• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reputation Enabled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
trust me... i dont think so, you think they are being rude? pm them or report the post or tell a mod/admin via pm. The mods and admins use the neg rep as a Warning system, and if worse comes to worse the infraction button :)

i agree with werewulf.

people shouldnt be unecassary over the internet.
its called netiquite or something.
50s good. it shows who the 'better' people are.

Level 13
Exactly as has been said above. Users are not mature enough to handle negative reputation without abusing the system. It will turn into little wars, one person neg reps the other neg reps back etc etc. Not a good idea at all.

I agree that most users would abuse the system if it were returned. Its best this way, 50 shows that the user is responsible enough to be able to rep other users. The only thing that worries me is the contest forum, and how for winning just a single contest, a user who is completely new to the site would be able rep other users.
Just because you're good at world editor or modeling/skinning doesnt mean you're responsible when it comes to repping other users. I also think that raising the necessary post count would prevent this, but as a result the players who do win the contests may begin spamming, which causes a new problem.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

True, but the 50 rep rule doesn't mean that those users can neg rep, only positive rep, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Level 8
Well, one thing about reputation, is that people tend to take it far too seriously. They whine and cuss at you for negatively repping them, when honestly all it is is a comment. They take it too seriously, because it's kind of considered a form of ranking on these forums. I consider it a commenting system, and I give it out in that fashion.

My suggestion would be to create something else, for example Forum Gold, that they can focus on, since it seems like a lot of people seem to be obsessed with getting reputation.

Level 9
50 rep sounds good to me...
i think this site needs the rep system...
Just my oppinion...

Level 36
Every user is able of giving rep. However, the rep is not worth anything, that's why it appears as skulls, etc. The purpose of this is so you can still leave comments and use the rep system as such, but the rep isn't actually worth anything until you have more then 50 rep yourself.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Then why not leave it as that? A comment system? So you can check on occasion and see what people think of you.

Of course for contests and such you would only get the award icon, but that speaks for itself.

Having it just a comment system lets you know what people think of you, but doesn't leave the "rep race" of people trying to get as much rep as they can to look better than other users.

Level 36
It is alright the way it is... so far... because right now the only way you can get rep is from someone semi-trustworthy and those types of people usually only give rep if they've earned it anyway... but to eliminate rep altogether would get rid of one more barrier between users, staff, everyone... it doesn't matter to me, either way, with rep the way it is now, or without, it seems to be alright.

Level 6
i fully agree with a reputation cap.

i would add a suggestion that many of you will find silly - prohibit (or verbally discourage) public anounciation of repping in posts... on thehelper many guys make a new post just to say they've repped the thread author. quite irritating - 5 cm of the thread page wasted for each "gj! +rep" post or even worse: "great job man - i'd rep you but i dont know how"...

although, 50rep cap could fix that to some degree...

Level 8
Well. As long as this thread has been revived, I may as well ask. Is there some way I can see all the recent rep given out? Because, I've been checking the profiles of a few helpful members now and then, and there hasn't been much of this promised "help to get their rep up."

Level 32
For the most part, the accumulation of reputation by users is a very slow process. I try to award reputation to (at least) one person per day. I keep my OWN record of the points that I have awarded. Of course, everyone is different in regards to exactly how they spread rep around the site.

To the best of my knowledge, no such "recent" list exists: one must look at a specific user's information page to see their upward progress.

I may soon create a new topic on reputation to define it for our new users and outline some differing philosophies and strategies on this subject.

Level 36
Yeah, you can't see the entire reputation that you've recieved either, only the most recent ones... which kind of sucks, but regardless... and anyway, people don't create a new post here, if they are going to rep someone, they do it without letting the world know, or they add at the end of their post "+rep".

Status
Not open for further replies.