• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Advanced Campaign Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Well i wanted to make an epic Star Wars campaign about the Mandalorian Wars. I went into hi-gear research, and when through thousands of models here on the hive picking out ones i think would be best. Uncompressed its something like 12 mb worth and over 200 files. On word i created a story arc, and created the outline for the 14 campaign parts (11 missions, 3 interludes) I also went out and made 14 loading screens for each part. I created the outline for the units, heroes and items as well. I had a separate word document for logging in all the model credits (went to like 85). This took me the entire day with little break.

Now ive never made a campaign before, but Ive been using the world editor for years, i learned it pretty well, i wasn't worried about the campaign aspect because it didn't look that scary. So the fact that i was making a long campaign (looking at others, 14 parts is a pretty good size) as my first campaign, i wasn't worried at all. Well Ive run into some problems.

I Created a unit using 1 of many imports under the Campaign Editors Object Editor. Then kinda tried to place him in a blank map. doi, i should of probably should of saved the map as somthing first and then add it to the campaign. Then i save the campaign as well, and under the campaign page right click the map and hit "edit". Wa la, everything is jolly. Clearly in blue in the regular object editor i see the unit i made, so i right click him and put him in the map. Then i hit save, and also save the campaign, and test it out. The unit made from the campaign editor isnt there, while the unedited footman is :(. Personally me, im a Problem Solver. So i fiddled with it for a good 20-25 minutes and still cant get it to work. All of a sudden is very confusing.

^^ All that can be summed up in a short fraise: What seemed easy turned into a slight nightmare :(

My Request:
So thus, i ask someone to make an advanced campaign tutorial specifically looking at model imports and making units in the campaign editor. Also it would be great to include "Do's and Don'ts of making a good Campaign", with saying something such as "If this is your first campaign, don't make it longer then 3 maps" or something like that. In my case it would of been really helpful to look onto something. I do realize their is a basic campaign tutorial here, but it pretty much just goes over the features and how to save heroes/things.

Level 11
i did fix my problem. turns out you cant use the "test map" feature because it wont run with the campaign data. However it would still be nice if their were some more tips on how to do a campaign, how missions should look, good ways to go ect. not *just* how to use the game cache (which i think their is 2 hive tutorials on at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.