• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Footman's Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11

A Footman's Tale
A work in progress by Chizume and Brombie

[On Break]

Introduction
A Footman's Tale is a Role Playing Game like no other seen on The Hive. We aim for the simple. No epic battles showing off your strength here no - here you must use your mental and social skills to progress. The map is divided into three acts where each act has a main plot, but with many optional sidesteps. You can always go back to the act before and pay a visit by your old friends.

Status
██████████ Act I
██████████ Act II
█████████ Act III
An approximate estimation of how far we have come with each act.

Brombie, our beloved terrainer is currently working and saving money for his new computer (old one is apparently very slow). I hope he will get into the project again, and World Editing in general, once he gets his hands on it.

In the meantime I thought I would share the ToDo-list I wrote today. Note that the list only covers Act I.

ToDo:
  • Choose and place characters.
  • Quests and their 'rewards'.
  • Additional indoor terrain.
  • Finalizing touches on outdoor terrain.
  • Miscellaneous functionality triggers.
  • (Record introduction + create short cinematic).
  • Alpha-testing night.
Yours Sincerely,
Chizume
It has been a while. No need to talk about it - life you know. The inspiration for this project is rising once again, which is lovely because I absolutely adore this concept.

The terrain is still in focus, but primarily Act I. Also more quest ideas are to be added. You may have noticed the new headline for quests below. Since there will be plenty minor quests they are published here for now to keep track of them and share some information with you. Characters are also being created and placed in the world - along with their background stories and relationships to each other.

Yours Sincerely,
Chizume
The terrain is currently in center of attention. When most of it is done focus will change to triggering all units' unique movements, quests and relationships to the character. More updates are to come within short.

Yours Sincerely,
Chizume
Gameplay
The map will contain plenty of unique features we can assure have never been seen in Warcraft before.

The main character is a young man who wants to join the army and become a true footman. His background is currently being written and thought through. He will be using the male villager model - along with a custom skin which will be made by the texture designer. The character will rarely use real weapons. Instead he will equip himself with shoes, clothes and eventually a pick axe, or shovel.

To equip an item you won't just have to have it laying in your inventory. You must click it. The character has a certain amount of equipment slots. Which ones exactly are not sure yet, but most likely the main- and offhand, chest and boots. When an item is equipped different effects will be given to the character. For instance; if you equip the character with a pair of shoes he will be given a slight damage reduction and a minor movement speed increase. If you equip something in your hands, such as an axe - you will be given 2-3 abilities called something like Chop and Cut, or Slash, Slice and Stab if it was a sword. These abilities will all cost a little mana. The mana will regenerate quickly. Different attacks will have different effects upon impact. They will have base damage and effects, along with item, target and character stat specific ones.

The unit you control is not a Hero. He does not have stats nor an experience bar. Instead he will gain "Experience" as armor. Meaning, he does not have a standard attack ability, nor the standard damage reduction system. The damage reduction will be reused as a skill (without a set name at the moment) and is increased with experience. This skill is in percentage and will effect some things the character do. For example; the given percentage will be added upon the damage of an attack. It will also serve as bonus to luck and precision. The experience also, and perhaps primarily, work as a requirement for quests and items.

You will meet new characters throughout the game and you will build a unique relationship with them all. By doing their quests you gain their trust. The more friendly you are with someone the more quests this person will give you. Some may even sell and give you items, they are your pals. To get these quests and build these relationships you must do something called interacting. You target a friendly or neutral unit with the interact ability. This will put the attention of this unit on your character and you will be given information about your relationship to him/her and what quests or items he/she offers. Also merchants work in the same fashion - you must interact with them to bring up a menu of what you wish to purchase.

When a quest is complete you will be rewarded in increased relationship with the units involved as well as rewards, such as items, gold and experience.

These features may sound quite advanced and difficult to learn, but I assure you; they are not. No messy dialogs, multiboards nor spellbooks are used and most things are handled through the Interact ability.

Quests (New)
  • Letters of Modesty
    Cassidy is too embarrased to go back to Dale. Although she barely know you she entrust you with this letter. To gain her trust you must not lose it.
  • Buri's Empty Potion
    Buri wants you to visit Cassidy and ask her to refill his potion. Apparently he is hunting a fearsome beast.
Terrain
The screenshots are only of the terrain, all taken by Brombie, the motive varies. And keep in mind that it is game camera view.

Attachments

• AFTscrn01.png
    AFTscrn01.png
    570.8 KB · Views: 483
  • AFTscrn02.png
    AFTscrn02.png
    595.1 KB · Views: 473
  • AFTscrn03.png
    AFTscrn03.png
    588.6 KB · Views: 444
  • AFTscrn04.png
    AFTscrn04.png
    603.7 KB · Views: 505
  • AFTscrn05.png
    AFTscrn05.png
    588.1 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Level 11
This sounds really interesting.. I will love to keep track of this:p ohh... and Is it a Campaign sorta thing? Cause it sounds pritty mutch like a thing u need to use Campaign:p

Hey naitsirk,

I'm glad you like the sound of it! Hm, you're question is very good - we have asked ourselves the same. Discussion went like: "Should we make a Campaign out of it? Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no...". Anyhow, we ended up with a result. It will be an ordinary map, in single player. The acts as we call them are in fact made on the same map - and will be divided by terrain and different obstacles. When the time comes for a change of act the screen will fade out in black and a short cinematic will show.

Please feel free to ask as many questions about the mod as you'd like and we will inform you in the best way we can.

Yours Truly,
Princess Chizume

Level 5
I like the introduction of no epic battles and showing off of heroes. You are right, lots of maps sucks because of this 2 elements. From the screenshot, the terrain looks awesome. :) For the features, I suppose its not the main focus yet as it seems fairly simple now. However, explain more about the gameplay like is the footman a hero? Will he advance ranks and who is the main thing or person that they have to kill etc. Anyway, cheers and good luck on your map!

Level 11
I like the introduction of no epic battles and showing off of heroes. You are right, lots of maps sucks because of this 2 elements. From the screenshot, the terrain looks awesome. :) For the features, I suppose its not the main focus yet as it seems fairly simple now. However, explain more about the gameplay like is the footman a hero? Will he advance ranks and who is the main thing or person that they have to kill etc. Anyway, cheers and good luck on your map!

Greetings Dark Soul,

Thank you for your feedback. Yes I love the terrain a lot too, Brombie is indeed talented. On your request I updated the information about gameplay in the main post. I will quote it below. I hope I have given a wider vision of the map idea. I should add that there is not yet a set antagonist in the plot. Most likely this will be a humanoid; no freaky demon monster.

Yours Truly,
Princess Chizume

Gameplay
The map will consist of plenty of unique features never that we can assure have never been seen in Warcraft before.

The main character is a young man who wants to join the army and become a true footman. His background is currently being written and thought through. He will be using the male villager model - along with a custom skin which will be made by the texture designer. The character will rarely use real weapons. Instead he will equip himself with shoes, clothes and eventually a pick axe, or shovel.

To equip an item you won't just have to have it laying in your inventory. You must click it. The character has a certain amount of equipment slots. Which ones exactly are not sure yet, but most likely the main- and offhand, chest and boots. When an item is equipped different effects will be given to the character. For instance; if you equip the character with a pair of shoes he will be given a slight damage reduction and a minor movement speed increase. If you equip something in your hands, such as an axe - you will be given 2-3 abilities called something like Chop and Cut, or Slash, Slice and Stab if it was a sword. These abilities will all cost a little mana. The mana will regenerate quickly. Different attacks will have different effects upon impact. They will have base damage and effects, along with item, target and character stat specific ones.

The unit you control is not a Hero. He does not have stats nor an experience bar. Instead he will gain "Experience" as armor. Meaning, he does not have a standard attack ability, nor the standard damage reduction system. The damage reduction will be reused as a skill (without a set name at the moment) and is increased with experience. This skill is in percentage and will effect some things the character do. For example; the given percentage will be added upon the damage of an attack. It will also serve as bonus to luck and precision. The experience also, and perhaps primarily, work as a requirement for quests and items.

You will meet new characters throughout the game and you will build a unique relationship with them all. By doing their quests you gain their trust. The more friendly you are with someone the more quests this person will give you. Some may even sell and give you items, they are your pals. To get these quests and build these relationships you must do something called interacting. You target a friendly or neutral unit with the interact ability. This will put the attention of this unit on your character and you will be given information about your relationship to him/her and what quests or items he/she offers. Also merchants work in the same fashion - you must interact with them to bring up a menu of what you wish to purchase.

When a quest is complete you will be rewarded in increased relationship with the units involved as well as rewards, such as items, gold and experience.

These features may sound quite advanced and difficult to learn, but I assure you; they are not. No messy dialogs, multiboards nor spellbooks are used and most things are handled through the Interact ability.

Level 12
I like that its so special from any other RPG. When you normaly say I will make a RPG people thinks that its a RPG with hero and big battles in dungeons and such.
I really hope that this map will be finished! i cant wait
GL

Level 11
Am I right in thinking this is your first ever map? :O

Looks great so far, and keep up the good work! :)

Greetings CloudWolf,

It is the first map idea ever to be published online, yes. But in fact both I and Brombie have quite a long experience with Warcraft and the WE. No maps ever fully completed but many projects started. We thought it would be a cool idea to go online with it to get some feedback to keep up the spirit.

When you get compliments from CloudWolf, you know it looks good.
Hehe alright! Thank you for the compliment, or maybe more correctly; compliment through a compliment.

Yours Truly,
Princess Chizume

Level 6
Greetings,

The status of this project is currently on break, as written in the main post. This mean that we put it on the shelf for a short amount of time, until we are ready to go back to it. The main post has been updated with lesser informative candy. We intend to replace screenshots of the terrain as the continuing progress approach a finishing status.

Have a good modding!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.