• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Farmer's Life v1.22

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Hi, this is actually my FIRST map I have ever done, so I do need some feedback on it if you guys would not mind terribly! And, since many of you are going to notice this anyway, I have based my triggers off of Simple Living and Sheep Farmer. I did base the items off Simple Living and Sheep Farmer as well. I never copied ANYTHING except the items and units from Simple Living, as I had no idea how to make my own until later in the map, since I eventually had to make units for it. If I have screwed up really bad with the copy of units, I'll put the map aside and re-make all the units and items so it can be re-submitted. That put aside, heres some information about the map:
Medieval farming, which is always the best, there is a town with four farms spaced out around the rural area. You live on one of the farms, and you try to live and explore the map, trying out the different things you can do, which includes blacksmithing and sewing. Most of the game-play is included inside the Quests section. This map is NOT protected, custom scripted, virus infected, or anything like that. This map is for playing pleasure, and for people to learn from my triggers how to farm and create their own maps for various purposes. I did not protect the map because:
1) I had no idea how to
2) For others to learn
For others that helped me in the map:
-Acid9: My clan leader, he helped with reviews on the map and testing.
-Juudai-Panda: A Friend, she helped with (Well, completely did) the terrain, city, farm, -everything except the inside of the houses. (Well, she did the house.. the second floor.. merchant.. and barn... Everything else was me :D)
So please, rate the game fairly, if its a good rating, great! Give me a suggestion or two!
If its bad (damn) thats great! Give me the reason you did not score it high so I can fix the problems!

Version 1.15:
-Fixed a little bug that wouldn't allow the carpentry dialog to open

Version 1.16:
-Made it so when your peasant enters/leaves the camera follows
-Fixed the quests up a bit
-Fixed a couple dialog problems
-Added a dog who can defend you
-Also added an ally/unally command for more warlike gameplay
-Added a Tavern, where you may recruit some mercenaries for a price
-Increased the time of the backpack
-Added a tutorial at the beginning explaining how to tend crops, red may choose not to start this
-Added various bandit camps around the map, the bandits re-spawn after a minute or so and give one gold bounty

Version 1.17:
-Removed Ally/Unally
-Added two item gathering quests, one inside the Tavern, the other at the south-east corner of the city.
-Added a Wolf Den, bottom-left of the map (not including insides). There are quite a few wolves, it is difficult, so i would advise collected soups, meats, and some mercenaries before venturing inside. You will achieve a fair amount of gold after, as there are so many wolves.
-Added four wharf's, each one the closest it can be to each player, just for looks however, i might add a higher chance of success if for fishing on them later.
-Added a few new items
-Added a guard dog that starts off with you
-Added a 10 minute timer that during it, you can revive inside your house.
-Moved blues homestead to the other side of the river, so it is closer to city
-The little island on the southeast corner of the map is now available for entry, a wolf has been added upon it
-Fixed the tutorial, it now allows red to accept or un-accept the tutorial properly. (I assume red is not needed for game-play, but I am sure red is needed for tutorial watching)

Version 1.18
-Redid revive system, if you die you will revive at any time, but without the items you were carrying at that moment.
-Fixed guard dog's sound pattern
-Added another quest: Missing Eggs
-Added two new crops, Lettuce and Corn
-Every time you hoe, there is a 40% chance it will revert to normal short grass, as well as every 40 seconds every field will revert a tile to short grass again.
-Added new items
-Fixed a bug concerning the quests, you couldn't give the quest givers the items needed
-Added a text system, every time you do something that has a chance, if you fail, it will tell you that you failed.
-Instead of starting with potatos, you now start with Lettuce, it is much cheaper then potatos
-Added a Food page to the Merchant, you may now buy food, but with a one gold increase then what you can sell them for.
-Decreased all plant chances of planting by 10 percent, as i found you planted them too often
-Also, credit to Thick Armor for his crop terrain degeneration idea, thanks :D I added his name to the trigger that does this

Version 1.19
Ok i fucked up for 1.18, rushed a couple triggers and now i feel stupid for fucking them up
-Food Menu for Merchant has been fixed, works now
-Fixed the ploughing removals, the chance actually works now instead of always removing the tiles
-Fixed the Cooking Set abilities at last! Each ability works on its own now, they don't all use at once.
-As i felt retarded, i decided to add another vegetable to the game. Well fruit i suppose: Tomatoes have been added.
I plan to add some music to the game some time in the future.

Version 1.20
-Fixed bug that allowed units to walk through stone in the wolf den
-Also fixed an annoying bug that made the quest units movie in the city
-Added new feature: Prize Crops, small chance of receiving a prize crop every time you harvest
-Added new quest: Prize Crops, a unit inside the Market will give you a quest and every time you give him any prize crop, he will give you an item in return.. or maybe two..
-Added a Contest on behalf of some suggestions. Pick Ax Find, you must find a Pick Ax in a mine. It will explain in-game
-Changed the hunger system for the Peasant, he loses 1 hp every three seconds instead of 10 every thirty seconds.
As an extra, i added roads to each players wharf, for convenience

Version 1.21
-Fixed text issues with items, triggers, and such
-Changed planting spawning to building them, same with fires
-Added berry bushes throughout the map
-Added spade, you can dig for stones and gold, dig on normal dirt for it to have a chance of succeeding
-Changed life and mana of Peasant
-Increased the percentage of success for forging
-Added a experience system, for every successful thing you do, well almost every, you gain one experience.
-Changed experience needed for leveling.
-Fixed multitudes of bugs and some balancing issues
-Allowed fire kits to be made, the ability is now on your peasant describing how
I am now going to start making the second Farmers Life, the title will be different, i will continue to keep this as my main project however, and will continue to update it from your suggestions

Version 1.22
-Fixed multiple bugs concerning tooltips and text
-Changed the planting of plants to buildable buildings, not just spawned. Please don't plant near the edges of your field, could be a bug that removes them
-Added a watering system, its an interesting system. Once you plant something, wait until its mana is full, then you use a watering can (supplied at beginning) on it to make it grow to the next stage. Drop the watering can on a well to fill it back up
-I think I added a unit on the cross on the cathedral, not sure if it worked
-Fixed a bug that did not make it show the Failed Forging message
-Fixed the plant killing to upgrade it, both peasant and dog
-Fixed the well bug that didn't allow soups to be made
As an extra, in the mine for the pick ax quest, use Jump to get over the rocks

Keywords:
Farm, Farmers, Farming, TwentyThree
Contents

A Farmer's Life v1.22 (Map)

Reviews
09:36, 7th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 28
Yeah, erm... I've got a few questions about that xD
  1. The bigger the trigger, the more efficient - so a huge trigger may be confusing to the less experienced, but it's better (of course, a small, efficient trigger is also good).
  2. Should it be about something specific? Or any trigger at all is good?
  3. Should it be 1 trigger only? Or enough triggers for the idea?

Perhaps I'll join... triggers are my favourite part of mapping, so who knows... ^^
I haven't got anything else to do anyway >.> (beside modding maps).

Level 27
You know, since thats a bad idea. Keep your map for yourself, it will be much better. You already should know how to fix the leaks, and I'm sure that later or earlier you'll get your motivation back, then you can justt finish the map by fixing all the leaks and maybe tweaking few things, after what you'll be able to forget about your map forever.

Level 5
Dude. This map has the potential to be so great, do NOT give up on it.
You know what the problems are, right?
If I were you I'd just slowly work on removing the bugs one by one, take your time, etc.
Don't add any extra features, that would just make things even worse.

right
have the same problem with the cooked bass. sold 36 cooked bass in a bag for 1g
also you cant do anything with oats. you cant use it on the animals, you can use it to create an oat pile. they just do nothing
needs some sort of a pack mule. mercs cant carry farming tools and etc.
water can was cheaper to buy than to sell meaning you can buy and sell and get profit
hmm yeah. and i hated the ending

Level 6
Alright, I decided to actually stop the production of the map, though not because of another map, I just had this three week long burst of knowledge for map-making. But I do want the map to keep going, I wanted someone to continue updating and editing this map. But not anybody, from Wednesday the 16th, the day I write this, to Saturday the 26th, I will be holding a contest. Whoever wants to edit the map, I want you to think of the best idea you can, the BEST idea you can, then make the trigger for it. After you make it I want you to copy as text in here for everyone to see. I will judge it on a few things:
-Size (Longer is usually more confusing, so as short as you can)
-Idea (The idea of it, concerning its place in my map)
Anything else that is relevant to a good trigger. Add any information thats needed.
I will collect all the triggers on Saturday, anything after that I won't accept. I'll take the time needed for judging, the best one I find, might get the "rights" to the map.
I'm just more interested in playing the games now, not just making them :p

........were you serious?

anyways...
Mass Purging Template Version 4.0
Rejection

Reason for not approving:
The terrain was good for the most part.
The triggers made me cry.
The gameplay was meh.
oh and the triggers made me cry. (deja vu?)