• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A new kind of TD - Blighted Twilight TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I intend to create a new and different TD called Blighted Twilight.
By different I mean stuff that has "quality" written on it, like Gem TD, eeveTD, YouTD, Sprout TD and FuZors TD. Games that attempt to introduce a new and fun element to expand the genre, rather that breaking away from it.

The angle I wish to take is:
1) Blight - random buildable terrain (through blighted tiles) with tactical manipulation/expansion of buildable terrain. Something similar was attempted by geX in his The Abyss TD, where you could expand to new islands thus gaining new buildable ground, but the project is dead.

2) Visibility - Constricted visibility for units adds a claustrophobic feel to a TD and introduces a new dimension to TD gameplay - need to place light-producing structures to provide visibility for attacking towers.

Additionally, I loathe Green TD and all it's ilk. I want a dynamic TD, like the original in Frozen Throne bloodelf campaign, but rather than focusing on heroes, I want players to sweat. I want their fingers to hurt and their brains to swell. I want them to put in effort rather than watching their imbalanced towers kill helpless creeps. I would achieve that by making towers break down (need constant repairs) and give incentives to sell/replace the towers.

In summary, BT-TD will have:
-Changeable terrain - tactical tower building + novelty factor
-Visibility manipulation via torches, scouts, crystals etc.
-Tower maintanance (structures break down from working)
-3 player teams
-Numerous builders with particular skills
-Code system
-Battle elements - ability to call more creeps for Everyone
-Custom resources (limited more damaging/elemental shots for towers)

Perhaps this has been done before/is impossible?

Tell me what you think, maybe I am missing something vital for a good TD?

Level 6
I think that this is an awesome idea. I've also been trying to find some TDs that don't just have towers and creeps ( /brofist for gex maps :3 ), but yea almost all you see is green td, circle td etc.

2 ideas that I really think a good TD should have :

- Creeps that interact with towers, which is why I loved eeve!TD and a few other maps on THW. Maybe they can even attack towers or somehow deal damage to them.

- Creeps don't spawn in monotone waves. For example, 25 footmen is boring. Make it 10 footmen, 8 riflemen, 2 knights and 5 mortar teams. Footmen and knights can be tanky, riflemen and mortar teams deal damage to towers.

But yea, the FoW and blight concept is a really nice one. A TD like this would certainly be refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.