A Ladder of Hero Abilities [Triggers] - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi,
This page has been newly updated: 26-10-2015

For my ORPG I am trying to create a summoner.

The minions he summons scales with the amount of intelligence and HP the caster has.
1: Can you confiquire the total amount of HP the summoned minion has?
2: I am trying to skip the MUI part, since I am a lazy ass. Can you set the level of the summoned unit equal to 1 level per 100 intelligence? And then make the minion somehow deal more damage equal to its level, by not having to make complex attack damage increase triggers?
3: How does the Gameplay Constants > Hero XP and Hero XP Gained work? I'd like to make max level 50. But how do I make heroes not gain 3 levels by killing a level 40 creep unit? If they are level 1 it is ok to gain massive exp, but while they are level 40 themselves, I would like them to gain like 5% of their total exp. Somehow balanced you know.

Last edited:
Level 13
Although you can use Channel as the backbone of any ability, i prefer to use:

Finger of Death for single target that has no stun/interrupt (good for friendly cast)
Storm Bolt for single target that has a stun/interrupt
Infernal for any area ability

Just make sure that a single class doesn't have 2x Finger of Deaths for example

Hope that helps with some of the blanks you have :)

Level 8

Finger of Death for single target that has no stun/interrupt (good for friendly cast)

Oh ye, I actually had a problem with single target dmg abilities that didnt have buffs.. Forgot all about finger of death :O thx

Level 8

How do you avoid inferno spell summoning an infernal?
And how do I avoid it to affect trees? It knocks all trees down, can't I go around that?

Last edited:
Level 11
Could you tell me how you made the wolfs damage scale with the int of the shaman?

Also about the inferno spell: Idk for the trees but to avoid summoning one just set the unit time to 0.01 and/or make a custom unit that has no model and make it stay for 0.01 seconds too.

Level 13
Could you tell me how you made the wolfs damage scale with the int of the shaman?

Also about the inferno spell: Idk for the trees but to avoid summoning one just set the unit time to 0.01 and/or make a custom unit that has no model and make it stay for 0.01 seconds too.

I've used a number of ways to make summons scale with stats, they might not be straight forward or efficient, but they work:

Summon Health:
- (Not great) Add a hit point bonus ability to the target, but because the level of this can't be changed by triggers, you'll need to make several copies of the ability and add it to the summons as they're created. (E.g. If caster has 20 intelligence, add 200 hit point ability to summon)
- Use Tomes of Health, this method works, but you want to be restrictive on how you trigger it. All you need to do is give your summon an inventory, then give it X number of manuals of health that give X amount, and then remove the inventory.
E.g. If you want your summon to have 10 hit points for every 1 intelligence, this method may get laggy, but if you did 50 hit points for every 5 intelligence, it becomes a stable and more usable.
- Upgrades. The problem with upgrades is that they can't be unlearnt, so if your Hero has 50 intelligence, picks up a +50 intelligence item, and suddenly the summons have +1000 HP (10 per intelligence), and they drop the +50 intelligence items, they'll be stuck like the caster has 100 intelligence.

I tend to use the Tomes of Health option in a controlled way (typically every 8 stat gives 100 hit points).

FOR DAMAGE:
- Add a Bonus Damage ability to your summon and set its level based on the caster's intelligence. E.g. if you create a Feral Spirit and the Caster has 20 intelligence, you can set the level of the Bonus Damage ability to +20.
- Same with Manuals of Health, but instead Tomes of Combat. These permanently add damage to units.
- Upgrades. Same as above. A good, lag-free method, but irreversible.
- Damage Detection System. This is probably the best method to use; though it can be hard to get working. In my works, you frequently measure the attributes of your heroes, and when the summons deal damage, you can recall the Hero attribute and modify the damage done (e.g. make your summons deal 1x intelligence per swing). The only gimmick is the damage your summon does will not match the damage display on the unit's interface.

I tend to use the Bonus Damage ability but in a restricted manner, e.g. every 1 level of the Bonus Damage ability gives 8 damage, and every 8 points of stat gives 1 level of Bonus Damage.

Infernal doesn't destroy trees if you remove the trees from targets, and you can replace the Infernal with a dummy unit with locust, set its duration to 0.01 and impact delay to 0.

Level 8
I've used a number of ways to make summons scale with stats, they might not be straight forward or efficient, but they work:

Summon Health:
- (Not great) Add a hit point bonus ability to the target, but because the level of this can't be changed by triggers, you'll need to make several copies of the ability and add it to the summons as they're created. (E.g. If caster has 20 intelligence, add 200 hit point ability to summon)
- Use Tomes of Health, this method works, but you want to be restrictive on how you trigger it. All you need to do is give your summon an inventory, then give it X number of manuals of health that give X amount, and then remove the inventory.
E.g. If you want your summon to have 10 hit points for every 1 intelligence, this method may get laggy, but if you did 50 hit points for every 5 intelligence, it becomes a stable and more usable.
- Upgrades. The problem with upgrades is that they can't be unlearnt, so if your Hero has 50 intelligence, picks up a +50 intelligence item, and suddenly the summons have +1000 HP (10 per intelligence), and they drop the +50 intelligence items, they'll be stuck like the caster has 100 intelligence.

I tend to use the Tomes of Health option in a controlled way (typically every 8 stat gives 100 hit points).

FOR DAMAGE:
- Add a Bonus Damage ability to your summon and set its level based on the caster's intelligence. E.g. if you create a Feral Spirit and the Caster has 20 intelligence, you can set the level of the Bonus Damage ability to +20.
- Same with Manuals of Health, but instead Tomes of Combat. These permanently add damage to units.
- Upgrades. Same as above. A good, lag-free method, but irreversible.
- Damage Detection System. This is probably the best method to use; though it can be hard to get working. In my works, you frequently measure the attributes of your heroes, and when the summons deal damage, you can recall the Hero attribute and modify the damage done (e.g. make your summons deal 1x intelligence per swing). The only gimmick is the damage your summon does will not match the damage display on the unit's interface.

I tend to use the Bonus Damage ability but in a restricted manner, e.g. every 1 level of the Bonus Damage ability gives 8 damage, and every 8 points of stat gives 1 level of Bonus Damage.

Infernal doesn't destroy trees if you remove the trees from targets, and you can replace the Infernal with a dummy unit with locust, set its duration to 0.01 and impact delay to 0.

Would you have a solution for the tree destroying part? :eek:

Level 8
Read the bottom of my post; just set targets to anything that isn't a tree, should work (unless I make my trees indestructible by habit). Worst case use Channel - only takes a min to configure and works well.

Oh didn't see.
I've put it to be Alive, Dead, Enemy, Ground, Mechanical, Neutral, Not self, Organic, Player Units.
But it still destroys trees.

Level 8
My bad, looked at one of the maps where i base on infernal a lot and indeed made the trees indestructible. You should use Channel on spells where tree destroying is undesirable.

I just went ahead and made a trigger. Made all doodads in the map invulnerable. ^^

Level 13
Hi everyone,

I am making this Locust Swarm ability.
I have copy/pasted the locust unit and made the unit model Storm Hammer ability.
But for some reason when I cast the ability, the Storm Hammers just stack just above the Hero.
The original ability spreads around the locusts.. I don't really get what is happening.

Your storm hammers must have the locust ability otherwise they will not behave as locusts.

Status
Not open for further replies.