• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Few Suggestions from a GUIer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
b4 anything, good morning/afternoon/evening.

I've played D3W a few days ago, and... I LOVED IT!

But, as a map maker, i saw a few things that may be improved:

- Orbs - Use units instead of itens to make the heal/mana/restoration orbs. These units would have Locust ability and should be ENEMIES of the players. Being unable to move, a attack range of 50 and a high Cast Point, you could make them "attack" the players, and when this happen, the orbs get killed and a trigger heal the "attacked unit"

- Inventory System - Instead of using ESC to trigger the Inventory Screen, use a dummy-hero, so that this way the players could access the screen pressing F2

- Runes System - Using the same system as the Inventory Screen, you could make a Runes Screen, showing all the skills the hero has, and a slot beneath any of them. When putting a rune on the skill (the same mechanics as equiping a item), the hero aquires a disabled spell book with Engineering upgrades, changing the skill to the runed version.

Well, that's it for now. Sorry for any grammar mistakes

Level 8
Hmm I like your idea with the orbs. I mean you cannot click on them that way, but you don't need their information anyway. And that would also remove collision and of course make it auto-pick-up-on-range.
Only problem is see there, is when a unit is at the almost exact point of the orb, so when clicking on the location you rather issue an "attack" order instead of walking to the rune. But that's really, really minor and people should adept to that anyway.

Level 17
The orb system, well, thats not my stuff.
And the inventory thing, why would you need to change Esc to F2 they are next to each other anyway? xD
Or we could just use both. I can agree that it might actually go faster and smoother to use F2.. But i would prefer something like... B... since i always have my thumb on the B button after four years of playing wow.. And they use B in diablo anyway :p
The only issue with that is that we would require to use one of the abillity spots just to have that bag shortcut.
Another idea would be to use the key 1 to enter the inventory.
You create a unit group shortcut on 1. And when you select the unit that is bound to that unit group, you enter the inventory.
There is many ways we could improve the way to enter the inventory.. we just need to find the best one :p

Level 2
Since the orbs are locusts, they are unclickable, a right-click to their location will be considered a move order.

And about the F2, it's not because of preferences: when i play with a char with spell books, like the wizard, closing the spell book with ESC will trigger the inventory too. To avoid this problem, why not using a dummy hero to show the F2 button as a option to the inventory screen?

Level 17
Since the orbs are locusts, they are unclickable, a right-click to their location will be considered a move order.

And about the F2, it's not because of preferences: when i play with a char with spell books, like the wizard, closing the spell book with ESC will trigger the inventory too. To avoid this problem, why not using a dummy hero to show the F2 button as a option to the inventory screen?

Or we could just use both. I can agree that it might actually go faster and smoother to use F2.. But i would prefer something like... B... since i always have my thumb on the B button after four years of playing wow.. And they use B in diablo anyway :p
The only issue with that is that we would require to use one of the abillity spots just to have that bag shortcut.
Another idea would be to use the key 1 to enter the inventory.
You create a unit group shortcut on 1. And when you select the unit that is bound to that unit group, you enter the inventory.
There is many ways we could improve the way to enter the inventory.. we just need to find the best one :p

All that is about how we can make it possible to to open inventory w/o using Esc.

Level 17
Just change your hotkey to something else by customising your wc3 keys.
I would take something like § insted of Esc as hotkey.
You can customise that in a text file in your wc3 map.
And if im not wrong, you can choose the hotkey for that aswell.

Level 2
Just change your hotkey to something else by customising your wc3 keys.

It's easier for everybody if you guys simply change the command... Besides, using the Functions keys is pretty better, because the players can SEE a button on the screen showing the Inventory Screen...

Level 17
It's easier for everybody if you guys simply change the command... Besides, using the Functions keys is pretty better, because the players can SEE a button on the screen showing the Inventory Screen...

read the entire thread first.. What i said was a temporary suggestion.
And that would be good even if you play this map or not, it is good for all maps that uses the cancel spell..
And i have another idea on how we could make an inventory BUTTON...
It is easy & awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.