• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map unprotection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Posted by Wolverabid

Two primary reasons that most of us prefer not to protect maps are:
  • No one can learn about triggers (or any other included content) if a map is protected. Users (especially newbies) are faced with that dilemma every day.
  • It's very difficult for our Map Resource Moderators to evaluate submissions of protected maps. I wont even consider downloading and testing such maps unless the author personally asks me to. When I get my hands on one that is protected and crashes my WE AND the author DID NOT make a note of it in the public Author's Description field, I usually move that map to the Ignored category.

I foudn this post somewhere.....and I agree withh the reasoning behind it. So why is map un-protection so taboo here? I'm not challenging the rules or trying to change them or anything, I just want to know why.

Level 32
Intellectual property rights must be protected for all authors at all times.

Each resource author has the right to protect his or her own creation(s) from the scurvy pirates who will steal anything, from anyone, at any time.

The Hive Workshop will under no circumstances condone, encourage, help, or support any unscrupulous person who might wish to hack into a resource that has been protected by its creator.

Level 26
You don't steal from a man who doesn't give to charity.

There's doing something uncondoned, and then there's just plain disrespecting a person's wishes. Like I've said before in chat, it's like pissing on a person who pissed on the sidewalk. It's still immoral.

Status
Not open for further replies.