1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

1.32.7 PATCH NOTES

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Storm Knight

Storm Knight

Resources:
    Resources:
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. Power107

Power107

Resources:
    Resources:
    Quake 2 shares characters, maps, and lore with Quake Champions but it doesn't cause any clashes. This also applies to the Gears of War franchise as it shares many assets and concepts with Unreal Tournament III.
    EDIT:
    looks like Gears Of War too much? - Unreal Tournament III Message Board for Xbox 360 - GameFAQs

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  3. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My personal disappointment comes from the fact that the last 6 months of patches perfectly prove what we've all been saying all this time: this game needed at least a year more in development, more staff, or both. And it's frustrating.

All their announcements run contrary to their actions. This isn't aggressive patching. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. There's no roadmap. There's nothing. It all boils down to "we're going to make it better, trust us, it's gonna be a great game, mmm yes". It's offensive.

There's no transparency. They don't share what roadblocks they encounter. We don't know what they're working on. We don't know what the next patch is going to be. We don't even know if they have multiple branches of development, or if this patch is everything they've managed to do this month. This complete lack of self-awareness, complete lack of understanding the importance of transparent communication, and everything else is infuriating. It's very disappointing to see one of my favourite games of all time to be opened up and then sewn back together to be yet another soulless, pointless, half-baked, half-arsed product of the endemic style of triple-A development. It sickens me. No amount of sugarcoating is going to fix that.

The problems aren't technical. They're corporate. And you can't fix corporate with any amount of patching.

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    :peasant-sad:
    q2.png qchamp.png

Also, Epic Games was involved in both Unreal Tournament and Gears of Wars series.

Yeah. At least that way the community could aid them...

5. Power107

Power107

Resources:
    Resources:
    Epic sold GoW to Microsoft for less than 100 million USD.
    And Quake 2 is open source while Quake Champions isn't.

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Being open source means having access to the programming part, not everything, from what I know.
    Then you have your answer. It's sold intellectual property, wholly. Also, Gears of War is not based on the Unreal Tournament universe, but only its engine, from what I know.

7. Power107

Power107

Resources:
    Resources:
    UT3 has a lot of stuff from GoW such as character concepts.
    Then how did Nvidia make Quake RTX? They had access to assets other than the code ofc

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's like saying StarCraft has a lot of inspiration from Alien, Warhammer, Star Wars...
    I see. Well, in that case, they cannot go beyond what Quake II is which means they cannot use anything in Quake II to make a new Quake game without legal rights.

"A remastered version of the game, titled Quake II RTX was announced by Nvidia on March 18, 2019[22] and was released on June 6, 2019 for Windows and Linux on Steam. This remastered version requires an Nvidia RTX GPU, as it has been developed to utilize these cards' hardware ray-tracing functionality.[23][24] The game, provided free of charge, includes the three levels present in the original Quake II demo, but can be used to play the full game if its data files are available.[25]"
    What advertising...

9. Power107

Power107

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is a huge difference between inspiration and reusing modified 3d art assets.
    There are concepts shared between Q2 and Quake Champions but it doesn't cause any clashes.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Do you know they were made by Epic Games and not sold to Microsoft?
    They could also be models bought from a platform that makes them for the Unreal Engine.

I see no issue here really unless there is obvious copyright infringement. As mentioned earlier, the rights were sold to Microsoft...

11. Power107

Power107

Resources:
    Resources:
    The whole GoW IP was sold to Microsoft, this [IP] includes character concepts. Still, this allows Epic to sell UT3 and Microsoft to sell GoW games, no clashes take place.
    So, you are accusing Epic of asset flipping?

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My dude. Is Epic Games allowed to make any other Gears of War games? I doubt the contract allows them to. Otherwise, it's something rather sophisticated and usually people don't want things to be too gray to avoid any legal issues.
    Selling previously made games is something else. But Epic Games can't sell any of the previous Gears of War games can they?
    Is that question just so you could prolong this off-topic discussion?

13. Power107

Power107

Resources:
    Resources:
    Only if Microsoft gives them permission. Still, it doesn't cause clashes with UT3.
    Using models from Unreal Engine Marketplace is asset flipping.
    Yes, they cant sell as they aren't selling GoW games on the Epic Games Store. Also, I don't remember any GoW references in Fortnite.
    EDIT:
    That is hypocritical as you said that before:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  14. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm getting way off topic here, but anyway. I've read an article about Reforged like in November or so, and been trying to find it again today, but failed miserably, think it was PC gamer or GameInformer, but not sure. It asks the question why are RTSs dead nowadays. And says it's because StarCraft (and Warcraft to a lesser extent) basically annihilated the competition. And they said that RTS died the day StarCraft II was announced, cause the competition stoped making RTS cause they new that nothing they do could compete with StarCraft. And that's why once StarCraft II died of old age, well there was no RTS alternative to play, and RTS were forgoten.

So it comes as a paradox. Blizzard annihilating Warcraft III, cause RTS is a dead genre and there's no point to invest funds, team and love into Reforged. When Blizzard is the one "responsible" for RTS dying in the first place.

15. GetLocalPlayer

GetLocalPlayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't know. At least a sign, a little hint that they're at least planning to make map makers' lives easier. I do understand that Blizzard did almost nothing for them for those fifteen years (syntax highlight, extended editor, compilers and many other things were made by fans, not by Blizzard), but let us know if there are any plans to compensate at least something of it.

16. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Amazing patch! 10/10! Sure will wait again for another month! These recent patches are giving me more and more time to play other games while waiting for a 'proper' patch. Hopefully I'm still alive next year to witness those things they promised months ago, like the new features and those features from the classic they wanted to bring back.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True Reforged

18. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    for sure!
    Just imagine, if there are no players, you don't have to waste your time on modding. They've made mapmakers live so much easier!

19. Raven80

Raven80

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont see custom campaings as an option in reforged, same with classic, game is still dead to me :/

20. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm taking the unpopular opinion saying that im happy they found and fixed a desync issue. Its good they are focusing on getting the game into a more stable state before adding new features.

I just wished they were faster doing so. A lot faster.

Here I am playing the shit out of Command and Conquer Remastered. A remaster actually worthy of the title.
    Its weird to see EA, a company known for butchering game studios actually honor their legacy franchises more than Blizzard entertainment, a company formerly known for their customer loyalty.