• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About Commenting On User's Mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Its been a while since I started to groove in here back around year circa 201X and I see we have been active, cooperative, and giving stoic discussions from one another. But what drives me to write or type this little thread was there is something that bugs me, over and over again.

You see, when someone uploads a map, and they could be new or old, remember that a lot of users around here are not suited to corresponding on bb codes and most here are guests (guests are those who logs in to just browse, try something out of their daily routine of doing nothing, etc), and its that little text of commands that may be a 1/4 similarity of programming. By that they are zero on understanding it at all, and due to the map submission rules to have a "general" abiding effect to maintain decency, some users are willing to comment on their threads to follow the ruling guideline or else face the consequence of moderator oblivion. But here's the point:

"Wouldn't it be enough for one user to already have explained it to tell the author to follow the map rules?", I've seen couples of users repeating the similar fraction of the said rules in hopes to knock the author off its feet and do a barrel roll on the process, I mean its like ringing the door bell, and then you ringed it again, and again. Its a sad, and non-productive way to be honest.

My deepest apologies if some of you may think I am over-reacting and to be blunt on what I observed when a map is uploaded with no description or just written a few, I say let the first man(user) who said it lasts till the author gets the memo. I also would accept a better response if a user decided to report the map with no description when it starts to stay as it is from around 1-2 days now, that could be more logical.

That's it for now, good day to all.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

"Wouldn't it be enough for one user to already have explained to follow the map rules?"

Couldn't agree more. And I also thing the first user should at least take a glance at the map before posting such messages, at least giving some form of feedback. Maybe others think it's unnecessary, but it seems like a decent approach to me, as it would motivate people, instead of chasing them away with just threatening them with divine rules of map submission.

I assume I have been one of few who made react of this thread :/
I know the game now to be honest, things changed. When I was in the old days, I almost never mention anything with the bb codes or such to help making better description. Though I remember well I promote Kael's Description Generator for a while.
It's good if user A said it with no guidance, then user B adds the guidance, then user C gives an alternative of the guidance.
Ex below :
Fallen Mage said:
You must improve your description! It's unacceptable at the moment, as said in the rules!
General Daffa said:
As said by Fallen Mage, here's some suggestions : *link to BB Codes* *link to Map Desc Tutorial*
Daffa the Mage said:
from both above posts, I suggest an alternative *link to Map Desc Generator*

Level 21
Usually I see people simply saying "Fix your map description", "Use bb codes" while others give links to tutorials or otherwise so I feel I should intervene as a map reviewer and tell him the risks of doing some actions e.g rejection (so obvious that a few times nobody says it), posting on someone else's behalf without proof of permission, what rules he is breaking exactly etc...

It's the classic tradition that MUST be eliminated.
Anyway, early half of my last post was made with dizziness, so mind the confusing words there.

Anyway, a specification of broken rule(s), how to fix them and so on in one post is good for guiding users. Don't say it will be rejected but make somehow it feels should be done without causing fear.

Level 30
I'd say that rejection to a resource is normally fine, its common to have that experience to any of us, no matter how much a user has reached closed-perfection of its art, it will still have chances of getting rejected.

I've been browsing all of the rejected/awaiting update maps from certain users lately, and to overall the database I have covered, there is a huge percentage that those users are in the year 2012-2015, and as I can say that I'm correct, the only activity they have done in this forum is just upload the map. Like what I said earlier, those users are mostly guests, some are very new, and most have slow understanding to the complexity of the said rules.

I still appreciate what you guys can still say on a specific map that has no description, but let's take our operation of cleaning the pending section, unsullied.

I assume I have been one of few who made react of this thread :/
Sorry Daffa, my affiliation to the topic is to not point a finger on someone who is willing to comment on their behalf, but on how all of us can at least show proper sense that was already been given without repeating close-case remarks, this also includes me.

Sorry Daffa, my affiliation to the topic is to not point a finger on someone who is willing to comment on their behalf, but on how all of us can at least show proper sense that was already been given without repeating close-case remarks, this also includes me.
No worries, I'm very okay and fine with the thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.