• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Subtum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Heh, yeah.

Attachments

• Subtum.png
    Subtum.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 828
Level 21
Silhouette landscapes are always fun to look at, and this one is no exception :psmile: The glows give it a really pleasant feeling, but the moon seems more like a blue sun with all that brightness and no solid definition. The black glow shadows underwater are amazing in that they sort of appear to be the background blurred behind the creature which emulates the concept of the game Limbo.

A couple things distort the 3D effect. The first is that the boat isn't closer to the camera with the bottom of it showing clearly through the water. The second is that the creature's highest tentacle isn't refracted or distorted in any way by the change in view of the water from top to side.

Great idea for a sliced side view using water.

Level 36
but the moon seems more like a blue sun with all that brightness and no solid definition.

Whose saying it's a moon?

btw, are the clouds part of the skybox or a seperate model?

Separate, as hein said, although he linked the wrong model. I don't remember where
I found this one, but it's a cloud model that instead of getting transparent when you
lower the grb settings it get's blacker.

Lacks flamenco

Damn true.

Level 14
Whose saying it's a moon?

A cop out for sure, but it did get me thinking a little differently. And, to me, it looks like a light reflecting off of an eye's retina, or sclera, or macula, or optic disc, or whatever reflects the light of the camera(!!), which I thought was a cool way to imagine this piece. It's all taking place on the inside of someone or something's eye; sure adds to the surrealism, I suppose.

Level 36
It's all taking place on the inside of someone or something's eye; sure adds to the surrealism, I suppose.

It's all inside the eye of a blue-eyed giant.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of it in a surreal sort of way.

Oh, I thought it would be abundantly clear this is a surrealistic terrain,
sorry if I misguided you.

can I have the map please?

No.

Level 34
Love it.

The shadows in the water are a huge part of what makes this awesome. Not that it wouldn't be great without them, but they are just the piece that takes it into amazing status.

Shame the transition of air to water doesn't look that great. Would it be possible to make each layer less rigid?

Level 15
I love it because it's so different from the other things I've seen done over the years.

It's extremely simple on the surface (hehe), but underneath it shows an understanding of the core concepts regarding composition.

Same thing as Gilles on that, is there anyway to improve the gradient on the water as it moves deeper down?

Level 36
Shame the transition of air to water doesn't look that great. Would it be possible to make each layer less rigid?

Same thing as Gilles on that, is there anyway to improve the gradient on the water as it moves deeper down?

For me, that's part of what makes the water good. I just love how the sharp transitions
add a layer of abstractness to it. I can't make the transitions more subtle, but I can
possibly add more layers, darker layers. I'll fool around a little and see what surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.