• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Terraining Showcase

What do you think about my terraining?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys and terrainers! Wanted to share my terraining pictures to get your opinions and suggestions to improve my terraining skills.
I hope you like them.

Attachments

• PYTerrain01.jpg
    PYTerrain01.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 328
  • PYTerrain02.jpg
    PYTerrain02.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 2017.jpg
    2017.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 275
  • PYTerrain03.jpg
    PYTerrain03.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 299
  • PYTerrain04.jpg
    PYTerrain04.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 279
  • PYTerrain05.jpg
    PYTerrain05.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 286
  • PYTerrain05Update.jpg
    PYTerrain05Update.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 251
  • PYTerrain06.png
    PYTerrain06.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 282
  • PYTerrain07.png
    PYTerrain07.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 277
  • PYTerrain08a.png
    PYTerrain08a.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 281
  • PYTerrain09.png
    PYTerrain09.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 199
  • PYTerrain10.png
    PYTerrain10.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
  • Castle-Update.png
    Castle-Update.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 351
  • Nature.png
    Nature.png
    2 MB · Views: 438
  • Castle-Update-2.png
    Castle-Update-2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Level 36
If these are your first attempts at terraining, I'd say you've done a a decent job.
But there is certainly a learning curve to be had here.

Firstly, I'd like to point out the fact that you made a "showcase" as your first thread,
for many reasons we prefer if you make separate threads for your terrains in the beginning,
and then, only when you have accumulated a fair number of terrains you are proud of, is
when you should make a showcase.

Anyway, formalities out of the way, I'd like to address three items of interest: Scaling, focus and backdrop.

Generally speaking, you are doing alright, doodad variation and placement is decent, the fog work is alright,
there's some rotation fixes to be had, and you generally have a decent eye for quality doodads. But.

The scaling is way off in most of these, most doodads are... Generally the same size, and some are too large.
You need to pay attention to textures when making scenic terrains, many doodads shouldn't be scaled too much,
like the birds in the first terrain, all the structure doodads in the second, the ruined archs you use as ceilings in
the third and like the statue, and especially the ferns, in the fourth. All good example of doodads that look more
or less terrible when scaled too big. Otherwise you also have a problem with varying the scaling, especially with
the flora. Trees should always be varied in size, from small saplings to large robust trees. And underbrush, like
the ferns, should never be larger than the trees.

The focus is also skewered in most of these, for one you have the camera far too zoomed in on the doodads,
you should pull it back some, to get a broader view of what you're making. Additionally, when you're this much
zoomed in, you really get to see the bad textures on doodads with bad textures. You should also play around
more with angles, three out of the four terrains actually look like they were all made from the exact same
angle, with doodad, fog, lighting and ground changes to make it seem different.

And lastly, the most important thing of them all: The backdrop: there isn't any. You need proper horizons in your
terrains. If there is one redeeming factor for a terrain, one thing that can make an otherwise shitty looking terrain
seem nice, it's a properly made backdrop, the feeling that the world goes on and on and on and on. All four of your
terrains suffer from a very old terrain board expression called "end of the world." It is basically how we describe it
when a terrain seems like it simply ends at the horizon, like if you walked across it you'd fall into a black, bottomless
pit of eternal WorldEditor hell. This is done by clever fog fork, having several layers of mountains, mountains behind
mountains, extending the size of the map and making it seem like the terrain melds into the sky in the distance.

These are three factors I think would improve your terrains tremendously if you focused on improving them.
And please do us all a favor and make a new thread the next time you make a terrain, it's much more easier
to relate to one terrain per thread, than to having to comment on all of them at once. Hope to see more from
you, and good luck in your endeavors in a dying art :)

First of all, thank you, you god of terraining!

These points are the actually what I needed. So, replying:
Firstly, I'd like to point out the fact that you made a "showcase" as your first thread,
for many reasons we prefer if you make separate threads for your terrains in the beginning,
and then, only when you have accumulated a fair number of terrains you are proud of, is
when you should make a showcase.
You are Administrator, so would you please make this thread to separate threads according to this point of you??
You need to pay attention to textures when making scenic terrains, many doodads shouldn't be scaled too much,
It will be done in the next threads.
All four of your
terrains suffer from a very old terrain board expression called "end of the world." It is basically how we describe it
when a terrain seems like it simply ends at the horizon, like if you walked across it you'd fall into a black, bottomless
pit of eternal WorldEditor hell. This is done by clever fog fork, having several layers of mountains, mountains behind
mountains, extending the size of the map and making it seem like the terrain melds into the sky in the distance.
At last, you did it! I myself was thinking about this before and I thought that one important thing is missed in my terrains. That's it, Backdrop! I must practice it more and more.

Well, I can say that these points can help me so much!
Thanks Keiji!

Level 14
Hey PrinceYaser,

nice terrain shots!

Despite that I am not such a terraining legend as Keiji is, I wanted to point out, that in the fourth one, the houses look a bit out of scale (especially the left one looks strange, too stretched..), also the water lillies are under the water level and the water looks a bit dead, especially as it is in focus. Maybe lower the ground and use some more tile variation there?

Status
Not open for further replies.