1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset in the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

» Create your defined artistic style using the mighty alpha-tile

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by De.Facto, Aug 20, 2010.

1. De.Facto

De.Facto

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And wo_Ot is this?

3. De.Facto

De.Facto

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You're kidding, right? I've explained everything, furthermore I think you're familiar with this.

4. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Tutorial miss:

1st. Nice and proper documentation
    2nd. Test map
    3rd. Please remove Signature from it

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. De.Facto

De.Facto

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There will be no 'test-map', mate. I've just took some shots of my current projects. As a conlusion, it isn't even necessary cause the alpha-tile is a tool for your work-flow.

6. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    er.
    what are you saying, that the tile can be used as some kind of.. layer beneath doodads?
    it's most definitely not a tutorial currently. it explains how to import an alpha tile - it doesn't explain any of the parts that you've done there, i took a wild stab in the dark, which i think is right.
    plus wouldn't the walkable box in destructibles make this a lot simpler - apart from the snap-to-grid stuff.

tutorials are meant to actually teach people how to do stuff, not just.. introduce an idea. especially in such vague terms. i doubt most people would understand this very much.

also, the images need to be attached to the site

7. De.Facto

De.Facto

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is a tool, dude. I can't teach/show people how to find their own artistic style.

As pathing for units/any physic engine.

Mh? I can't see any difficulty using the terrain-palette. Once the tile is imported and applied - you can start working with it.
    This is no tutorial for importing senseless stuff into your map. As I already mentioned in my final conclusion, it's a technique and method to boost and improve your work-flow and final achievements.

Let's take a look on the following example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've created a stair, using different doodads. On the other screenshot you can see the pathing/mesh of the editor.
    In order to use this - according to the rules - you have to place some pathing blockers (on the left/right side), of course.

.. but sure, that's right. This technique requires some basic knowledge with the WE.

Edit: I've attached the screenshots. Give me some time, I'll add some comments. (;

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  8. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    excuse me? the world editor is a tool. the model editing tools are tools. photoshop and the art programs are TOOLS. this section is for tutorials on tools (mainly).

I know that, and so do some people, but not everyone does. the whole thing is kind of ridiculous because all you're doing is promoting a texture and vaguely showing how to use it for things.

again, I know that, but a lot of people do not. a lot of people wouldn't know what you're trying to show with the mesh, and lots wouldn't know that you have to place pathing blockers.

you're not making a 'tutorial' so that it shows how much YOU know, it's meant to educate people on things, they go into the tutorial and go out knowing how to do something (at least in most cases). at least say that it require quite a bit of editor knowledge, because it really does.

9. De.Facto

De.Facto

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok, thanks for the feedback. I've improved the tutorial.

E: yeah sorry, I know. :> Would've done this with an english version of the editor.. but I thought it wasn't 'that' necessary since the explanation-text is in english.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  10. Sheephunter

Sheephunter

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is very well done, Just that your editor is in german :/ I live in sweden, and I use english editor >.<
    Anyway, this is good for all kind of maps, I approve.

11. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The tutorial looks cool, but I have no idea what you are trying to explain. This... Alpha tile. It's an invisible tile, right? So you have to use it to... Well, what do you use it for? I have no idea what you're trying to explain. :/

If I understood right, it's mainly to put doodads on top of it, and keep it walkable\playable, right? But this can be done with other stuff, like invisible platforms and custom pathing maps. But I suppose this is good for doodads that have holes in them, so they're "see-through", like that metal bridge\floor from Chernobyl: Lost Riddles.

12. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    100% Transparency Terrain Tile!

In other words it will remove tile from ground but height will remain there, units can go there, build building do whatever they want, just like using large invisible platform that can be lowered on some point, and so on!

13. De.Facto

De.Facto

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's probably, well.. that's the point. Platforms absorb performance. Try to use 10, 20, 50 .. no problem. Try to use more than 4000-5000 like we did in Chernobyl - Lost Riddles, unplayable. The alpha-tile absorbs nothing. Zero. We got stable fps and I'm doing good with it. Just take a look on Arcadia, or Rise or Rapture. This is very useful for large projects which depends on a good performance. Using invisible platforms has shown, that you'll loose performance - far beyond unplayability. Furthermore you have to put more and more WORK into creating such pathing-maps. The alpha-tile is easy to handle, absorbs no performance and can be used by everyone.

But, one thing: The grid is your god. The doodads around your mesh are 'just' eyecandy.

Should I create more examples? I mean, what is your point of view? This is just a technique, I can't give you tips for a specific idea.
    I'll probably create a second tutorial .. something like 'Tips for better ideas'. When you forgot to read the tutorial-comments, do it.

Hey that's good, too. I'll create another layer for the tutorial. May I assimilate your comment? I think it would be great to have several voices in the conclusion.

E: I'll create a simple test-map for a better imagination.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  14. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    the pictures are still about as helpful as a bottomless bucket, you might want to describe things in them, what they are, what they do, all that kind of stuff

15. ZIR

ZIR

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Just one question how can I get this grid view like on your screenshots.

16. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just hit "Ctrl + T" few times and see ^^!

17. ZIR

ZIR

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ah now i see it that this is just athe standard map grid.
    But I have another problem I've imported it and it works when I just stay on the same height but if I use the cliff tool it doesn't work, I just see the normal blizz cliffs.

18. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Don't use blizzard cliffs :D

19. ZIR

ZIR

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    What should i use instead? Can you give me a another cliff model, sorry but I'm new to terraining.

20. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Will send map with few tips and suggestions how to start with terrain is that ok?