• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A quick word about reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
It has come to the staff's attention that the amount of reputation used to "cancel" negative reputation and/or "encourage" banned users has grown to ridiculous proportions lately. The reputation system is intended to be a bit of a tool for determining the actual community reputation of a user and also a fun forum feature, but this crosses the line into blatant abuse and frivolity.

We'll be cracking down on such action and punishing all parties involved by at the minimum the reversal of such reputation as well as additional loss, and possibly worse if a user refuses to stop or otherwise repeatedly blatantly abuses the system.

There is obviously no way that it can be set in stone--wording-wise, at least--what defines abuse (and attempting to often opens a number of needless loopholes), but I think everyone has a good idea of what it means in their mind and I hope that they are not stupid enough to push it.

That will be all.

Level 9
Glad that this thread is on, the intentions of using reputation can get carried away, just like I did. I guess I will be on track now, and intending to be fun is actually a serious thing for the determination of its usefulness of the user. Its simply easy to get carried away, but snapping off the hook is a way to focus.

Level 12
I was thinking of this coming up sooner or later...
And i agree with Mechanical Man. Removing ability to give rep and unable to get any rep is better punishment than ban.

Level 9
Why not just remove the ability to rep for people who abuse it? This way banning of MasterHaosis wouldn't be necessary for example.

I would agree, definitely but it would wear off the users interesting thoughts of The Hive Workshop. Some users take reputation as a fun game anyways, which in my perspective isn't.

I was thinking of this coming up sooner or later...
And i agree with Mechanical Man. Removing ability to give rep and unable to get any rep is better punishment than ban.

Agreed, would give a second chance unless the user further trolled or took negative actions or such; I have also mentioned above, "they may lose interest", however their passion lies within the Hive anyway.

Why not just not get banned for abusing reputation so grossly?
I agree with the other points, I'm sure the banning rank has been created for a reason. It could be used in more extreme cases, such as negative actions or as such, or spamming or hacking etc... Reputation is most likely a game to them unless you teach them what the concept is about, and so on...

Level 13
I've always seen +rep as sort of a fun factor, and i hate people which judge others on rep. I've never abused it tho, as i think thats just too silly.
On another note: Why dont you write some news about the 403 error which lately has caused a lot of problems around the site? I even have it myself, and its getting kind of annoying.

Btw i see you changed the look of some rep points XD (nice)

Level 19
People give rep+ because they don't think those persons have done anything where you actually can be banned for, in their opinion..
Meh, you can't change opinions of people. Just do the only very necessary punishments, and disable rep..

Level 14
The point of the reputation system is, first and foremost, fun. That point alone makes it imperative that anyone can "give" reputation, otherwise the system is pretty pointless. Oftentimes, especially for private ventures, the staff will not know that X user has helped Y user and that Y user deserves rep. If the staff had to handle all reputation givings, it'd be effectively harassment on top of their own workloads across the site. The way reputation is currently is the only way it functionally "works."

That aside, people suck and will go to extreme lengths to take advantage of happy things. That is why this thread exists and that is why this warning goes out. I've been scouring a lot of accounts lately and making note of them in Admin Contact when I notice any reputation abuse going on. If you want to really contribute to the site and help the staff out with this problem, then you should do the same, but also make an effort to only give out reputation when it really is merited. Try to make reputation mean more than a random number based on popularity. It isn't that hard and has been done in other places than the Hive, so it can be done here.

Level 3
I couldn't agree more, Rising_Dusk, however it's easier said then done. Lets take this line by line.
The point of the reputation system is, first and foremost, fun.
Reputation doesn't (Or shouldn't) mean anything to a user. Obviously, in that case, it would contribute to fun factor. The problem is, if it is only for fun, then why does the staff make a big deal out of it?
That point alone makes it imperative that anyone can "give" reputation, otherwise the system is pretty pointless.
I agree with this statement, however; anyway you look at it, reputation is a privilege; a privilege that not every user deserves.
Oftentimes, especially for private ventures, the staff will not know that X user has helped Y user and that Y user deserves rep.
"Deserve"? I thought this was a fun factor?
Anyway, if a user "deserves" reputation, then why would the staff need notification of this action?
If the staff had to handle all reputation givings, it'd be effectively harassment on top of their own workloads across the site.
But they don't have to, that's my (an probably everyone else's) point.
The way reputation is currently is the only way it functionally "works."
The reputation system only works because the staff says so. Lets face it, no one cares about reputation, it's normal. If I rep someone for what I think is a good job a handling something, I will no doubt have a moderator up my ass because I repped someone for what they thought was flaming. It has now become a system of their standards. Isn't very easy to not care at this point.
That aside, people suck and will go to extreme lengths to take advantage of happy things.
I agree
That is why this thread exists and that is why this warning goes out.
This is where I have a problem, and this happens a lot. Why should everyone be warned or punished, when we can just smite down the gits messing it up for everyone else? Reputation is a privilege.
I've been scouring a lot of accounts lately and making note of them in Admin Contact when I notice any reputation abuse going on.
Good for you. I'm here for warcraft modding, not wast hours a day looking for so called "abuses" in something that's supposed to be "for fun"
If you want to really contribute to the site and help the staff out with this problem, then you should do the same, but also make an effort to only give out reputation when it really is merited.
Here we go with the "deserve" again.
Try to make reputation mean more than a random number based on popularity.
Does it even mean that?
Let me ask you this, what exactly is the point of reputation? People really only care because the staff bitches when we try not to.
It isn't that hard and has been done in other places than the Hive, so it can be done here.
Care to give examples of these "places"?
Reputation is a system that should not impact the functionality of this site. It only matters because the staff makes threads like this, and bitches at us when we do try to have a little fun with it.

Reactions: Orc
Level 12
While i agree almost completly with General Anon, i would like to have a word about the thingy about the staff-check reputation giving.
If staff would need to check every reputation people gives, we would have like 70 reputation moderators hired. That wouldnt make any sense at all, dont you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.