• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first terrain: Firelords chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Terrain showcase

Hello,
Here are terrains i made for my project(s) or for practicing.
You can also watch my Terrain Showcase Album to see what I do.

I need your opinions on how to improve the terrains.

196278-albums3922-picture36720.jpg

196278-albums3922-picture36721.jpg

196278-albums3922-picture36723.jpg

196278-albums3922-picture36722.jpg

Credits: Thanks to CloudWolf for his awesome Firelord Skin.

P.S: I do not want to use the UTM for this. Even if there are better Doodads (Rocks, Trees) I don't want to. I like the Blizzard trees / doodads how they are.

Last edited:
Level 3
I need more opinions than just one. Please tell me what you think about these pictures.

Thread Changes

- Changed text
- Added pictures

Level 6
Firelord's Chamber

Well, I could tell you the same stuff some other guys told me on my first terrain with hell-theme. Some points:
  • Tile-variation, atleast 4 or 5 different Tiles should be used.
  • Make some lava instead of using red water.
  • Add some smaller rocks next to the big ones.
  • Maybe some critters like lava-spawns or shades.
Help me improve - Hell Theme
Check the screenshots and comments, I almost did the same mistakes you do. :infl_thumbs_up:
Sacred Grove

Some over here:
  • More tiles.
  • Some animals.
  • Flowers, bushes, etc are placed too ...well.. organized. It doesn't look "randomly".
  • It looks like the world ends behind the forrest,for example, make some some hills/mountains in the background.
  • Pitch the trees or/and colour them a little bit, so they don't look the same.
Don't get me wrong, it's good for your first terrain and I like your attitude to use as little imports as possible.
The things mentioned above are just suggestions, you don't have to do everything I say.
Tell me about updates, I gladly check this again. :psmile:

Level 3
Update

~ Firelords Chamber ~

- Changed the red water to better looking lava
- Added some doodads
Updated Terrain is attached to this post.
I added some little cage walls. The player shouldnt look at overstreched walls now. The first picture is with cage walls while the second one is without (to have a better look at the chambers terrain).

I'll add more doodads tomorrow. Have a good night :>

Attachments

• FirelordCage.jpg
    FirelordCage.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 100
  • FirelordNoCage.jpg
    FirelordNoCage.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 101
Level 8
For your second terrain, I'd suggest mare variation in your grass tiles. Use grass from several different tile sets to create a variety. Not all grass is created equal.

Level 3
Update

~ Firelords Chamber ~

- Added much more lava cracks
- Added some small rocks around big rocks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

183 views and only 4 opinions? :|
Please tell me what you think of these terrains.

Attachments

• FirelordCage.jpg
    FirelordCage.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 187
  • FirelordNoCage.jpg
    FirelordNoCage.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 223
Level 15
Suggestions

For the sacred grove use summer trees instead of felwood ones. Also spread the trees out alot more and add doodads to their base so they can stand on their own without looking weird (i.e. rocks, plants, flowers).

Make the trees larger or the no-collision doodads smaller, it doesn't make sense for a mushroom to be a quarter the size of a tree.

Take some of those big rocks on the waterfalls and replace them with multiple smaller rocks, right now you'r stretching the textures a tad too much. Also I would reccomend putting doodads onto the rocks themselves so it looks more realistic (grass, shrubs, mushrooms, etc.). Also add some steam to the base of the waterfalls, that usually looks good and gives a more swampland-look.

Spread the trees you have on top of the waterfalls to all over so they're not just located in one place and dig them into the rocks more. Change some of their pitch angles too so it looks like the tree is conforming to the formation of the rocks.

Use much more tile variation - get some of the thick mossy grass tile (i forget what it is called), it should look good here. Also, add some sort of stone or dirt path leading to the lake.

Add more doodads to the water other than just the cattails - some lily pads for example.

Increase the size of some of those shrubs your using (to 2x for example) and use them as bushes. It will add alot to the depth of your terrain.

These are all just suggestions ofcourse. They look good so far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.