• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] A better MDX editor ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
hi all!

i am learning to model the mdx files ...i want to build or modify some models

but the thing is ...one of the crucial aspects of modeling deals with vertices (those tiny red dots composing a model)

in Malgos's editor, its a veritable pain in the proverbial behind to manipulate the verices ...i.e. selecting them individually etc

also, the magos editor doesnt allow the user to freely move vertices, or rotate the model like in 3D Max

i was wondering ...is there any program out there that allows me to edit MDX models (vertices, textures etc) but in a much more advanced medium (think 3 D Studio Max from Autodesk ....where user has full freedom of manipulating the model)

i wanna be able to rotate, zoom in or out, pan in and out in a natural fashion, like i do in 3D Max !

basicly, i am looking for a advanced version of Magos, even if paid

thanks

TKF

TKF

Level 19
I tried to play around with modelling in the past a bit, another tool which is essential is vertex modify editor, but make sure you save often and keep a backup as this seems to sometimes save the changes even if you didn't save it

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/w3-vertexmodify-62928/

This along with magos editor is the free ones that I know of and makes you do most of the things you need to do.

I'm not sure if you can save it as mdl file instead of mdx format with any of those editors, since it can be opened by many other 3d editors. A modeller can give a better answer than me.

Level 12
MDLVis is waaaay better for actually changing the geometry/vertices/meshes/whatever of a model.

War3 Model Editor / Magos Model Editor is mostly for fine-tuning of textures and nodes which is something that's fairly difficult in MDLVis. It's best if you have both of those programs because they cover pretty much everything you'd need for WC3 models since they're so simple.

Link to MDLVis: Link

Status
Not open for further replies.