• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

2nd try, Outland Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
This is my 2nd terrain, I am a melee map maker, and I hope to be able to learn from the community ;)

My first enty was for "The Picture" and it didn't turn out so well, but I hopefully learned something from it.

OutlandPortal.png

• To Do
    • Fill in empty spaces
    • Find better rocks
    • Find better tiles
    • Clean up doodad placement
    • Whatever anyone suggests

If you are good at helping noobies please help ;P

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
All in all, the scenery isn't something I consider appealing - and while this is fairly subjective, I will assume most users would agree on this.

I'm also going to quote Keiji's judging from 'The Picture' to emphasise it.
Keiji said:
First suggestion; use more custom doodads. The normal wc3 rocks looks horrid compared to some of the better looking custom ones, as does that shrubbery you’re using, it simply just doesn’t look good. And don’t give me the “I wanted to create a wc3 feel” bullshit. This is Terrain Art, not a lookalike contest for an 8 years old game where when they didn’t have any better resources to work with.
This is a point you should seriously consider.
Your technique is definitely far from crap for a beginner, but these textures/models just aren't appealing enough.

Point here being, actually do consider the criticism you get and think about it for your next terrain.

Also, your doodad placement wasn't quite as good as your entry in the Picture.
The crystal for instance looks slightly awkward and messy due to overuse.

Keep it up though, don't let our criticism knock the will out of you.

Level 27
Don't put those crystals in front of the portal i can't see it :(

No really, why would you do that =p

Ehm, when using regular doodads you should really put them to use by making something hard out of them. You could always think that simple things can be beatiful too but it being to simple (1,5 hours work?) won't really work that well. Especially with scenery terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.