• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Saryeit's Terrains 10/8/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello everyone! My other thread that I made died months ago, and since then, I have improved and made a few more terrains I would like to display. Please remember, many of these are:

- Meant to be playable at one time or another
- Not every picture is my newest work, I am showing some over my years.

I am posting these to get constructive feedback. I know I'm not as good as many of the terrainers here at the Hive, but I have to start somewhere. Don't just say "It sucks". I know it's not that good, but I would like tips as to how to make my terraining more realistic, and exciting. Even if you like it, I would love to hear what you like about it.

Descriptions of each picture is listed below. P# = Picture Number from left to right.

P1 - An overview of the Forest of the Makers. The forest had a lot of inspiraton from Blizzard's Emerald Dream.
P2 - The Crystal Fields, a small area in the Forest of the Makers.
P3 - The Crystal Fields.
P4 - A waterfall overlooking a portal from the Great Tree's arc of roots. The water is quickly absorbed by the large trees at the bottom of the cliff, which is why the river doesn't expand out.
P5 - Another area of the Forest of the Makers. So far unnamed.
P6 - An overview of the area near the spirals.
-- P1-6 are all going to be expanded upon in a much, much larger project that involved this area. The smaller zones that feature a few objects and such, that you saw above, will be greatly expanded, featuring much more of the world with similar design.
P7,8 - This got uploaded twice for some reason: But its a memorial to a real life friend of mine, who I dedicate all of my creative projects to. From terrain art, to stories.
P9 - The large Spider gate into the Troll Empire of Zul'Antaroth.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy my work. :grin:

Attachments

• Forest Overview01.PNG
    Forest Overview01.PNG
    929 KB · Views: 117
  • CrystalFields02.PNG
    CrystalFields02.PNG
    882.1 KB · Views: 116
  • CrystalFields01.PNG
    CrystalFields01.PNG
    837.3 KB · Views: 106
  • PortalWaterfall01.PNG
    PortalWaterfall01.PNG
    932.8 KB · Views: 99
  • SheriliasSpirals01.PNG
    SheriliasSpirals01.PNG
    970.1 KB · Views: 88
  • SheriliasSpirals02.PNG
    SheriliasSpirals02.PNG
    811.1 KB · Views: 91
  • WhistlingForest4.PNG
    WhistlingForest4.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
  • 2WhistlingForest4.PNG
    2WhistlingForest4.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
  • 2ZulAntaroth1.PNG
    2ZulAntaroth1.PNG
    961.8 KB · Views: 125
Level 9
Hmm not bad. A few tips though.
For the forest terrain you might want to add a little more vegetation to the surrounding area. especially around the tress. maybe mushrooms or shrubs growing around the trees. The glowing light (crystals?) look a little out of place. maybe putting an accual crystal model around the trees and area would look better.
Now the ice terrains.
I like the first one (the memorial) Somethings look a bit out of place but I take it they represented your friend. (May he rest in peace)
And the spider gate. A tip. In the background you can see the terrain being cut off and the shading setting in. I'm not exactly sure how to fix this but you should find out how.

All in all they are good ideas, but with room for improvement.
And if your looking to make more realistic terrains. the Ultimate terraining map has more realistic models to choose from and their trees look alot better the the default warcraft ones.

Level 5
Thanks for the advice! The tealish colors on the Forest pictures are actually crystals. Since the zone was very strongly based on my imagination on the Emerald Dream, one thing that I visualized are crystals and flowers all rooted on large crystals. I just recently discovered a few of the terraining tricks (such as ctrl-pageup), I thought this would be the perfect place to begin putting some of them in action.

The crystals are supposed to be a somewhat tansparent green, but a few things wouldn't recolor right, and I didn't have much time to correct it.

Im actually working on adding more detail to the Forest right now, and I will probably create some more screenshots of my Snowy-continent as well soon.

Lastly, the pictures of the memorial do show things that don't fit, but yes, they fit with my friend. They're things that represent what he was like, and I still have a lot more I want to add. Probably going to redesign it soon anyway, since I discovered some new terraining tactics.

~Saryeit

Level 5
I was JUST thinking the same thing. The crystal-trees are a bit too clustered. I was just about to reorganize them throughout the terrain.

I do want to keep the Crystal Fields... The Crystal Fields still. I'll just spread them out in that crater a bit more, and the rest of them will be scattered throughout.

Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.