• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
This conversation is beginning to head in a direction which should make the rest of this be private. Respond to this post in the Team Discussion thread.
Don't think there's still a lot to say, but made one anyway.
General Ray may help with recoding everything if you think he's needed for that. I'll work on getting more people, but doubt we'll successfully recruit new active JASS Experts who really dedicate themselves to the project.
Well, I'm thinking that you don't necessarily have to *recruit* them.
If you just provide some basic libraries people have to use (to keep the code consistent and avoid using tons of different functions that all do the same), anyone could make - for example - a spell and submit it here. Spells should be *relatively* easy and fast to make, so anyone who isn't truly dedicated can still contribute. In the end, it's still one spell we don't have to make.

To make this a workable idea, we need:
  1. A map containing the basic libraries. Probably my responsability
  2. A license agreement (see below)
  3. A list of spells, systems, models, whatever that is needed.

Note that the license agreement would ofcourse need some work, some refining. I'd have to be reworded.

In fact you could just as well use this system for any resource, whether it be code, models or textures.

Let me further develop this idea:

Contribution rules
As soon as a contribution has been submitted, you grant the war3:wow team the right to use it in the mod. This right is not necessarily exclusive and the resource will remain your copyright. You can use your work in any other project. However, once the contribution is submitted, you cannot ask us to remove your contribution from the mod.

There is no guarantee that your contribution will actually be used. Developers of the war3:wow team have the right to refuse your contribution for any reason. However, if your resource conforms to our standards, it is very likely to be accepted.

We reserve the rights to modify, extend or remove the resource to fit our needs. Note that such modifications will most likely be minor. If major modifications must be made, the resource will not be accepted.

Credits will be given if the resource will actually be used in the mod.

Code Contributions
Code contributions include - but are not limited to - spells, systems and triggers.
  • Any code contribution must be written in vJass, and use the full power of the language. This also includes being able to use commonly used libraries such as "Table" or "TimerUtils".
  • You must follow standard coding conventions as seen in blizzard's own code. This means starting each word of a function name with capital letters, writing variables lowercase, etcetera.
  • You are only allowed to use libraries included in <insert url> this map. If you need to use a library not provided in this map, it is less likely your resource will be accepted. In any way, contact one of the developers before doing so.
  • Notify us (send a PM or post a message) when you have started working on a resource. We will then mark the resource as "Work in Progress". For obvious reasons, when a resource is already marked as "Work in Progress", you should not start working on it.
  • If you have not updated us on the status of your work for over 2 weeks, someone else can be free to start working on it.

Resource
Claimed by
Status
Description

Fireball (Mage Spell)
Nobody
To be claimed
Hurls a fiery ball that causes X Fire damage and an additional Y Fire damage over Z sec. X, Y, Z must still be decided

Frost Armor(Mage Spell)
Eleandor
Finished & Accepted
Increases Armor by X. If an enemy strikes the caster, they may have their movement slowed by 30% and the time between their attacks increased by 25% for 5 sec. Only one type of Armor spell can be active on the Mage at any time. Lasts 30 min.

This is ofcourse an example (I have not *finished* frost armor at all :p)
Edit: maybe it's a better idea to leave the looong description out of the table, and provide a link to more information.

Models
Dunno

*any* jasser can make a fireball. They don't necessarily have to be truly devoted to wc3:wow to finish 1 spell. So I think that's why this system could be an advantage.

Level 25
Awesome idea. Though it'll be left up to you since you're the head JASS Expert of the team right now and so you basically are the one with all knowledge of which libraries/functions to use for Wc3:WoW. Makes sense.

Let me know when you're done with the license agreement and then I'll add onto it/fix up whatever spelling mistakes or whatever I see or feel that something needs to be added.

Level 13
I've already made a good number of spells, but there is one rule I didn't follow:

writing variables lowercase

But I'll fix that, no problem :D.

Probably the biggest problem for coders is that some of the systems aren't updated for the new patch, like UnitProperties. But I guess they will update it eventually.

Thank god that all those indexing systems will probably perish :D

Status
Not open for further replies.