• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A software/ applications workshop somewhere out in the Net ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Does anyone know whether there is an application workshop somewhere on the Internet creating simple applications for free ?

There are a quite a few handy applications I would like to receive, but I don't know where I should ask for, since Hive does not offer something like a tool creation workshop.

They would be simple, like adding ( the Warcraft 3) borders and background around custom text ( doing this properly in a 2D program is difficult and a tool would allow to add any kind of borders, if extended), for example.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oh, thanks for making me aware of this, I think I have to close my 2D workshop now where we help other users of Hive with 2D creation for free

Good question. I am not aware of any site that specifically does requests. Almost all coding sites go like this:
(1) you have some starting code with some problem
(2) people give you suggestions on the problem

Why aren't requests popular? I'm not sure. If it is a really simple request (e.g. parsing a file), people can do it easy-peasy. But in general, programming is so diverse in terms of language selection, targets, functionality, etc. I think that is why requests are less popular and people generally won't respond to them.

It might also have to do with time + investment. That's why model requests are rarely completed as well, unless they are very simple edits.

If you have an idea in mind, feel free to toss it up in the air and see if someone can complete it. At least 50% of the time, there is already a tool or process to do what you need to get done!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, yes, I understand.
I think it is a shame though.

Well, my ideas, I have basically two main ones, but I am not able in any way to help realising it, beside creating some required 2D stuff:

1. An exporter for Blender, allowing users of Blender to create Warcraft models/ exporting models to .mdx

I already asked a bit around, it seems users being able to create such a program do not see a greater use in it, since Blender is not a modelling tool used by a majority.
An exporter for only geosets though would be very useful, even if it is not for many users, as its realization is not difficult, as I heard.

---

2. A simple tool with which you can add custom text ( with hex-codes) in a text field and you get a printed Warcraft tooltip from it.
I can create the background layers, but I would need someone coding the tool.
Additionally, this could be extended, allowing to add/choose custom borders and backgrounds, too, which would not only allow to easily create custom tooltips for map and resource threads, but also an easy creation of custom interface tooltips.

That's basically. The first one isn't that important to me, but I would be very glad and grateful about the second one and I am sure not only I would be.
A tool to efficiently create material for custom interfaces or a simple one only printing Warcraft tooltips, both would be great and I can do with everything related to the picture/border/background/2D creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.