• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Adding a Custom Attack Effect Using Attack Effect Model Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Solved: All I had to do was simply change the unit's attack type to missile instead of instant and change the projectile art to the custom missile art.

I'm interested in using some of the attack effects from the Konstrukt pack. most of these consist of 1 effect coming out of the barrel of the gun, and another effect which is the projectile. Each have their respective models.

Now Talon the Mage, who obviously has trouble with english, posted this on the subject:

"You create a dummie ability, based on something wich is cast on a single target and has no autocast, lightening shild for example, now modifie the ability so that it deals no damage and has no viewable buff and so on. And now you ad the weopon effekt in "caster" and definie it to be attached at weapon. Now you create a second dummie ability, based on sloworb, give it the other dummie ability insted of the slow, and a 100% chance to be casted. If you give this second dummie ability now a unit, the effect will be displayed during attack. The unit which has the ability has to have a high missile-speed, cause the effekt is displayed in the moment the attaked unit takes dammage."

Questions I have about this:

1. What SPECIFIC modifications should I make to the 1st dummy ability? (I'm using lightning shield). Should I just set all the values to 0? He says "and so on" which could mean any sort of change to the modification and so EXTREMELY nebulous wording. Does anyone know what I should specifically modify? I removed the Stats - Buffs, Mana Cost, Duration - Normal/Hero, and put the cooldown at 0.

2. When I put the "art - caster" on the first dummy ability as the weapon effect model, do I leave the "art - target" blank and just set the string of attachment pt. 1 to the hand with the weapon?

3. Is it the item "Slow (Orb Version)"?(For the 2nd dummy ability that is) If it is that, how do I reference the first custom dummy ability? Which value should be modified? Art - Caster would be a model... and a custom ability isn't a model, but its the only place I can see which might negate the slow effect and replaces it with another ability.

4. What does he mean by "give it the other dummie ability insted of the slow, and a 100% chance to be casted"? What value within the 2nd dummy ability do I use to reference the 1st dummy ability? I see none. (The only one is Art - Caster, but that won't reference custom abilities as far as I can tell)

If someone here could point me to a well made tutorial about changing the unit attack animation using dummy abilities or just clear up my questions it would be eternally appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Level 22
hey, see that you got into some trouble so here's some help :)

1. 0 value everything except the model thing I guess, not targets thought

2. I think you just need to use art -caster and set the model there else it should be art - target but I think if the tutorial says so use caster

3. No it's "Item Ability - Orb of slow" :) that one it is, you can change some chance on hit values there

4. in the ability above there is a field named: "Data - Effect Ability" change that to the first one

thats all :)

regards

baassee

Level 4
Well despite your help (Thanks again!)

I can't get this to work ._.

Here are some screenshots, maybe you guys can find where I went wrong.
The 1st dummy ability.
dummy1scrn.png

The 2nd dummy ability.
2nddummyscrn.jpg

The unit.
unitscrn.jpg

Should I edit the missle art on the orb?

Should I just use a different ability instead of lightning shield? Maybe like the huntress's glaive? and just add that ability to the unit with the custom missile art at a high speed?

Level 4
I think you should remove the art stuff in the orb. Else I dont know the problem, can you explain just a little more what's wqong?

Well, I boot up the game and no custom missile art appears! The models shoot nothingness at their enemies.

I'd like them to shoot something instead xD! (Namely this missile model!)

Level 4
Oh crap, so basiclly you want like an item with this ability that when you puts it on you get the wpn and change the attack art right?

Well, they start default with the weapon, I just want their Attack 1 to display the missile art when they're shooting.

The weapon item will be constant throughout the game, they won't be picking up new weapons.

If you've ever played undead assault, you can see the bullets as they're shooting, that what I'm looking to do.

Level 4
I think I know what's the problem. The dummy spell 2 enables attack index right? I'm not an item creator so dunno if this works but check your units attack 2s

I'm not sure what you mean. My unit attack 2's are blank, all 0s.

Anyway, on the upside of things just changing the projectile model for the unit displays the missile effect on the units hehe.. but only when it hits them.

I think my main problem is that the Infantry-1 guy is based off of the marine, now the marine doesn't normally have a missile animation, because he's based on the rifleman. I need to override this somehow and still keep the unit attack sounds intact.

Level 22
I think my main problem is that the Infantry-1 guy is based off of the marine, now the marine doesn't normally have a missile animation, because he's based on the rifleman. I need to override this somehow and still keep the unit attack sounds intact.

I just based on that. If infantry is based on marine and then marine dont have a normal because he is based on riflemen.

Just make new custom unit rifle? and mfor the marine?

Level 4
I just based on that. If infantry is based on marine and then marine dont have a normal because he is based on riflemen.

Just make new custom unit rifle? and mfor the marine?

Well that's what my units are, they're rifleman with the infantry model file.

I tried using the missile animation (just changing the projectile art on the unit) on a huntress and it worked perfectly.

Maybe I can take a unit with a visible projectile and just modify the sounds/model.

Level 4
Okay, thats all good n' well. So how would I set the sound when the huntress fires to a sound of my choosing? Right now my infantry guy sounds like he's throwing a glaive at someone when he's shooting.

Level 4
Solved: All I had to do was simply change the unit's attack type to missile instead of instant and change the projectile art to the custom missile art.

Status
Not open for further replies.