• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help Me Improve!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello there guys, i have been making a map for WC3 these months and i wanted to ask you if you can help me improve, well the terrain is Ice-Themed and i'd like to have some suggestions of how to improve, yes i know that the terrain in most of the pictures is terrible. :/

Here are some attached screenshots: :)

Edit:Uploaded more terrible pictures that need improving... :/

Attachments

• Farshire.jpg
    Farshire.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Geyser.jpg
    Geyser.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Riplash Stand.jpg
    Riplash Stand.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Steeljaw.jpg
    Steeljaw.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Taunka Village.jpg
    Taunka Village.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Random Isle.jpg
    Random Isle.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Landing.jpg
    Landing.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Random Temple.jpg
    Random Temple.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Valliance.jpg
    Valliance.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Level 7
Hey there,

I see you are going for a blizzard feel in your terrain, and so far you are capturing this feeling quite nicely ;) There is room for improvements though.

First of all is your tile variation. In some screens (especially those set in settlements or camps) there is a lot of very unnatural tile placement going on.

Secondly, you are using some doodads which don't match the theme. The barrens fissures don't fit in, and the crops that grow in one of your orcish camps don't really blend in with all the frozen wastelands around.

A thing I do really like though is the original use of some of the doodads, like the clothing lines between the rocks. Don't overdo this kind of detail though, as it might distract attention when you don't want it to be distracted.

Level 14
Thank you for taking some time and making a good ''review'' with negatives and positives, well you're right, i like adding some original blizzard feel into my maps and combining with doodads, i use the shrubs (from barrens like you noticed) because im trying to add a feeling of nature in my map, if i could find some good frozen enviroment models i will add them to make sure it looks better! :D

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I suppose this tutorial by void might help you alot: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/natural-environments-96825/
And as everyone before me pointed out, your work with tiles needs improvement. Think about the setting and the theme before you choose tiles, and place doodads in accordance to what tiles you are using. For example an iceblock will look out of place when placed on a grass tile and in addition the barrens doodads look out of place when placed on a snowy tileset. Just something to think about in the future :smile:

Level 18
As i'm pretty sure this is Borean Tundra, (or you have just copied the names) i'm curious.. Why is there ice? The icy part is actually coming near En'kilah and Wintergrasp.. Oh well anyways. As said before, the barrens doodads look horrible. If you dont feel like making new texture for them, i guess you could atleast add some tinting color to make 50% of the things to actually fit there. Also about the ''Random Temple'' first of all.. You call that a temple? And for other things, you can actually see inside those blocks there, it looks just.. Odd..

Anyways, if you have improved the terrain, show new screenies :3

Status
Not open for further replies.