• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Petition for increasing the mapsize in multiplayergames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi @ all,

I just started a petition in the battlenet forum with the base question, why there is an 8mb size limitation for multiplayer maps in WC3. I tried to show, that there are many impressive projects out there, created by members of the wc3 modding community. And an increase of that limitation to 12 or at least 10mb would help us all. I'm pretty sure Bnet and WC3 itself could easily handle maps with like 20mb mapssize. So if you simple support this idea, or even better, mod yourself, please leave a post or /sign in the thread. You are also welcomed to present your own project in a short ducomentation.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27804720221&sid=3000

Maybe if we can collect enough /signs blizzard will hear our prayers and show, that they have a heart for modders.

Greetings
Thy

P.s. please don't try to explain why this increase may/would never happen. Just ignore it, if you don't care or believe. Or even then leave a /sign, cause each voice counts :)

Level 11
Thanks to those of you who posted allready in THIS thread, I'm happy, that I'm not alone :)

But to get something moving it is neccessary, that you leave a post in the blizzard bnet forum as well.

I might be annoying that you have to varify, that you are owner of a legal copy of a version of warcraft, wc2, wc3 RoC, wc3 tft or diablo2 to be able to leave a post there. It's not linked to your today battlenet acount, cause it is the old bnet. So you would make me really happy, if you can find 2 minutes to login and leave a supporting post in there.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27804720221&postId=278022080386&sid=3000

Thank you in advance,
Thy

Last edited:
Level 11
Funny how everyone seem to be supporting you but still no one is spending 1 minute for the effort to post there.

Yes, kinda sad... So plz, logging in and leaving a simple "/signed" or "I agree" or anything that can be counted as a supportive post will help.

And it doesn't take you longer than 1-2 minutes. So plz log in and post. Thank you.

Greetings
Thy

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Limited maintenence. Updating WC3 is not like updating your map. It is like being given 10000 maps and getting gold by someone that X hero has X bug in it without knowing which map he was refering to.

Updating file size might require changing a few things in the map transfer system. It may not be a 1 line job (like it should if it was developed in a maintainable way). Their duty to maintain the game at the moment is completly optional, so any fix / change is lucky.

I would rather see 100% of the limited resources availalbe go to fixing critical bugs like the security exploit or even minor ones like the long known handle ID leak if you do not null local handles before the end of the function which pointed to a handle that gets deallocated.

@Midnighters - loading if you mean loading in-game does not actually relate directly to map file size, it depends more on the amount of data loaded and on the optimization of the codes (and there's tools to reduce the loading time, Widgetizer)... take DotA for example, its about 7.xx MB, but it takes about only 30secs to load (on mine and my laptop is about 4yrs old now, and has a really not good specs)...

Level 15
my computer is about 11 years old, and loads TEve, and Daemonic in about 5 minutes, DotA takes about 2 minutes for me.

It's not the computer power that matters for Wc3's download rate. It's heavily limited due to the fucktarded transfer protocol they utilize that limits it to a few kb/s. If they overhauled that to allow much faster speeds, around 200kb/s, it would allow download of 8mb maps to be performed in less than a minute.

Of course this would be limited by default to the upload speed of host.

In summary, increase capacity and speed.

Level 11
Could we please return to topic? Increasing the filesize would help all modders. That's the reason why I started this petition. When Blizz really increase the limit they would for sure adapt the bnet transfer rates to uptodate values, everthing different would be dump.

Level 11
I didn't want to talk harsh. I appreciate every piece of interest that this thread recieves. 12 or at least 10 mb would be greate allready, imagine how 16 (as a power of 2 like 8) would be...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It's not the computer power that matters for Wc3's download rate. It's heavily limited due to the fucktarded transfer protocol they utilize that limits it to a few kb/s. If they overhauled that to allow much faster speeds, around 200kb/s, it would allow download of 8mb maps to be performed in less than a minute.

I have downloaded maps at an insane 400 KB/sec (not kbps) from bots.

There are 2 limits to the download rate.
1. Physical, where if someone like me hosts who has a crap 40 KB/sec upload, no one can logically download any faster than that.
2. Bug, where it seems the default host system WC3 uses randomly allocates an upload rate between 0 and 100 KB/sec. Bots have fixed this (as the example above showed).

Once more fiber is placed, then we can expect faster uploads but we are looking in the 5-10 year range there.

Level 19
This definitely must be signed, good idea there, I really hope Blizzard would do that, this way, maps can be of better quality in the future.

Edit: Ugh, I can't seem to find my CD Key box anywhere! I hope there's a way to tell Blizzard about this too...

Edit #2: Found my CD Key, logged on and signed:)

Last edited:
Level 19
Yes, like how they did on some other requests, so it's advisable to gather more people by any means as soon as possible to sign this lol. I'll gather a few right now...

Level 19
Even a mere 2 MB more would greatly increase the potential of maps, please do help us, thank you so much everyone !

Level 11
And I told sveral times that this is not a discussion if the file size limit shall be removed/increased. This is a petition. So if you don't want to support, just don't do it. Everybody else who wants to help, simply leave a /sign in the blizz forum, thanks.

Level 19
I have already explained the fact that older computers cannot load large maps fast, such as RPGs, they take forever to load. Making the limit higher only makes that load time longer.

The file size increase is for players who want to play games with more detail, maps can still be created with a low file size for easy download, so don't worry:)

Level 14
I just don't see any point in the increase.

then please don't post here if you don't want to support this idea... if you need a good point look at Thyrael's project or one of the Fusion engineering group http://www.fusion-engineering-group.com/ some projects just needs a higher file size I don't see a point against it if you don't want to download projects like this then don't do it I think this makes sense.

Level 14
That is when you split said projects into multiple maps, such as the D3W Maps

He only do it because of this problem dude... and started this petition and some maps should't be split into multiple maps anyway if you don't like this idea just stop posting things with anti reasons this makes no sense for me. :/

P.s. please don't try to explain why this increase may/would never happen. Just ignore it, if you don't care or believe. Or even then leave a /sign, cause each voice counts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.