactly sure how to put it)
3) Members who did survive the lack-of-leadership attempted to continue, but the lack of assistance lead it to its doom
4) Overall, I didn't see much more then great ideas and epic terrain screenshots (nothing on the side of units/spells/systems/triggers/other things maps include). Of course, the terrain probably balances things out

Learn what you may from them. This is purely for the benefit of the team (so that things may go better).
Anyways, I'll be interested in this map, yet again. I'm happy it is back.

Level 8
Observations from the downfall of the last time:
1) Leaders went missing randomly (and I'm saying they didn't come back for a few months at least)
2) Members fell apart after awhile from a lack of [organization] (not exactly sure how to put it)
3) Members who did survive the lack-of-leadership attempted to continue, but the lack of assistance lead it to its doom
4) Overall, I didn't see much more then great ideas and epic terrain screenshots (nothing on the side of units/spells/systems/triggers/other things maps include). Of course, the terrain probably balances things out

Learn what you may from them. This is purely for the benefit of the team (so that things may go better).
Anyways, I'll be interested in this map, yet again. I'm happy it is back.

Very good points im glad your interested :D, The terrain will be severely downgraded, im afraid to say. I dont have the skills to do it. so i hope i can get like a half as good terrain. Thanks for stopping by Landmine.

i agree with your points yet im about to commit one :p. i will be going to my grandmothers, she has no internet except for the library in her town, so i will be working on the map and posting updates. I want to spend time with her so ill be working on the map all night instead of day. Im not completely gone!

Level 8
I can do terrain fairly well so I could help work on that, I'm not going to try and say I'm as good as Facto, but I can at least do something that's better then average (I believe he already had a ton of his high quality, fancy models already imported into the map).

He cant find the map. and the terrain he was making was a bit too complex, it was beautiful tho. And if you could help me with terrain it would be great. ill tell ya if i get some problems.

You didn't call me.
Why not?

Anyway, it's cool that this is coming along again. :)

Eeek i forgot to tell you i guess. and yes its is cool.

Level 8
I think a modifies abyss tile.

And chanan,what happened to your New world Paradise project?

You can modify really any tile and have it look fairly good.

The Conquest of Paradise, its actually half done. I got stuck on how players will be able to capture tribes over time and then exploit them. Other than most of the triggers its got units, quests, all the object editor things. But i put it aside for school work. Now that most my midterms ore over and i have turned in my thesis, i can use the computer more. ( im also a bit more interested in aeronauts :p)

Also Rise of Magic, is gone. i lost the map and i was to angry to continue.

EDIT: Im trying to edit the cliff tiles but its hard, and it seems that every solution i find creates a problem.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    768.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Level 8
Is there a way to make buildings 'Float' then?

Yes, its quite easy to make it look nice too. Put some rocks around the floating building and it looks even better.

As units? I think so. Set them as flying units, and change their flying height.

As doodads, of course. CTRL+PgUp or CTRL+PgDwn.

But there is no need to do that, provided you are using the powerful Alpha Tiles.

yes you are correct. but we will not be using CTRL+PgUp etc.

Level 19
Oh, I wonder if there's a way to actually make units walk upwards on air as if there's an invisible staircase.

Level 5
I've sort-of-just-finished reading Retribution Falls and The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding, so I'm really stoked to find this and would like to say: OMG GET THIS DONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Deym I wish I had more time to lend a hand here..... :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.