• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

1.32.4 PATCH NOTES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Which tells us one thing - Reforged wasn't a financial success, because if it was then they would have obviously mentioned it. Not really surpising. The only question is did the game lose Blizzard money or if it made so little that it wasn't worth talking about.
In my opinion, in it's current state and situation, it's irrelevant. But in the long run? Not only will it cost Blizzard money, but even more important, reputation. So yeah, they're covering it up as best as possible, since imo they're very well aware.

Level 12
If that is the case, and this game is a financial disaster, is there any way they'll at least stick to it and improve rather than dumping it into a trash bin? Last option would be to reverse back to classic Warcraft III just like it was before they decided to cause all this tantrum.

Level 9
It was actually a great success back in 2015 and 2016.
HotS was meant to rival LoL and kill Dota 2. It made billions of dollars less than it should have.
If that is the case, and this game is a financial disaster, is there any way they'll at least stick to it and improve rather than dumping it into a trash bin?
This is why I mentioned it here if its a loss or financial failure then it's very unlikely they will maintain the game.
Look what happened with sc2 and hots.

Level 20
in it's current state and situation, it's irrelevant
I think it's pretty irrelevant period. It's pretty obvious at this point that Reforged was a small side project - it wasn't meant to make a lot of money either now of through ongoing monetization, so it's failure isn't going to be a serious issue to Blizzard's bottom line.

As for their reputation... WoW and HS are supposedly doing really well, probably due to the latter getting an expansion and the former a new patch plus some community buffs. Either way, if there was to be some financial backlash or boycott due to Reforged, it likely would have been visible by now, primarily in WoW's and HS's earnings in Q1. Seeing as how that's not the case, I think the reality is that the vast majority of people who were disappointed with the game just refunded and moved on.

is there any way they'll at least stick to it and improve rather than dumping it into a trash bin
My guess is the game will slowly get patched until it's somewhat "okay", i.e. it gets all the missing features back, bugs get fixed, stability is improved and maybe a couple of quality of life improvements, smaller features or some general polish gets thrown in as well. But that's it, i.e. if you're hoping for some big additions or new content - no, I do not think there's any chance for that.

Level 16
I think it's pretty irrelevant period. It's pretty obvious at this point that Reforged was a small side project - it wasn't meant to make a lot of money either now of through ongoing monetization, so it's failure isn't going to be a serious issue to Blizzard's bottom line.
As for their reputation... WoW and HS are supposedly doing really well, probably due to the latter getting an expansion and the former a new patch plus some community buffs.
Either way, if there was to be some financial backlash or boycott due to Reforged, it likely would have been visible by now, primarily in WoW's and HS's earnings in Q1.
It sucks how much sense what you said makes, and it actually means that the situation will in no way improve for us war3 players. On the contrary, we'd be lucky to get a few 'patches' for a few 're-enabled' features, and that's it.

Level 13
My guess is the game will slowly get patched until it's somewhat "okay", i.e. it gets all the missing features back, bugs get fixed, stability is improved and maybe a couple of quality of life improvements, smaller features or some general polish gets thrown in as well. But that's it, i.e. if you're hoping for some big additions or new content - no, I do not think there's any chance for that.
Honestly, after seeing new Silvermoon and Dalaran, I don't really want them to do any new content. To me this scenario would be ideal, but again I'm not even sure if this statement is too optimistic or not.

Anyway, imo, the report doesn't show how Blizzard Entertainment is doing well, quite the opposite. It shows how Activision, studio of the same size, has almost tripple amount of MAUs, and thus I assume triple the profit. It also shows in what s**t state gaming is right now. With Activision-Blizzard, the most powerful company in the world when it comes to gaming industry, and it's most succesful studio not being Activision, not being Blizzard, but King. A studio that makes the most stupid mobile games ever. King's MAUs being almost double of Acctivision and Blizzard combined. And again King makes the most stupid games ever, Candy Crush, Pet Rescue, Farm Heroes, Bubble Witch. And Candy Crush is obviously the most successful game of the most powerful company in the world when it comes to gaming industry. I mean, I had Candy Crush instaled on my phone a few years ago, and I seriously think it's purpose is to turn children into r*t**ds. Seriously, I don't get it. After all why would anyone still play Candy Crush, when there are other games of the same type that are miles better in every way, like e.g Gardenscapes.
What I'm trying to say here, Blizzard is obviously not in a good spot, and Reforged surely ain't gonna help. It won't hurt them directly, but it ain't gonna help either, and as it seems Blizzard needs all the help it can get. The thing is WoW is going to surpass it's expectations and do well in the next two years no matter what, thanks to Classic, and TBC and WotLK that were all but confirmed with the Ashes of Outland. Basically for one monthly subscription you get to play two games de facto. We'll see how things are really going for WoW only once WotLK runs out of content. As for Hearthstone, well it's not in the same category, it's a stupid mobile game(currently Blizzard's only one), and considering how s**t gaming is now, well stupid mobile games do well no metter what.

Level 13
MAU numbers aren't really that important - what matters is how MAUs change.
Still, Blizz net review has fallen(sharply) compared to Q4 2019, maybe not as sharp as Activision but still, and considering Blizzard has the least net review of the three, that can't be good. What I'm getting here Reforged didn't help, if anything. (a little "light" in the darkness)

They have the highest stock values in whole 2019-2020 timeframe now without even a WoW expansion release due to corona bringing back alot of players, Reforged has no effect at all in that it is just a little fish but it is safe to say Blizzard is too lucky to have corona virus and has got a real jump compared to whole 2019 and that stocks going down trend since Blizzcon 2018 is broken for sure, does it mean anything for wc3? Nah it just means Reforged will remain burried cause it's failure did not have an effect at all thanks to corona covering up the all the loss they could have this quarter. TLDR; both Blizzard and Activision has recovered well from all the failures of last 2 years sadly. About King bringing most players and Activision being second, it was always like that mobile games and call of duty is another league it is just like NBA or Fifa, majority of whole pc\mobile\console users will always be willing to buy same product every year

Level 13
They have the highest stock values in whole 2019-2020 timeframe now without even a WoW expansion release due to corona bringing back alot of players, Reforged has no effect at all in that it is just a little fish but it is safe to say Blizzard is too lucky to have corona virus and has got a real jump compared to whole 2019 and that stocks going down trend since Blizzcon 2018 is broken for sure, does it mean anything for wc3? Nah it just means Reforged will remain burried cause it's failure did not have an effect at all thanks to corona covering up the all the loss they could have this quarter. TLDR; both Blizzard and Activision has recovered well from all the failures of last 2 years sadly. About King bringing most players and Activision being second, it was always like that mobile games and call of duty is another league it is just like NBA or Fifa, majority of whole pc\mobile\console users will always be willing to buy same product every year
Acctually, the numbers say differently. Both MAUs and net revenue have fallen for both Activision and Blizzard(and risen for King).

Why? Simply because Q1 earning calls are earning calls from January 1st to March 31st, and untill circa 20th March COVID-19 was hardly noticible outside of China, and maybe Italy(though it was only the beguining in Italy). So while maybe the results are better than they would've been without COVID-19, it's only like 10 days in the pandemic. To really see the impact of COVID-19 we'll have to wait for Q2 earning calls and see the report for April.

Level 20
Well, would you look at that:

Some Chinese dudes have made a graphics mod for Reforged. I'll be honest - while I'm not a fan of some parts, a lot of it actually looks good.

Level 20
It wasn't even debatable. Guess they watched too much GoT.
You know what hurts me the most? It's that after all this time I still don't really understand what Reforged was even supposed to be. I mean, I don't think people who wanted a faithful remaster are satisfied with Reforged. Or people who wanted some actual Reforging. To me the game is some weird hybrid, where they on one hand tried to do something new, but on the other just couldn't or wouldn't commit to it.

I don't know, dude, it just seems like a mess.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
To me the game is some weird hybrid, where they on one hand tried to do something new, but on the other just couldn't or wouldn't commit to it.

They kicked the bucket trying some Asian phone graphics bordering the original and WoW. Of course, they would have succeeded going with the original fans by properly HDing the stuff but they wanted more (WoW fans and whatnot as well) and more they got, on the negative side that is.

Level 16
It looks like one of those ENB's for Skyrim, honestly. It's different, but definitely still clunky and awkward. Look at the random 'lag' spikes, rather frame skips. And the shadows popping while moving, etc.

Nah, it won't change shit. I'm still looking forward to it's completion, though.

Level 9
Diablo II: Resurrected rumours:
Honestly, if that is true then I am not optimistic because the classic games team should be using all their time, resources and energy to fix Reforged.

Level 13
Diablo II: Resurrected rumours:
Honestly, if that is true then I am not optimistic because the classic games team should be using all their time, resources and energy to fix Reforged.
Honestly, this is good news. If there's gonna be a Diablo 2 Remastered it will probably be a good Remaster(like Starcraft) and not another Refunded fiasco. Why? For starter 2D engine games are easier to remaster, but most importantly, they can't afford it to fail. If there is gonna be a D2R it's gonna be in preparation for D4, and Blizzard is entirely focused on D4, even a whole WoW expansion is themed in preparation for D4. So when D4 releases, I estimate late 2021/early 2022, it's gotta be good and releasing bad D2R would be a marketing catastrophe for D4.
And imo Diablo is the last standing of Blizzard's big three, with Starcraft being pretty much done and Warcraft on thin ice, so D4 has to succeed, or otherwise Blizzard is doomed(OW is not enough to keep it running)

So sign me up for a hype train. As for Refunded, honestly, if they ever had any real intention to fix it, they would by now. And "fixing" it can't really go any slower than it already is, so I don't think another project would slow down the fixing, it's imo kinda impossible.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Honestly, this is good news. If there's gonna be a Diablo 2 Remastered it will probably be a good Remaster(like Starcraft) and not another Refunded fiasco. Why? For starter 2D engine games are easier to remaster, but most importantly, they can't afford it to fail. If there is gonna be a D2R it's gonna be in preparation for D4, and Blizzard is entirely focused on D4, even a whole WoW expansion is themed in preparation for D4. So when D4 releases, I estimate late 2021/early 2022, it's gotta be good and releasing bad D2R would be a marketing catastrophe for D4.
Let's hope that if this goes well, they'll remaster Warcraft III and drop Reforged to the hell hole.

Level 14
You know what hurts me the most? It's that after all this time I still don't really understand what Reforged was even supposed to be. I mean, I don't think people who wanted a faithful remaster are satisfied with Reforged. Or people who wanted some actual Reforging. To me the game is some weird hybrid, where they on one hand tried to do something new, but on the other just couldn't or wouldn't commit to it.

Hey there! I love Wc3 so I sometimes still frequent this website. Was really excited for Reforged but since it's such a fail, I decided to just keep tabs on it in order to see if Wc3R is going anywhere or not. So that's why I am here.

Now to your point....

We don't actually know the details. Maybe they were pushed by profit$ team to remaster this game because if wc3 and wow had so much success, wc3r would also have a huge success leading to a lot of $UCCE$$.

We actually don't know anything behind the scenes, we only know what we have been told and we can speculate.

I think something happened along the way. This is Blizzard, I bet they knew a 3D game would take way more to remaster than a 2D game. But graphics wasn't the only aspect they wanted to touch. Alongside Wc3 they also have WoW, the biggest MMORPG for 10 years now. They wanted to align everything which was Warcraft together. They wanted to retake cutscenes, update all campaign maps.... probably update how the maps play out too! They felt that a real remaster in the case of Wc3R would be to re-imagine everything.

They had a lot of content to work with from WoW. But it also required a lot of work. I bet they wanted to redo all of Illidans lines from the campaign with the new voice actor from WOW (which i wasn't a big fan at first but I started to like him). But more so there is evidence that they lacked people to do the work they envisioned for Wc3R.

We know that because they hired a different studio to do all their models. And that led to a shortage of quality. They invested money into another studio for high quality models, but then put the plug on anything else. They didn't invest any money in audio, level design or staff for that matter. If they had the staff, I don't think they would hire another studio, they would have done it themselves in house. So basically, probably sometime during mid development, all they actually had was 3D models done by another studio and everything else they needed to do in-house, which they lacked resources for.

Let's also remember they layed off a lot of people and put the plug on Heroes of the Storm. Not completely, but mostly. I think they release like two patches of content per year for that game now.

They decided to stop investing in ongoing projects, like Wc3R, which lead to being "completed" by 3 people at best.

Someone said in this thread that D4 is their only relevant franchise, well that is kind of true. I think SC2 is a really good game, but it somehow lacks presence. Warcraft is still relevant through WOW.... it still is the biggest MMORPG on the market.

I guess we are all hoping that Blizzard will bring a new game that will awe us... however they are no longer the same company who did that, because the same people aren't there anymore. It's people who make a game, not a company, but people. The people leading the company is what determines the outcome and those people are gone.

I look at Riot Games and I am 100% sure their next 2-3 games are absolutely going to be relevant to their genre going forward, because it's the same people at the helm who created the biggest online multiplayer game and who created an entire new standard for the esports scene. Yeah they did their shady deals, all big companies do. Yeah Riot Games are morally ambiguous, had scandals. But even so, when it came to general decision I think Riot Games really did go the right way and are an example about what it takes to make a great game. They are not the only ones, no, it's just the ones I am most familiar with.

Going back and looking at today's Blizzard, it's the same logo, same name, but with different employees, leaders and philosophies. Blizzard dynasty had no true successor. The empire has been inherited and run by common traders, not samurai. If you read Shogun you would know what I am talking about, if not I am going to sum it short... as a samurai you took pride in your work and you did your best to not fail your superiors. You also did your best to listen and follow. Your currency would be your honor. If something brings honor, then it would be the right thing to do. However a simple trader would just buy everything with money and had no honor, pride or any other quality which the samurai held in high regard. They just wanted money... and that is what Blizzard is today and is transforming into.... making money.

If in the future they will make great games again, it will be because they found out that you need a good product to make good money. If that doesn't hold true, then they won't make good products anymore, but they will make good money.

Level 13
Do you people think there's a chance that Custom Campaigns could be added next, since they added single player in a most recent patch. Or do you think we'll have to wait till 28th July. I mean they said additional features(or "content" as they stated) will be added every three months, I would've thought that anything they say doesn't really matter at this point, but they've added Single Player, first "new" feature, on 28th April, exactly three months after release.

What I'm wondering, is there a chance they'll add Custom Campaigns in the next patch, like idk a month from now roughly, or will we have to wait till 28th July till they either add them or another "new" feature(e.g Ladders, Profiles, Clans)?

Level 16
Do you people think there's a chance that Custom Campaigns could be added next, since they added single player in a most recent patch. Or do you think we'll have to wait till 28th July. I mean they said additional features(or "content" as they stated) will be added every three months, I would've thought that anything they say doesn't really matter at this point, but they've added Single Player, first "new" feature, on 28th April, exactly three months after release.

What I'm wondering, is there a chance they'll add Custom Campaigns in the next patch, like idk a month from now roughly, or will we have to wait till 28th July till they either add them or another "new" feature(e.g Ladders, Profiles, Clans)?

I think they will consider that a 'major' feature, and wouldn't be surprised if they throw a new, short campaign like the Demo in Wc3 Classic. After all, I'm hoping they've got a little decency left in their blood.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Do you people think there's a chance that Custom Campaigns could be added next, since they added single player in a most recent patch.
That's just one step. There's so much that needs fixing and stuff, not only on the modding side.
After all, I'm hoping they've got a little decency left in their blood.
Hypoxic blue blood.

Level 13
I think they will consider that a 'major' feature, and wouldn't be surprised if they throw a new, short campaign like the Demo in Wc3 Classic. After all, I'm hoping they've got a little decency left in their blood.
Oh, I meant if there's a chance they'll allow us to play Custom Campaigns again(without downloading a previous patch), it's a thing I miss the most out of this game. And possible make them playable, e.g not be bugged to unplayability.

As for your statement, honestly after seeing new Silvermoon and Dalaran, I don't want them to do that. I mean they had redone three maps, three and they promised to redo nearly every single one, and 2/3 of them completely suck. I'm not saying that new Startholm is better than the original, just that it's not a visible downgrade on first sight. I mean I don't get it, what was the point of redoing those maps? To make them closer to WoW? They look nothing like their WoW counterparts. Sure they've changed the layout to somewhat resemble Eversong Woods in some way, but Silvermoon and Quel'Dans look absolutely nothing like their WoW counterparts, same goes for Dalaran. I mean look at this SilverMoon and Dalaran Fixed, how much better they look and what an improvement, they look like full live cities. And this was just one guy, though at this point I don't think more than five people were ever working on Refunded.

Level 9
What do you guys think about this? Is this a teaser or just cut content?
I think its cut content. Games by EA have assets related to content which are not present in the final product, this is because the content was cut.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about this? Is this a teaser or just cut content?
I think its cut content. Games by EA have assets related to content which are not present in the final product, this is because the content was cut.

I wonder where they found them, because I've been searching in the CASCviewer but can't find them.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
OK, @tulee thinks:
"They confirmed earlier they would be porting over classic Bnet stats to Reforged ladder. Those pictures prizraknadache posted are all the 25 win icons from classic. Frozen Throne Ladder Icons
This is probably a sign they will be setting up Reforged ladder very soon, which is great news. Unlikely to be for anything except the icons for classic ladder conversion, but who knows."

Status
Not open for further replies.