• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Forest Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi.

Some days ago I made a thread in this forum showing a WIP of a forest-like temple.
Well, here's the final work:

caprr.jpg

I know that this can still be improved a lot. Actually, this scenario is for a cinematic map of my current proyect, and that means that I'm still working on this. So, any suggestion is welcome.

Regards

Level 9
Thanks for your answer.
First of all, could you be more specific about how could I exactly improve the things you said? I think I need more details if I want to improve my terraining skills.
I mean, where do you think I should add more fog, or lights? Also, what type of sky would you advise me to use? I want an extremely-cloudy and smooth sky, but I don't know how to achieve it.

Note: I don't know how can I fix those lines. Any ideas?

Regards

Level 18
You should probably use different doodads to make the bridge and the ruins should have shorter vines aswell, not only long ones here and there

And I think that the waterfall on left should be removed as it doesn't really fit there, unlesss you'd change the forest on the left into some rocks with water streaming down from the top into the pit.

You also might want to take a few looks on the camera angle, as the foreground is not that great, changing the angle a bit could probably take eyes off it.

Level 14
Find the 'Ultimate Terraining Map'. It's here in the hive. Inside there are some great sky models. They look like huge spheres that you put over your terrain like a dome. Looks great ingame.

Change the angle of the picture. Might fix the lines on the bridge or just use a new model for it.
Or additionally you can hide the lines and ugly spots with vegetation and ruins/rocks.
In the ultimate teraining map there is also a fog effect and a few glow effects that will add great feel to your terrain also.

ps. I found it for you : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/

Level 18
Find the 'Ultimate Terraining Map'. It's here in the hive. Inside there are some great sky models. They look like huge spheres that you put over your terrain like a dome. Looks great ingame.

Change the angle of the picture. Might fix the lines on the bridge or just use a new model for it.
Or additionally you can hide the lines and ugly spots with vegetation and ruins/rocks.
In the ultimate teraining map there is also a fog effect and a few glow effects that will add great feel to your terrain also.

ps. I found it for you : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/

I'm pretty sure he has the ultimate terraining map. Judging by the models that are used in the terrain.

Level 9
You should probably use different doodads to make the bridge and the ruins should have shorter vines aswell, not only long ones here and there

And I think that the waterfall on left should be removed as it doesn't really fit there, unlesss you'd change the forest on the left into some rocks with water streaming down from the top into the pit.

You also might want to take a few looks on the camera angle, as the foreground is not that great, changing the angle a bit could probably take eyes off it.

I'll add short vines to the ruins, thanks for pointing that. Also, I think you're right about the waterfall, I'll remove it.
About the angle of the camera, remember that this is a cinematic, so the angle will be changing constantly, and the camera will only get the sight in the screenshot for a few seconds, so I think that would be a small problem. However, thanks for pointing it, I'll take your oppinion into consideration.

I already have the UTM. What's more, I made this terrain with it.
About those lines, I noticed that they appear randomly through the bridge as the angle of the camera changes, so I think the only thing I could do to eliminate them is to change the brick doodad, or put vegetation and rocks to hide them, as you said. I may use that idea.
Also, I'll try to experiment around with the environment (sky, fog...), and see if I can improve it.

Actually I love it the way it is with the background since its really fit a foggy temple no real sky needed, and no not the UTM, its too mainstream while the models there sucks(no offense UTM is really useful but...).

I'm glad you liked it. :)
I think exactly the same as you about the background! I didn't tried to make myself a sky because I didn't think it was necessary (I'll try around with the UTM skies, anyway).

Thank you all for your answers. They were very helpful.
I'm still waiting for more opinions and suggestions!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.