• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

2 *simple* questions (two custom abilities based on the same spell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
1. When used in a spell book, two custom abilities based off the same ability will will not 100% work properly (pressing one ability sometimes triggers the other ability). I'm pretty sure this has to do with the two custom based off the same one, but is there a way to fix this? Or can you recommend several instant-cast abilities (I like to base my instant-cast abilities off of wind walk)?

2. After the problem I encountered (in the above question), I tried basing my instant-cast abilities on several summoning abilities, but when i press an ability, the casting unit does an animation while my ability does what it's supposed to do. Is there a way to remove the animation? I tried deleting all the animation names on the custom ability, setting both the animation cast and animation cast back swing to 0, with no improvement.

HELP!? :p
Thank you in advance, guys.

Level 11
tried berserker? perhaps war stomp but i dont remember ... or thunder clap... but berserker is gonna work fine ... you can also try divine shield, but it is gonna make your unit invulnerable for a micro-seconds removing negative buffs

EDIT: no... you cant have 2 abilities based on the same ability on the same unit... the only ability that can do that is Channel but you gotta change the order ID to different ones

Level 21
1. When used in a spell book, two custom abilities based off the same ability will will not 100% work properly (pressing one ability sometimes triggers the other ability). I'm pretty sure this has to do with the two custom based off the same one, but is there a way to fix this? Or can you recommend several instant-cast abilities (I like to base my instant-cast abilities off of wind walk)?

It's not just with spellbooks. It's with spells in general: don't use the same ability twice on 1 unit.

As a base ability, always use "Channel". It's an ability that doesn't do anything but can be adapted to become a target spell, point spell or instant spell and thus is the perfect ability to be triggered.
It also has a field "Base Order ID" which should be different for each spell. Whenever a certain order is given, all abilities corresponding to this order are cast (and so 2 windwalk based abilities are cast at the same time). Channel contains a field "Base Order ID" that allows you to change that order.

Level 11
tried berserker? perhaps war stomp but i dont remember ... or thunder clap... but berserker is gonna work fine ... you can also try divine shield, but it is gonna make your unit invulnerable for a micro-seconds removing negative buffs

EDIT: no... you cant have 2 abilities based on the same ability on the same unit... the only ability that can do that is Channel but you gotta change the order ID to different ones

but you explained it a bit more :p

Last edited:
Level 2
Thank you Eleandor and darkstrider for the channel ability suggestion. I based my abilities off of the channel ability, changing their base order id to different ids and the abilities work perfectly.

I have other questions, but because I don't want to start a new thread (this thread is still rather new), I'll ask it here.

1. One of my abilities requires an item to be made and given to the triggering unit. The problem is, I can't seem to find a trigger action that allows the unit to actually get the made item into its inventory (I know how to create an item at the triggering unit's position). I've tried using giving an item to the unit with the hero trigger action, but it requires variables (after fumbling around with variables and items, it ended up not working). So, is there a way to get a created item into a unit's inventory through triggers? Also, the unit is NOT a hero.

2. Second, this question is related to upgrades/researches. In the object manager, under upgrades, I created my own custom dummy upgrade with two levels (no effect/buff). Is there a way to *unlock* an ability after the third research is completed (with or without triggers, but I want the ability icon to be there, just not usable (as in a non-clickable ability, if you get what I mean). I've tried using tech-tree, but all I see is the first research (level one). Also, I don't really want to create several dummy upgrades for each level (but I guess it's fine, if it's the only way).

Thanks guys, sorry for all these questions. I just have a lot of questions to ask because usually I try to do things myself, but these are the few things I can't seem to figure out and they're frustrating me. And I'm new to WE.

Thanks again! :]

Level 21
1. I know it's something like UnitAddItem in jass... Maybe there's an action like "Hero - give (last created item) to (unit) ?

2. So basically you want an ability to be unlocked after a research has reached a higher level? Similarly like a priest only gets inner fire after the priest master training was researched? Just add a level in the techtree requirements or look at the requirements of inner fire, bloodlust, polymorph, ...

Level 11
(with or without triggers, but I want the ability icon to be there, just not usable (as in a non-clickable ability, if you get what I mean)

well... you can always add a dummy evasion skill with 0% evasion just create an icon there to show whatever you wanna show... but i guess that eleandor's idea is better :p

btw: The name is DARKRIDER not strider...

Level 2
Thanks Eleandor, I think I tried the *Hero - Give Item* trigger action already, and it didn't work, but I'll look at it again. Ahhh, so that's what the level tech-tree is for :p

And thank you for your help too darkRIDER (sorry :p). I'll look into your way too :]

EDIT: Another question... sorry! :p I've tried adding a tech-tree research requirement to a spell book ability, but I don't think it worked. Is it possible? Or can only the abilities inside the spell book have tech-tree research requirements?

Last edited:
Level 2
Okay guys, thanks for all your help. I got the trigger to put an item in a unit's inventory to work, along with many others you guys have helped me in.

+Rep to Eleandor and darkRIDER for their help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.