• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Images of my proyect - Help me improve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
That's it, I would be very grateful if you could help me improve the terrains of my proyect. Actually, I'm still working on the first map, a forest. See the attached pictures. They are two pictures of the area where the player begins, a small river through the woods.

First of all, I want to know what do you think, your opinion.
There is one thing in this landscape that I don't like too much... The borders of the forest. I see too much contrast between the tree area and the grass area.
How do you think I could improve this borders?

Remember that this is a PLAYABLE terrain.

I'll wait for your opinions.

Regards

Attachments

• Captura 01.jpg
    Captura 01.jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Captura 02.jpg
    Captura 02.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Captura 03.jpg
    Captura 03.jpg
    915.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Captura 04.jpg
    Captura 04.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Level 9
Thanks for your answer. I'm glad you like it!

... I'll never be a fan of the leaves tile, it's pretty much the only ashenvale tile I just can't stand.

Me neither. I don't like it. But I didn't find another tile that fits that area. That's why I don't like that part too much.
Would you advise me to use another tile?

I wait for more opinions.

Regards

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Would you advise me to use another tile?
Me, I would try to fend off monotony by blending it with dirt and rock tiles from the village tileset. Or not even that, just give the leaves less ground to soil. It's not really an issue if it isn't this dominant.

Bottom line is you don't really have to add much; you have a good color scheme going on already.

Level 3
Your terrain need more details,bushes , flowers , woods , lamps ,ruins ............Use your imagination ,and then ,do it........lol.........

Level 9
Hi there.
Thank you ionster and Bernkastel for your answers.

Yeah, I know that the map has a lack of details. I'll try to add some ruins, and maybe I'll get some new rock models.
This forest doesn't have an especific inhabitant race. It's a small forest full with animal life. Wolves, insects, some treants... It's something like a natural reserve.

I have uploaded 2 more screenshots to the first post. One of them is one of the ancient ruins of the forest. The other one is a small log bridge in an river.
Tell me what do you think.

Regards

Level 3
Hi there.
Thank you ionster and Bernkastel for your answers.

Yeah, I know that the map has a lack of details. I'll try to add some ruins, and maybe I'll get some new rock models.
This forest doesn't have an especific inhabitant race. It's a small forest full with animal life. Wolves, insects, some treants... It's something like a natural reserve.

I have uploaded 2 more screenshots to the first post. One of them is one of the ancient ruins of the forest. The other one is a small log bridge in an river.
Tell me what do you think.

Regards
Very well, i just open my laptop and you know, just out of the blue, i see your reply,so i have no time prepare for it.
So , let's make it clear the reason why your terrain were not so awesome.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/212071-albums5500-picture58458.jpg
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/212071-albums5500-picture58458.jpg
so , just in my view, these red circles express the place where i thought were not detailed enough, but why?
Firstly,just for example, you can add more kind of stones.You see, in my terrain, anywhere i will use at least 3 kinds of different stones,bushes or another small object like that.
Also, use more kind of objects, stumps,mushrooms(use different color),broken tiles,wooden chips, street lamps with vine, and so on so on.make a full use of your imagination. I suggest , first, clear what you should put in your map,and after that,you can start your work.

the next point is, Artificial things like pillar and ruins should give your player special feeling.That is to say , they can only find this scene in your map , and give them a deep impression.Here is of my work in the year of 2008(just so so....lol~):

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/212071-albums5500-picture58462.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/212071-albums5500-picture58462.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/212071-albums5500-picture58460.jpg

so you can see, the most important thing while making terrain is ,thinking.

and here is my result:
1,in the first picture,you can add more small stones and broken wooden chips.
2,in the second picture:
a,add huge stones and trees.
b,try to make a huge ruined temple.

just my simple suggests,maybe wrong , maybe right ( i do not know either.:ogre_hurrhurr:)

Last edited:
Level 9
Thank you ionster for your advise.
It's clear that you have some experience (more than me for sure), and so your suggestions are very valuable to me.

Well, it's evident that the details are the thing I must focus on...
So, your sugestion is to put more kinds of rocks, and in more number; and to cover the ground with vegetation like small shrubs, mushrooms, etc. to make it more... "alive". Am I wrong?
Where can I find stones or small shrubs that can fit well in this forest? The UTM, maybe?
And, what do you really mean with a "huge ruined temple"? A "just decoration" one, or a playable one?

I still don't have too much experience with this kind of things...:goblin_cry: I find it very complicated to imagine or to make good-looking terrains (this is the first time I try to make a proyect with and elaborated terrain, after all...).

Thanks for your attention.

Regards

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Why are people so persistent in pointing out how a terrain piece is lacking if not every square inch is so cluttered it looks like it's been struck by bombshells?

Make the details count, don't literally count them.

AND SHOW
THE PAGE
SOME MERCY
OKAY?!!

~ hidden tags for site law ~

Level 3
Why are people so persistent in pointing out how a terrain piece is lacking if not every square inch is so cluttered it looks like it's been struck by bombshells?

Make the details count, don't literally count them.

AND SHOW
THE PAGE
SOME MERCY
OKAY?!!

~ hidden tags for site law ~
Very very very well my dear boss, it's really a hard work for me to kill the page.And that was my fault.I hardly use internet before, that is because i had so much things to do ,so , i'm not so familiar with it.
So if you accept my apologize, i still want to say something.
I JUST WANT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM ,and that's all.I just want to express my opinion ,and that's all.I just want to help ,and that's all.Not everybody can understand abstract ideas, sometimes we should give certain suggestions,this is just my style,and you know ,that's all.
Yes, maybe wrong ,maybe right, i do not know.

Thanks fla,you taught me a good lesson.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Very very very well my dear boss, it's really a hard work for me to kill the page.And that was my fault.I hardly use internet before, that is because i had so much things to do ,so , i'm not so familiar with it.
So if you accept my apologize, i still want to say something.
Apology accepted.
I JUST WANT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM ,and that's all.I just want to express my opinion ,and that's all.I just want to help ,and that's all.Not everybody can understand abstract ideas, sometimes we should give certain suggestions,this is just my style,and you know ,that's all.
Yes, maybe wrong ,maybe right, i do not know.
You're welcome to do all. Quite frankly you just happened to be a case to a point I've been meaning to address for a while. It was a legitimate question, and trust me on this; you are definitely not the first, nor the last, person to say something along those very same worn lines.

For what it's worth, at least your post was elaborate. So yeah, props for that at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.